A Valentine's Gift for You

Feb 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day! As a single teenager, I was never very fond of Valentine's Day. Then I learned that this special holiday provided me with the opportunity to celebrate my love for anything. In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I propose that today we celebrate our love for all the yarn inspired crafts in our lives.

I'm sure you can think of innumerable ways to celebrate your love for yarn crafts. You could buy yourself a skein of that special yarn you have had your eye on (even better than a dozen roses in my mind) or start a new project for yourself. I am planning on crocheting up several quick motifs. I'll pin them on jackets and bags and plan on making enough to give several away for friends to decorate their own clothing and accessories as well. And while crochet is my first love, I have been teaching myself to knit; the two techniques seem to love each other.

This means I will be making both the crocheted Primrose flower and the Knitted Mitered Solid Leaf, both found in 150 Knit & Crochet Motifs. Don't worry if you find that your crochet and knit motifs don't get along quite as well. I counted the motifs, and they are split almost exactly in half between crochet and knit; plus the author provides great ideas for combining the motifs to create a variety of projects.

Crocheted Lace Heart
By Toni Rexroat

Finished Size:5 1/4" tall and 3" wide at widest point.
Yarn: South West Trading Company Terra
Hook Size: E/4 (3.5 mm)

Section 1
Ch 12, sl st in first ch to join.Row 1:  Ch 4 (counts as tr), [tr in ring, ch 3, dc in top of tr just worked, tr in ring] 2 times, tr in ring, ch 2, 10 tr in ring, turn.
Row 2: Ch 5, sl st in first tr (picot made), sc in next 9 tr, turn.

Section 2
Set-up row: Ch 1, sc in first sc, ch 3, sk next 3 sc, sc in next sc, ch 9, sc in first sc.Row 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), [dc in ring, ch 3, dc in dc just worked, dc in ring] 3 times, dc in ring, 9 dc in ring, ch 2, sl st in picot from previous section, turn.
Row 2: Ch 5, sl st in first sl st (picot made), sk first dc, sc in next 8 dc.

Section 3
Set-up row:
Ch 1, sc in first sc, ch 3, sk next 3 sc, sc in next sc, ch 9, sc in first sc.
Row 1: Ch 4 (counts as tr), [tr in ring, ch 3, dc in tr just worked, tr in ring] 3 times, tr in ring, ch 2, 9 tr in ring, sl st in picot.
Rep Row 2 of section 2.

Section 4
Rep section 3.

Finishing
Turn, ch 1, sc in next 3 tr, working in row ends, work 2 dc and 3 sc, ending with last sc just before first ring. Fasten off and weave in loose ends.

Knitted Entrelac Heart
By Eunny Jang

Finished Size: 5 1/4" long and 3 1/4" wide at widest point.
Yarn: Tahki Coast, distributed by Tahki Stacy Charles.

Needles: Size 6 (4 mm)

CO 4 sts

Tier 1
Block 1

Row 1: (RS) Knit.

Work 7 more rows in St st, slipping first st of RS each row, ending WS row.

Tier 2
With RS facing, CO 4 sts with knitted CO.

Block 1

Row 1: (RS) K to last st, ssk (you will join last st of current block and first st of block below).

Row 2: Sl1, work to end.

Rep rows 1 and 2 until all sts of block below are used up, ending Row 1.

Tier 3
With WS facing, CO 4 sts with knitted CO.

Block 1

Row 1: (WS) P to last st, p2tog (you will join last st of current block and first st of block below).

Row 2: Sl1, work to end.

Rep Rows 1-2 until all sts of block below are used up, ending with Row 1.

Block 2

With WS facing, pick up and purl 4 sts along empty edge of block below.

Beg with a knit (RS) row, work 8 rows in St st, slipping first st of each RS row, ending WS.

Tier 4
With RS facing, CO 4 sts with knitted CO.

Block 1

Work as for Tier 2, Block 1.

Block 2

With RS facing, pick up and knit 4 sts along empty edge of block below.

Row 1: (WS) Work to end.

Row 2: Sl1, k2, ssk.

Rep Rows 1-2 until all sts of block below are used up, ending with Row 2.

Tier 5
With WS facing, CO 4 sts with knitted CO.

Block 1

Work as for Tier 3, Block 1.

Block 2

With WS facing, pick up and purl 4 sts along empty edge of block below.

Row 1: (RS) Work to end.

Row 2: Sl1, p2, p2tog.

Rep Rows 1-2 until all sts have been used up, ending with Row 2.

Block 3

Work as for Tier 3, Block 2

Tier 6
With RS facing, CO 2 sts using knitted CO.

Block 1

Row 1: (RS) K1, ssk.

Rows 2, 4, 6: Sl1, work to end.
Row 3: Sl1, ssk.
Row 5: Sl1, m1, ssk.
Row 7: Sl1, m1, k1, ssk.

Block 2
Work as for Tier 4, Block 2.
Block 3

Work as for Tier 4, Block 2.

Tier 7
With WS facing, CO 4 sts with knitted CO.
Block 1

Work as for Tier 3, Block 1.

Block 2

Work as for Tier 5, Block 2.

Block 3

Work as for Tier 5, Block 2. BO 3 sts.

Tier 8

Block 1
Work as for Tier 4, Block 2, picking up only 3 sts along block below.

Block 2

Work as for Tier 4, Block 2. BO 3 sts.

Tier 9
Block 1
With WS facing, pick up and purl 3 sts along empty edge of block below.
Rows 1, 3, 5, 7: (RS) Sl1, work to end.
Row 2: Sl1, p2tog, p2tog.
Row 4:
P2tog, p2tog.
Row 6:
P3tog.
Row 8:
P2tog.
Fasten off.

Comments

Karen@19 wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 6:54 AM

I created a heart using a variation of a granny square... leaving 2 long tails, I've tied them to baby hats donated to the local hospital for new borns.

ch 4, join. (leave a 2-4 inch tail, if you like)

dc, hdc, dc in ring, ch 3, 3dc in ring, ch 3, 3dc in ring, ch 3, join to first dc.

slip stitch to hdc, sc into ring, loosely over hdc... ch 2 or 3 and fasten off. (leaving a 2-4 inch tail)

poke the 2 tails through the knitted/crocheted piece and tie w/a bow, for easy removal when the season is over.  (working with 2 strands, 1 red, 1 white, or sparkly Christmas yarns... then you don't need to leave the tail at the beginning of the work, just fasten with the 2 tails left when you fasten off)

Use a hook size based on the weight of the yarn.

Next I created a shamrock for the March babies... now I'm experimenting with bunnies, eggs, etc  for April babies.

dplantlady wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 7:57 AM

Although an interesting exercise, the "finishing" row makes no sense...I've just done 8 sc in trebles (not doubles), if I turn & ch 1, there are no doubles and there are no "ends of rows" in sight...

Maybe I'll try Karen's below...

savannagal wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 8:30 AM

It would be nice to see a photo of the FO. Neither photo above looks like a heart.

nehifamily wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 9:37 AM

That was my thinking, too...that I do not see a heart here.  I also kinda wonder what the point of this one is.  I mean, what do you use it for?

dplantlady wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 9:50 AM

My guess is that the two pieces together are supposed to magically combine to form a heart...NOT

My feeling is that both motifs may have been truncated to form these half-heart shapes. I don't know, though...

krismort wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 10:40 AM

Look at Toni's last paragraph. She says that they are half-hearts and the picture at the top looks like a lacy crocheted half-heart and a knitted entralac half-heart. I don't have time today to try them but I'm sure they could be worked into a whole heart, even if you just stitch 2 of them together. I like Karen's idea of a granny heart. I make granny Christmas stockings and granny hearts would be a good complement. Thanks for posting your pattern.

krismort wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 10:47 AM

Oh, and the Christmas stockings are a 5-sided granny, 3 rounds. (You could do more rounds for a bigger stocking but it loses its cuteness.) Fold it in half and sc 2 edges together, a ch st hanger at the top, then sc around top edge with an optional ch 1 between each sc.

Annebean wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 9:15 PM

To the commenters above, it's important to read things properly!  Look at the last para ... "And in the spirit of Valentine's Day, we have created a heart pattern where knit and crochet work together. Make both the knit and crochet halves or just the crochet, and be sure to share your love of crochet with others this Valentine's Day."

Thanks Toni.  I love the combination of the knitting and crochet.  And for those who don't knit, like you say, 2 crochet halves can be joined together.

Anne

robynlyn wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 8:19 AM

I understand the half-heart concept, but I am also having trouble understanding the finishing instructions for the crochet heart:

Finishing

I'd love to finish it, but I'm just not sure how we're supposed to work these stitches in the row ends and end up near the first ring. :-) Thank you!

DeLaCroche wrote
on Feb 16, 2011 1:09 PM

Toni,

I'm glad you're learning to knit.  But this is a crochet site.  When I want to learn a new knitting pattern I'm not going to go to CrochetMe to look for it.  One of the things that makes crochet extremely appealing to me is that I could do it for the rest of my life and never learn it all.  Even with the standard crochet stitches there are hundreds of patterns that could be made of them.  Add in the long list of crochet techniques and add thousands of other combinations.  Consider adding even more complex stitches and combinations and there are thousands more.  Why you would choose a knit pattern for this site, then, is beyond me.

MeeshaB wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 12:58 AM

Hi Toni,

This is the first time I have ever posted a comment on any site that I have visited ..... but I feel compelled to in this instance.  I am teaching myself (via various internet sites) to crochet and I love to read the comments left by people relating to the patterns etc.  I read the comments so as to add to my knowledge of crocheting and thus help me to improve as I struggle along the learning of this great past-time.  I would love to get to a stage where I can donate my items to charities to be either sold to raise necessary funds or to give to those in need.

I am sure the majority of those visiting this crocheting site would not care one way or the other that you had talked about 'learning to knit' and had posted a knitting pattern as well as a crochet one. They, like myself are most likely  thankful for it.  I love it!  I am hoping that the comment by deLaCroche was because she was having a bad day is now regretting the harshness of the comment.  Hope I am not out of line for this comment as I would not like to offend anyone.  Keep up the good work.