Finding the Perfect Spring Crochet-Along

Mar 24, 2011

Spring officially began last Sunday, and the weather here in Colorado complied with balmy temperatures in the high 60s. I guess that means it's time to rotate the clothing in my closet and the projects in my crochet queue. As I imagine many of you would, I chose to update my crochet queue before my closet.

The first step was pulling out my back issues of Interweave Crochet. If you don't have a full set, stop by the Interweave Store. I love having easy access to all the patterns and articles.

I was looking for something quick and lacy. Doris Chan's China Doll crocheted tunic (above left) from the Spring 2006 issue caught my attention with its pale lilac shell pattern. I added it to this year's queue, but I really wanted the instant gratification of a quick crocheted accessory and Carol Ventura's Spring Market Bag (above right) from the Spring 2009 issue also found a place on my queue.

My search concluded with the Summer 2010 issue. Mimi Alelis'  Moth Wings Shrug is the perfect spring project and a great gift. A good friend of mine is getting married this summer and has been searching for the perfect shrug to wear with her wedding dress. This pretty crochet motif creation is so feminine and the luscious Nazli Gelin Garden thread is relatively inexpensive.

Moth Wings Shrug, Summer 2010

I know I'm not the only one who has fallen in love with this delicate crocheted shrug. So I am hosting a crochet-along on Crochet Me. (See the schedule below.) Come join us and learn how to join motifs as you go and check out our new Crochet-Along page!

Schedule

March 30th–April 6th: Order yarn and pattern.
April 6th–April 13th: Get gauge!
April 13th–April 20th: Work base row of motifs.
April 20th–April 27th: Complete the right front.
April 27th–May 4th: Complete the left front.
May 4th–May 11th: Complete the back.
May 11th–May 18th: Complete the sleeves and collar.
May 18th–May 25th: Complete the edgings and block.

Don't forget to go to the Interweave Store to get your Interweave Crochet back issue for almost half off. This sale goes through March 28th. Then I'll see you over on Crochet Me.

Comments

leeko825 wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 8:28 AM

This may be a really dumb question, but I am going to ask it anyway. Can participate in the Crochet-along online?

on Mar 24, 2011 9:07 AM

Hi leeko825. There are no dumb questions and I'm glad you asked. Yes, this will be an online crochet-along. You can visit the forum with questions or just post comments on your progress and talk to others in the CAL. I'm also encouraging people to post photos of their projects in the gallery.

I hope you'll join us. It's going to be fun!

www.crochetme.com/.../119205.aspx

zewdita wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 12:35 PM

How can I join?

on Mar 24, 2011 3:51 PM

Joining us is easy. Simply get the pattern and your thread/yarn and start crocheting. You can post questions and follow us on the forum and post pictures of your project or view others' projects in the gallery.

The great part about joining us in this crochet along is that if you have questions you can post them on the forum, and you will find people working on the same section of the project. I will also be posting blogs to help explain some of the sections of the shrug—including the joining as you go.

RuthS@8 wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 5:19 PM

Can you clarify which thread the pattern requires. There is a #3, #10 and I think others. One is classified lace, one is classified fine. I would like to get the correct thread.

Milangirl

RuthS@8 wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 5:23 PM

I'm confused as to which thread to purchase for this CAL. There is a #3 and #10 and others as far as I know. Could you clarify.

Ruth

on Mar 24, 2011 7:58 PM

That bolero is really cute!

on Mar 25, 2011 9:08 AM

This shrug uses Nazli Gelin Garden 10. The metallic thread is the same weight, and in fact, I am using the metallic thread for my shrug. I will post pictures of my first gauge motif soon.

www.universalyarn.com/quality_color.php

AnnieL wrote
on Mar 30, 2011 12:18 PM

Hi, Toni!  I'm so very glad you've chosen this shrug.  I previously purchased the pattern and started practicing motifs.  I'm having trouble getting the right gauge.  My corner joins also do not look correct.  I look forward to learning with you.

BTW, the crochet thread I bought is South Maid, Size 10.  Is this appropriate?  I bought enough thread to make 5 shrugs, 2 pink, 2 green, 1 yellow.

on Mar 30, 2011 1:55 PM

Hi AnnieL, I am so glad you are joining our crochet-along. I also did not get gauge right away either and ended up switching to a slightly smaller hook. Your thread should work just fine, though it is a bit stiffer and that might affect your gauge.

I will be posting a blog next week about joining as you go. I'm finding that the joins look a little messy at first but blocking fixes that.

Toni

AnnieL wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 7:39 AM

Thanks, Toni.  I'll continue to work on gauge . . . The recipients will appreciate a correct fit.

letscrochet wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 6:41 PM

I would like to invite anyone interested to my free crochet alongs on my Facebook page.  Everyone really seems to enjoy them, and I hope you will too.  Once completed, other members vote on the pictures posted of everyone's completed projects and we select winners in several categories.  Hope to see you guys there.

www.facebook.com/crocheting