Let's Get Started-How to measure your neck

Sep 27, 2006

Dawn already has a picture on her blog, (link fixed!) it's looking great! Speaking of blogs, Crochetme Editor and Web Guru extrordinaire Kim is jetsetting this week on the start of her book tour (Did I mention she's coming to my town--very exciting!)--so we don't have a sidebar list of participants yet, but I'm sure we will very soon. And if you don't have a blog, you can leave comments here on my posts and send pictures to me at amy@crochetme.com.

A couple of people have asked me the best way to measure the back of your neck. The back neck measurement is taken above the shoulder, I'd say above the last bone in your spine. Mine is about 5 inches. you only measure the back, not the sides. It may help to have someone do it for you. If you can't measure the back of your neck, or if the sweater is not for you, you can always use a shirt with the size neck opening that you want and measure the back part of that.

Once you have your neck measurements you use it for the calculations at the beginning of the template--your foundation chain does not equal the full circumference of the neck opening. You won't have completed the neck opening until you join your work to form the V several rows later...

Questions? Keep 'em coming!

Comments

Judielaine wrote
on Sep 27, 2006 9:31 AM

Dawn's blog link seems unhappy!

Rebecca wrote
on Sep 27, 2006 10:05 AM

Besides seconding Judielaine's comment, I think I see this now...so the sides of the rows that you make when working your increase form a little horizonal space that goes across the front, while the original 40 chain lays across your shoulders, on your back? Am I visualizing this right?

gwerker wrote
on Sep 27, 2006 11:03 AM

gwerker wrote
on Sep 27, 2006 11:07 AM

Fixed now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Laurie wrote
on Sep 27, 2006 7:13 PM

I have a couple pics up on my blog, if anyone's interested.

gwerker wrote
on Sep 27, 2006 7:56 PM

Cool, Laurie, it looks great! I have done that so many times too (gotten up wearing the sweater and tripped on the ball of yarn!) :-)

Jennifer wrote
on Sep 28, 2006 2:25 PM

I've started the sweater. I've never actually used a gauge swatch (and the yarn is a bit fuzzy - making stitches more difficult to count)and the first attempt was WAY too big. I've resized twice now. I'm worried the neck hole is still too big, so I may frog it and try again to resize. This is my first fitted garment after years of nothing but rectangles, so maybe this is a beginner's mistake?

Louise wrote
on Sep 30, 2006 8:10 AM

I've restarted once. I originally measured 6 inches across the back of my neck and when I was done the front increases, it was never going to get over my head. So I frogged it. But before I did, I rechecked my gauge. It was the same. So I chained on an extra inch to 7 inches and it looks much better now. I'm using some handspun (this is a spin and crochet along for me) in blue/black and I can't wait to wear it.

Jennifer wrote
on Oct 2, 2006 4:37 PM

I've completed the armholes and the sweater is now long enough to come down below my bust. It seems to be less fitted than what is shown in the samples. I've checked my gauge, started over 3 times. At first, my actual sweater gauge was much larger than my gauge swatch. I thought I corrected it, but the sweater still seems big. I think I'm going to make long sleeves and make this one a more casual, oversized version. Hopefully it will look alright in the end. I'm still nervous about the outcome. Too bad it is pink and fuzzy, it might fit my husband by the time I'm done.

Anonymous wrote
on Oct 3, 2006 9:03 AM

Hi Jennifer--you can decrease under the arms if you'd like the sweater to be more fitted below the bust, OR, you could simple go down a couple of hook sizes. Try it out for a round or two and see what you think.

BrandiLee wrote
on Oct 10, 2006 12:37 PM

I have two questions:

1) am I right in thinking that if I increased the measurement for the back of my neck, worked a few rows, and then attached it (sort of pre-empting the V-neck), that I would get a round neck? Or, would that give me a huge hole? Is there a good formula for coming up with a round neck (I'd like to try a turtle-neck sort of thing at some point...)

2) Sleeves- I've read somewhere (sorry, I can't remember who wrote it)that its generally straight down until the elbows,...any general guidance for decreasing for the forearm, or should I try it on and rip it out, etc?

Sorry for the long questions, and thanks for any ideas!

gwerker wrote
on Oct 11, 2006 9:36 AM

Hi BrandiLee

1) To make a round neck, you can either slow the decreases down at the edges before the join, OR, you could make your foundation chain the correct size for the neckline from the beginning--30% for front and back, 15% for each sleeve, plus the seam stitches

2) You can start decreasing at the elbow, OR you could decide how narrow you want the sleeve to be at the bottom and how many rows (how long) you want the sleeve to be and divide that evenly, i.e. decrease 2 stitches every 4 rows to give you an even decrease throughout the sleeve.

BrandiLee wrote
on Oct 11, 2006 9:41 AM
Brilliant,

Thanks- I'll give it a shot!

Abdjiel4 wrote
on Jan 25, 2010 3:50 AM

Thanks for your advice, i often face problem in proper measurement of neck