From One Crochet Fangirl to Another

Jan 17, 2011

Dear Kristin,

It was lovely seeing you in California at TNNA (The National Needlearts Association, of course). I hope your sprained ankle is on the mend.

So, I don't think we've talked about this thing I have with Crochet So Fine. These lovely readers of the CrochetMe enewsletter already know I have a deep love for it. But I thought I had it under control. I was hoping not to go all fangirl on you.

But, I just want to say: How is it that I have drooled all over this book (yes, the readers know about that, too), and yet did not notice the Sprouts Chains Shawlette? How did I not start it right away?

I fixed that last night. I crocheted all the way into the Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson (what is with that Geoff robot dude? Very strange). I crocheted all the way up to row 29 using a great hand-dyed yarn a friend gave me for Christmas. The pattern is so smart, so mathematical. so mesmerizing. Once I started, the patterning was super clear and I could just crochet away.

Then I decided the yarn was working up a bit too firmly for a shawlette. So I wound up a second ball—another hand-dyed yarn, with more dramatic color changes. And this amazing thing happened: in those places where you do a single crochet, the shawlette developed these sweet drips of colors—kind of like when you draw a toothpick through cupcake icing to create a design on top. Take a look at the image above to see what I mean. Cool, huh?

And you'll probably notice there that I've perched the work-in-progress on the new eBook version of Crochet So Fine. It's on my little netbook, so I can reference the pattern on the go (I have it on my Mac, too, in case I want to look at it on a larger screen).

I can't wait to get to the sweet flowers on the edging. I'm pretty certain I'll be up to the edging by the end of the weekend. I was going to do a Crochet-Along, but really the pattern is so addictive, you're almost done before you can begin talking about it. But I'll check with the readers to see if they're interested in a Crochet-Along. Meanwhile, I'll be blogging about the finished shawlette, so you can check on it in my blog on CrochetMe. I'm planning to wear this as big scarf, but I can see making a silk version to wear over a dress. Oh, and finishing? Weaving in just two ends? Crazy brilliant.

So, yeah, I just really love this book. And I'm not even really wild about fine-weight yarn (I'm really more of a mid-weight-yarn kind of gal).

We don't need to speak of it again, my friend. Just know that I'm here blissfully crocheting away from Crochet So Fine.

Best,

Comments

lulu1852 wrote
on Jan 17, 2011 2:08 PM

How do I get the pattern for this beautiful shawlette?

TheresaT@6 wrote
on Jan 17, 2011 2:33 PM

The pattern is from "Crochet So Fine".  I made the Sprout Chains Shawlette using Shulana Seta Bella 100% French Silk and a #4 Hook and needed to work 92 rows to get the dimensions :)  (But, I really, really wanted to use that silk in black for our "Man of La Mancha" dinner/theatre night).  From that same book, I also made the Dragonfly Shawl in Tilli Tomas's Symphony Lace w/Beads & Glitter for our Holiday Party - it was absolutely gorgeous!!!!!  I'd love to share photos; please let me know how and I will :)

DenaC@2 wrote
on Jan 17, 2011 3:45 PM

I ordered the download of Crochet So Fine but after 30 minutes it STILL isn't in my "library".  I'm so anxious to have it that this is frustrating!!  Hope they don't take too much longer to get it available to me.

on Jan 17, 2011 5:00 PM

That looks like a beautiful shawl!

on Jan 17, 2011 6:13 PM

It's lovely!

HeatherA@20 wrote
on Jan 17, 2011 11:52 PM

I purchased this book from zinio on your recommendation and I am very disappointed.  I am unable to create bookmarks or to print from the digital edition.  (Nor can this book be accessed from an iPod or iPhone.)   I can't see crocheting from this book with my computer on my lap.  I wish I had waited and ordered a hard copy.  I am very disappointed.

Marcy Smith wrote
on Jan 18, 2011 12:30 PM

Hi Heather,

You should be able to print from the digital issue. There's a button at the top with an icon of a printer. You can also highlight the text, and add notes. Be sure to download the Zinio Reader package for your computer. This allows for more features than the download that simply lets you view the book.

Let me know if you need help with this.

Best,

Marcy

HeatherA@20 wrote
on Jan 18, 2011 1:11 PM

Marcy, I have installed and reinstalled all the software for my computer.  The features you mention only work with magazines but not with Crochet So Fine.  I have sent a message to zinio support but they have not replied.  According to their email they ar experienceing  a backlog of problems.  My frustration continues.

HeatherA@20 wrote
on Jan 18, 2011 1:15 PM

Marcy, could it be that the Canadian edition of zinio is different? My printer icon is at the bottom and I cannot highlight text or add notes.  I am supposed to be able to make bookmarks or clips and include notes with those.  This feature, however, only works on magazines.  When I try to add a bookmark or clip I receive this error message:  Synchronization of favourites with online server failed.

kimk@36 wrote
on Jan 18, 2011 2:46 PM

I'd love to download it if I could get it on my kindle.

HeatherA@20 wrote
on Jan 18, 2011 3:40 PM

Finally figured out the problem with the zinio digital download of Crochet So Fine.   The print, highlighting and notes only work on zinio reader 3.  Printing, bookmarks and clips only work for magazines on zinio reader 4.

zinio files cannot be downloaded onto other ereaders or iPods, or iPhones.  Some magazines can be read on iPods and iPhones.  Be sure to read the fine print, not the promo info.

on Aug 25, 2011 11:01 AM

The Sprout Chains Shawlette joins the FO list!