Free eBook! 8 Free Granny Square Patterns

Aug 9, 2010

Granny squares are the heart of crochet. Crochet granny squares are building blocks for all sorts of projects, and the granny square has endless variations, from solid stitch squares to flowery squares. Here, we present you with How to Crochet Granny Squares: 8 Free Granny Square Patterns, taking you from a simple bracelet to a classic granny square afghan to a lovely vest.

Free Granny Square Patterns eBookThe basic granny square is a series of shells worked with increases at the corners to create a square. You'll find directions for the basic granny square motif on page 5 and tips for joining the motifs on page 14. If you're just venturing into granny squares, we have some great starter projects and simple granny square instructions.

The granny does what it does best in The Light & Shadow Blanket. Judith L. Swartz organizes the usual scrappy look into a color-shading blanket based on a quilt pattern.

With the Messenger Bag, Judith L. Swartz uses a four-round granny square as the building block, then joins several for a classic bag perfect for traveling around town. Styled after a bicycle messenger bag, it's great on the bike or off.

In the c hild's Boho Blocks Pullover, Valentina Devine incorporates a spoked wheel in the center of a granny motif. The garment is formed entirely of squares, with some clever folding under the arms.Once you have the basics down, you can explore variations on the granny square.

The Kaleidoscope Scarf by Judith L. Swartz is made up of the Sow Thistle Square Motif, a circle that blooms into a square.

The squares in the Four Corners Headband by MK Carroll are made up of solid stitches rather than shells, the better to show off pretty color-changing yarn.

The Bangle Bracelet by Marilyn Murphy is a perfect beginner project. Made up of tiny motifs squares worked in a light yarn, this project will give you the basics on how to crochet granny squares.

Tracy St. John's Beaux Jestes Socks pay homage to two classic afghan patterns: granny squares and ripples. The grannies are tiny two-round motifs that let you play with color—it's a great stashbuster if you have some sock-weight remnants.

Grannies step to the next level in Robyn Chachula's Gladiolus Vest. Stitch diagrams clearly show the variations on this elegant granny-full motif, half motif, three-quarter motif and quarter motif-and guide you through joining to create this lovely vest.

We hope you enjoy getting to know your grannies! And we'd love to see your finished granny square pattern in the gallery!

Best,

Comments

TerriLynnC wrote
on Aug 9, 2010 10:00 AM

Since I have crocheted for years and years, I thought I had done all I wanted to with granny squares, but these patterns are beautiful!  I especially like the vest pattern.  Nice selection--thank you so much for starting the week off with such a nice gift.

cocoisa wrote
on Aug 9, 2010 10:04 AM

Muchas gracias por el libro, esta precioso, tiene maravillosos proyectos.

Saludos.

kcrochet wrote
on Aug 9, 2010 10:51 AM

These are NOT all granny squares.  A granny square is a distinct kind of square.  Every square motif is not a granny square.  I think it's important to use terms correctly.  I expect better from Interweave.

on Aug 9, 2010 1:16 PM

These are cute "Square Motif" patterns, but only a half of them are actually "Granny Squares".

Granny squares are made in a particular way. Start in the center, worked alternating groups of DC (cluster) & spaces, increased at the corners, with each new round working the  clusters into the spaces of the prior round. Just because something is a square and is worked in the round from the center out, that doesn't mean it is a granny square.

Granny Square Patterns: 1, 2, 6, & 7

Regular Squares (Not Granny): 3, 4, 5, 8

I appreciate the free patterns, but you are doing more harm than good by confusing people on the terms.

celita2112 wrote
on Aug 10, 2010 8:55 AM

Muchas gracias, por compartirlo, estos trabajos son muy bonitos. Cariños, Cele

bradp wrote
on Aug 12, 2010 2:07 AM

This article was a interesting read.

I've just sent this to my friends.

Contains very useful bits I have to say.

Jason

————————————–--------------------

www.thelatestmobile.co.uk

www.online-free-betting.com

SPLES wrote
on Aug 22, 2010 8:45 AM

so here is the blog how does one get the free upload?

Marcy Smith wrote
on Aug 22, 2010 4:34 PM

Hi SPLES,

Click on the link in the first paragraph or click on the picture to get to the download.

Enjoy!

Marcy

lionxlamb wrote
on Dec 8, 2010 10:39 AM

Thank you so much for this free ebook.I love it.

I love all the designs.The are very unique and beautiful.I love the Beaux Jestes Socks very much.And I'm planning to make a Bangle Bracelet for my sisters.They will be very happy.

Thank you again,for everything.

on Jan 29, 2011 8:31 AM

I would like to download  the 8 Free Granny Square Patterns without being able too. I have joined Crochet Me recently. Thank you.