Preview the Fall Issue of Interweave Crochet

Aug 16, 2010

Welcome to the Fall issue of Interweave Crochet!

In this issue, we play with yarns from thin to thick and everywhere in between. The gorgeous cover sweater, the Sage Jacket by Dora Ohrenstein, is an elegant sweater that can be dressed down beautifully as well. The highly textured pattern is very engaging. The Magnum Jacket by Maureen Basher, works up quickly with chubby yarns on a big hook. The lacy Sangria Cardigan by Megan Granholm is a more intensive project, worked in alpaca and silk laceweight, but when you are done, you will reach for this versatile cardi again and again.

Sage Jacket Magnum Jacket Sangria Cardigan

In a special project section, we explore the beauty that can happen when a crochet hook and knitting needles get involved in the same project. Our goal was to move beyond using crochet as a mere adornment or finishing technique for knitting. Our very skilled designers have fused the two crafts in these Crochet + Knit projects to make something greater than the sum of its parts.

In the Autumn Rose Pullover by Natasha Robarge, ribbing does all the shaping through the waist of the knitted body with rich Irish crochet mesh sleeves. In Annette Petavy's Oak Leaf Vest, crochet and knitting combine seamlessly in panels where the natural elasticity of the garter stitch does all the work of shaping, without having to increase or decrease. It's perfect for crocheters just learning to knit. If you've never knitted before, The Snow Queen Hat by Anastasia Popova is a perfect starter project. Worked in the round, it calls for just the knit stitch. We include all the knitting instructions you need to make the projects.

Autumn Rose Pullover Oak Leaf Vest Snow Queen Hat

Dora Ohrenstein explores crochet's most basic stitch, the slip stitch, and provides a super-quick slip-stitch hat. In our Craftivism column, we have a pattern for a walker tote bag. Plus we have the next five squares in the Chain Reaction Afghan Project. Check out the full preview here.

Acorn Cap Walker Caddy Picture Frame Square

I've just picked my yarn to make a version of this afghan. Stay tuned to my blog for progress. And be sure to post your own versions in our gallery. I can't wait to see what colors you've chosen!

Be sure to cast your vote for your favorite reader squares in the Chain Reaction Afghan Project! The top ten squares will be published in future issues of Interweave Crochet and become part of the final Chain Reaction Afghan.

Enjoy.

Best,

p.s. The Fall issue is arriving a little early this year, so we can bring you another issue filled with crochet projects. Look for our special issue, Crochet Accessories, at your LYS or local newsstand in October.

Comments

AprilGarwood wrote
on Aug 16, 2010 10:12 AM

Is the voting for the chain reaction project going to get a more visible link than the one in this blog post?  It's not going to get nearly as many votes without a direct link on the homepage or something.  There is a link to info about the project on the homepage, but even that still doesn't take you to a link for the voting gallery.  It would sure be nice to have it be more visible.  Thanks! :)

Donna@2 wrote
on Aug 25, 2010 10:18 AM

Hi!

I've just recieved my fall CROCHET magazine. It's beautiful!

The Blue Ridge Hoodie is featured as being an online project available for a limited time but I cannot find it. Please tell me how I may access it.

on Aug 25, 2010 10:21 AM

Hi Donna@2. We are thrilled that you like the Fall issue!

You can find the Blue Ridge Hoodie here crochetme.com/.../112582.aspx.

Just click on the download now button. Enjoy!

jesusisalive wrote
on Aug 25, 2010 11:23 AM

Mrs. Smith,

I love the idea of putting knit & crochet together in one project! I was so inspired by the Topsy-Turvy Doll (Fall 2010 pg. 74) that I started making it for my daughter. I finished the bodies and the crocheted top, and almost have finished the knitted top. I am stumped. On pg. 76, in the third column where it says shoulders, it says to join front to back using 3 needle bind-off, working one shoulder at a time. I did that. Two shoulders are bound off but what about the live stitches? Where is the hole for the head? Thank you. Have a wonderful day!

Donna@2 wrote
on Aug 25, 2010 11:56 AM

Thank you for your quick reply, Toni.

As a fairly new (albeit older) knitter seeking to incorporate the art of crochet to my list of skills, I, too, appreciate patterns that combine components of both knit and crochet. Yours is a magazine I will not pare out of my budget because of both your choices in publication as well as your kind consideration for a non-geek stumbling around online.

Blessings,

Donna

Marcy Smith wrote
on Aug 26, 2010 10:03 AM

Hi jesusisalive,

I'm so happy you're making the Coco-Holly doll! I love this doll! I'd love to see a picture of your version when it's done.

To work the next row, you single crochet into the live knit stitches, pulling them off the needle as your work. This creates a seamless join. This is a "new" method exclusive to the knit/crochet project. If you're not comfortable with this method, you can cast off the neck edge, then work the crochet row. But this method will create a bit of tightness at the join.

Have fun!

Marcy

jesusisalive wrote
on Aug 26, 2010 12:31 PM

Mrs. Smith,

Thank you very much; I will try this! I am excited to work on it once again!

I would be happy to send a picture when it is done!

Have a wonderful day!

on Aug 26, 2010 8:53 PM

Need the survey from readers on suggestion of the change on magazine, will be helpful .... I noticed that the magazine issue get thinner every next one than past. Should like to see more friendly for visual crocheters with full blueprint and diagrams of lovely projects. Post the full blueprint of lodestar tunic what I or other want to do this project  -- lack of diagrams of patt A and patt b -- only motifs of tunic belt  on Issue Summer 2010, page 78-83.

Is this helpful to you? Anyone, also can give a request  or blog on any pattens of the magazine of past which should be competed blueprint/ diagrams.

T.S.B wrote
on Aug 27, 2010 4:12 PM

*sigh* I guess I will pick IK back up and leave IC alone since it seems to be mainly knitting anyway.

faye@22 wrote
on Aug 28, 2010 11:16 AM

I am disappointed in the Fall issue of IC. I subscribe to the this as it is suppose to be the best CROCHET magazine available. Including 7 patterns that  have knitted elements in an issue that is part of the subscription is a disservice to subscription holders. If I wanted to subscribe to a magazine that provided knitting projects, I would subscribe to IK  : If I was a vegan and subscribed to a Vegan magazine, I would not want to see  recipes for cooking beef steak or lamb. If this trend continues, I will have to rethink how I allocate my limited subscription funds.

PamP@23 wrote
on Aug 29, 2010 8:09 AM

I just renewed my subscription a month ago and got the 5 for 4 deal, so I will be sticking with you for a while.  I agree with many people that I don't want to see so many knit patterns.  Knitting patterns are fairly easy to find across a broad spectrum of yarns, but few crocheted ones.  If you check out the pattern suggestions for yarns at say yarn.com they are mostly knit. So now we are getting knit patterns in our crochet magazine. Even the patterns in the ads in the magazine are mostly knit, so please, please give us more crochet patterns. We need them.  Also I would like to see more suggestions for different brands like the UK magazine Inside Crochet does. That helps when one can't afford to Buffalo Bijou.

cowgirlcrysi wrote
on Sep 1, 2010 3:09 PM

I picked up the Interweave crochet today and I get home start flipping and I see Knitting in my hooker mag.

Don’t get me wrong I can appreciate Knitting. I can knit a little… straight things.. nothing in a round… that scares me but I can knit..

That said after seeing a couple patterns I love- Magnum Jacket -Pink Cos-mose coat ( I would make in green)-and that great felted bag…. I was taken a bit aback when I saw something that looked out of place. Like it belonged in IK. It was like oh this looks like fun.. crap it’s Knit.

Sorry I usually am very excited to pick up IWC not today. :(

we get so few non granny square, motif , things that to find pieces that are more then 70 percent Knit in my crochet mag is extremely disappointing.

the majority of the combined patterns looked like they where out of place. Like they belonged in interweave Knits.  to call a piece that is majorly knitting  with either only sleeves or edging that is very simple ( no matter how simple it seems ) crochet  is exactly what may crocheters deal with all the time. the whole you should learn how to knit  thing... well, maybe we either don't want to learn or can and prefer crochet.

I can see it a s a supplemental piece but it was fairly out of place in IWC..

my Local Yarn Store owner also agreed it was out of place. ( and she mainly Knits!)