iCrocheted a New iCozy

Mar 14, 2011

So, how many of you rushed out and bought a new iPad last week?

Well, I did! But not the iPad2— I got the first-generation iPad, because it was on sale!

I also got the standard-issue Mac cover for it, because I like to protect my new investments. The comes-in-black-only cover was the best, most practical and least expensive way to protect the device. But I don't love it. It's plain, unattractive and likely to get lost in the shadows of my bag. What to do?

Cover it in crochet, of course!

I love this crazy cozy!

Here's how this cozy came about: When designers send their submissions, they include a swatch, some sizable, depending on the scale of the garment. If we don't accept the submission, we return it, swatch and all. But if we do accept the submission, we retain the swatch.

So, after the issue is all put together, those swatches go into a swatch bin.

And that's where I went for inspiration for my iCozy.

I found in there a few chubby swatches. Do you recognize them?

The big motif is from Sue Balcom's submission: Carmen's Jazz Scarf, which became the cover of Interweave Crochet Accessories 2010. The purple swatch is from Sheryl Means' submission for the Spice Market Tunic (Interweave Crochet Fall 2009). And the tan swatch sent by Margaret Hubert became the Pink Cosmos Coat (Interweave Crochet Fall 2010). Margaret's swatch came with a couple of bonuses: a button, which I used to close the iCozy by tucking it through a loop on Sue's motif, and a wee pocket--on the back there--perfect for tucking in the glass-cleaning cloth.

So, how great is that? An iCozy with bits of some of my favorite designs!

Spice Market Tunic Sheryl Means
Interweave Crochet Fall 2009

Carmen's Jazz Scarf by Sue B. Balcom
Interweave Crochet Accessories 2010

Pink Cosmos Coat by Margaret Hubert
Interweave Crochet Fall 2010

Thanks to Sheryl, Sue and Margaret for helping me put together the best iCozy ever!

What patterns will you cozy up to this year? We're ready to find out the top designs for 2011 and soon will retire the Best of 2010 eBooks: Top Ten Patterns for Crochet Accessories and Top Ten Patterns for Crochet Shawls, Scarves, and Stoles. Before we do, we're putting them on sale, so you can get ten patterns for the price of about two!

I do love a sale.

Best,

Comments

sasanqua wrote
on Mar 14, 2011 9:38 AM

will you make a pattern for an i pad cover?????????? Maybe the apple store would pay u also.

Please reply yea or nay- I like the one you did.

Nancy

catjmoses wrote
on Mar 14, 2011 1:05 PM

Ms Marcy,

I love the 'iCozy'!  Very creative with the different patterns and colors.  I was thinking about sewing a 'cozy' for my new phone, but now I think I will crochet one instead.  Thanks for the idea.   Cathy

sukigirl wrote
on Mar 14, 2011 3:38 PM

I love this idea...I've been thinking about making a cover for mine but I also wanted to keep my black case because it's great protection. You've given me something to think about....cheers suki

PaulaJ wrote
on Mar 15, 2011 5:48 AM

Love your new iCozy!  I got my first Macbook this year, but I haven't covered it in crochet....yet.  I feel inspired by your lovely design!

Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 15, 2011 4:07 PM

Hi sasanqua,

Yes! I'll put up a pattern for an iPad cozy by next week. Stay tuned!

Love to hear how other folks are keeping their electronics cozy!

Marcy

Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 15, 2011 4:10 PM

Hi Sukigirl74,

I do keep my iPad inside the black case. The black case fits inside the cozy. Is that too Luddite? :)

Paula J: I made a cozy for my Macbook out of an old sweater that I felted, then cut to size. I added a button to the flap. Works great! (and no case-inside-a-case for the Macbook. It's not quite as fragile). Very excellent at the airport, because it  slides out & back in pretty quickly at security.

Marcy

kinnicchick wrote
on Mar 22, 2011 2:41 PM

I love it! Usually I end up tearing out swatches and  just reusing the yarn in my current project, but I really love seeing all of the creative ideas people come up with for utilizing them in other things. This is really beautiful!

on Aug 23, 2011 4:53 PM

Greetings, Crocheters! As my first blog post as the new Assistant Editor for Interweave Crochet, I thought

on Aug 25, 2011 10:59 AM

What's your clever use for swatches?

nelpat wrote
on Nov 5, 2011 10:00 PM

Please make diagrams    of stiches   i love to crochet