Finding a New Passion: A Conversation about Sockupied

Apr 11, 2011

I always have more craft projects going than time to work on them. But that has never stopped me from starting something new, whether that is crocheting an afghan or another hat, sewing a skirt, or learning how to knit socks. Okay, I have yet to tackle knitting socks, so when the new issue of Sockupied became available I immediately downloaded the new eMag.

Then I sat down with the editor, Anne Merrow,  to find out more about this new product. Here is an excerpt of our conversation:

How would you describe Sockupied?

Sockupied is technique wrapped in pure fun!

OK, more specifically Sockupied is an eMag-a completely interactive digital publication-that focuses on sock knitting. It includes videos, articles, patterns, illustrations, and interactivity designed to help you make just the socks you want, socks that fit your feet and your knitting styles.

What are the greatest benefits of eMags?

I think it's the combination of elements and perspectives. It's the only medium I know of where you can watch a video, look at illustrations and photos (and zoom in if necessary), and read directions simultaneously-so you don't have to choose between learning visually and by reading directions.

Why an eMag about socks?

Like a lot of knitters, I've fallen in love with sock knitting. Socks are habit forming, I think Cookie A. said it best when I asked her this question: Socks are the perfect "canvas." They're small enough that you can try something adventurous and still finish in your lifetime; they're worked almost entirely in the round (for people who don't like to purl); they use a pretty consistent amount of yarn (and beautiful yarn at that!); and they're wonderful to wear. Knit socks

Socks look complicated, but they use a pretty consistent set of skills: knitting in the round, increasing and decreasing, following charts, and a few others.

What is the best part about making socks?

For me, the best part is putting them on at the end and feeling how well they fit. There are other parts that are close, too: I love buying sock yarn, I love trying something new and figuring it out, I love seeing the innovative patterns that designers create, and I love the community of sock knitters! It's surprising that something so utilitarian inspires a lot of passion, but the people I've met through sock knitting are clever and interesting and really generous with their knowledge.

What is your favorite part of Sockupied Spring 2011?

When I see the draft versions of the issue, there are always a few things that make me clap and jump up and down. I am childishly amused by the way the skeins of sock yarn appear in the Great Yarns feature. For sheer enjoyment, my favorite thing inColor Me Argyle this issue is the "Color Me Argyle" painter applet, where you select an area of an argyle sock and choose a color to fill it in with. (I'm not always very brave when it comes to color, but some of the colors that look good together have really surprised me.)

In terms of usefulness, the one part I'll use over and over is Chrissy Gardiner's article on changing the heel of a sock with three incredible calculators. I like to knit toe-up, and my big feet often require me to size up patterns. I often wind up fudging the heels because even though I could work out the math, I never do. Chrissy's calculators do the math for me, so when I change the number of stitches in the sock, I can see right away how to work the heel.

I echo Anne Merrow observation, "Interweave is a dangerous place in that you pick up lots of new passions working here." Download your copy of Sockupied and find a new passion of your own.

Filed under: ,

Comments

PhyllisP wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 7:59 AM

I wish Crochet Me wouldn't send me posts about knitting. One of the reasons I read crochet sites and blogs is that I don't have to sift through knitting stuff. I know Crochet Me is now a site that spends a lot of time marketing Interweave products, but can we put the knitting stuff on the knitting site and leave this all crochet, PLEASE?

Thanks.

Missie wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 9:22 AM

Don't we get enough unwanted stuff about knitting already?  I subscribe to the "CROCHET Me" newsletter to hear about crochet only.  The world seems to think that knitters are somehow above we who ONLY crochet - hence we have to be twice as creative to be able to make items we like because the designers only make cute things as knit patterns.  I for one am sick of hearing about knitting thank you very much!!!

Sleepycat wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 9:56 AM

I admit I knit as well as crochet and have been known to knit socks but it really surprised me that this wasn't a book on crocheted socks.   There are a lot of great crocheted sock patterns out there.

E.L wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 12:08 PM

If Interweave cannot publish a sock magazine that contains, at least, both crochet and knitting patterns, somebody there is relentlessly not listening to the market.

maureenmo3 wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 12:58 PM

Why on earth is this about knitting? It's hard enough to get interesting information about crocheting. Could you please leave the knitting stuff on your knitting sites?

csnoto wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 1:01 PM

I was going to ask why this was coming over the Crochet Me newsletter instead of the Knitting Daily newsletter but I see a few people beat me to the punch.  I do both knitting and crochet  but I like to read about crochet on this publication.  Mixing mediums is great but if you're going to include knitting, please make it as PART of a combined project and not the entire newsletter! There's too little information about crochet out there already.

CFBandit wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 1:50 PM

I'm really baffled by this one, Toni. I don't mind the occasional post about knitting but this one pretty much admits at the beginning this has nothing to do with crochet and/or crochet skills.

I subscribe to the Knitting Daily newsletter for knitting. I subscribe to Crochet Me for crochet content. Isn't there a crochet sock book you guys could be pushing instead? At least then the ads would be relevant to us.

I'm starting to really think about unsubscribing from all Interweave emails as not one of them seems to have unique content anymore. This is the eighth post I've received about Sockupied, and I'm down to my last straw.

If you guys are going to collaborate on content, then really collaborate and come up with different ways to address the same topic.

Thanks.

theonlynikki wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 2:00 PM

Way to go CrochetMe.  Yet again you have disappointed us all by using the crochet blog for your knitting crap.  Just drop the "crochet" from your site, you've stopped showing any desire for anything crochet related years ago.  Just stick with knitting.

hbcrow wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 2:25 PM

Good Heavens, Please Chill.  Interweave provides us with lots of neat material for free.  It's good business for them to advertise ALL of their products.  I transitioned here from the knitting side and am glad I did.  When they post something I'm not interested in, I delete and move on.  Life is too short . . .

saw730 wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 3:50 PM

I would be more interested in this product if it contained info about crocheting socks.  Next time could you please publicize an Interweave resource that can teach us about crocheting socks?

Thank you.

NorahW wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 7:52 PM

Toni, are there any plans to publish another edition of Sockupied, but this time with only crocheted socks?

birbee wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 11:43 PM

looks like folk have beaten me to it, but please don't send me info on your knitting products....  if i was interested in them i'd have signed up to that newsletter instead.  eBook about crochet socks i'd definitely be interested in.

VKStitcher wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 8:31 AM

I signed up for CrochetMe to get inspiration and information about CROCHET.   I do not knit, and am not interested in finding "a new passion" for KNITTING.  It is irritating to see so much about knitting on CrochetMe and in Interweave's Crochet magazine.

If "Sockupied" contained patterns for both knitting and crocheting, I would be more inclined to take a look.  Yes, you can crochet socks--as a matter of fact, the "Adirondack Socks" pattern was the reason I purchased my first Interweave Crochet magazine.

on Apr 12, 2011 10:51 AM

NorahW, I do not know if there is a crocheted Sockupied currently planned for the future, but that is a wonderful idea that I will be sure to share with Anne.

on Apr 12, 2011 10:51 AM

Thank you all for your comments both on Crochet Me and other communities, including Ravelry. I will share them with others here at Interweave. We do have many cross-crafters, and we want to make sure they are aware of the many different products we offer. I especially appreciated those comments about different methods of presenting this product that you have found more beneficial. Thank you again.

Toni

aportofships wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 11:34 AM

I mostly crochet but I was recently taught to knit.  Thank you for this post, it is a bit of a push to work on my knitting.  It was also very interesting.  While I do object to heavy knitting projects in a crochet project I certainly don't mind mention of a neat knitting website or something knitting related on the blog.  Keep doing what you are doing.  Thank you! :  )

aportofships wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 11:38 AM

* Heavy knitting projects in a crochet magazine.

Sorry about that!

faye@22 wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 1:28 PM

Crochet Me...the name should really say it all....so why  are Knitted socks being pushed at us??  The name: Crochet Me implies a craft specific group/organization, which would be providing craft specific information/publications/support.  Knitting support runs rampant on the internet, in print and at LYS, crochet support...well not so much, so it is disheartening  to saythe least, that Crochet Me is sending emails that are ALL about knitting...and suggesting that maybe the people who subscribe should try knitting as a "new passion".  Maybe the name should be changed to Craft Me, at least then people would feel mislead. Crochet Me was much better when it was not associated with Interweave.

daphne2011 wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 1:45 PM

I am upset that I recieved a post about knitting from a crochet site.  I subscribed to this newsletter to get interesting information on crochet not knitting.

NorahW wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 7:32 PM

Toni, are there ANY crochet e-books available from Interweave? The email I got today from CrochetMe mentioned knitting, spinning and quilting e-books, but not crochet ones.

on Apr 13, 2011 4:12 PM

NorahW, I am not aware of a crochet eMag currently in production. Interweave is fairly new to eMags, but we are looking at expanding. Are there any particular techniques or categories you would like to see? I would be more than happy to share your ideas. :)