Learn How to Create Linked Crochet Stitches

Jul 25, 2011

Linked Crochet Tunic

I was first introduced to linked stitches by the Interweave Crochet Spring 2009 issue, which included the Forest Flower Pullover (at left) and a tutorial on working linked stitches. Linked stitches eliminate the gaps often left between tall stitches, allowing you to create truly solid projects in half-double, double, treble crochet, or taller stitches. When working linked stitches, you join the post of the stitch you are working to the post of the previously worked stitch eliminating the peek-a-boo holes between the stitch posts. It is a great stitch option for crochet tops. Adding this stitch to your crochet skills will expand your wardrobe potential. Follow along to learn how to do linked double crochet.

Linked Double Crochet Step 1   Work the chain as you would normally. To work the first row of stitches, insert your hook in the second chain from the hook, yarn over and pull up a loop. This loop takes the place of the yarnover in a regular double crochet.

Linked Double Crochet Step 2 Insert your hook in the next chain, yarn over and pull up a loop. You now have three loops on your hook, just as you would for a normal double crochet.

Linked Double Crochet Step 3 Work the loops off of the hook as normal by yarning over and drawing through two loops two times.

Linked Double Crochet Step 4 For the next linked double crochet, insert your hook from top to bottom behind the horizontal bar of the stitch you just worked. This horizontal bar runs parallel to the front loop at the top of the stitch. Yarn over and pull up a loop. Insert your hook in the next chain; yarn over and pull up a loop. Again you have three loops on your hook as you would for a normal crochet. Work these loops off as before. Repeat this stitch to the end of the row.

Linked Double Crochet Step 5

For successive rows, chain two, insert your hook in the second chain and pull up a loop. Insert your hook in the next stitch as usual, and work the loops off of the hook as before. For the next stitch, insert your hook in the horizontal bar from the previous stitch, pull up a loop, insert your hook in the next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop.

Now you've got the hang of it. Notice how the fabric is solid, without the tiny gaps between stitches. As your piece gets bigger, you will really begin to notice the drape and lack of bulk. You can experiment with inserting a row of lacier stitches between the linked stitches rows like those used for the Forest Flower Pullover. This tunic uses linked double-treble crochets, but the concept works the same; you just pull a loop through each horizontal bar on the taller stitch.

Linked Double CrochetSubscribe to Interweave Crochet today and begin exploring a variety of helpful techniques and stitches as well as other valuable articles and extraordinary patterns to expand your skills.

Comments

maryfc1 wrote
on Jul 25, 2011 9:13 AM

How funny, I just had to learn how to do linked triples for Robyn Chachula's Mari Nursing Wrap about a week ago.  These instructions were exactly what I was looking for!  I do love linked crochet stitches now!

srahamim wrote
on Jul 25, 2011 9:33 AM

This technique is similar to a variation of Tunisian of Afghan crochet.  It can be used to create a border around an afghan or if you put enough loops on your hook you can create the whole afghan.  I love using this stitch - I have used it to create crocheted socks!

I like the way crochet is so easy - just pull through 1 or many loops at a time, and yet so many variations can come of it!

horselove wrote
on Jul 25, 2011 9:57 AM

What good timing! I had just bought this pattern from the Interweave store a few weeks ago, and ever since I had been wondering what a linked crochet stitch was. This was really helpful, thanks!

BeateS@3 wrote
on Jul 25, 2011 11:05 AM

I am crocheting a fedora with linked dc in a spiral. I haven't seen in  books or magazines a good join of linked dc in the round, though!

on Jul 25, 2011 11:49 AM

BeateS@3, I was just thinking about trying a spiral hat in linked double crochet. I'll do a little research, play, and see if I can figure anything out.

yarnlover2 wrote
on Jul 25, 2011 4:54 PM

I have this issue of the magazine but did not try the linked stitches until today - fun!

I really like the look of it too - now I can incorporate it into all the baby items I am creating these days ! Thanks!

Debi J wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 6:46 AM

On step 4 "For the next linked double crochet, insert your hook from top to bottom behind the horizontal bar of the stitch you just worked."  I don't understand where you intend the hook to be inserted.  A pic of inserting the hook in the proper location would be more useful to me.

Hmm.  Not front to back.  From top to bottom - OK, I think.  Behind the horizontal bar of the stitch you just worked - OK, I think.  But where do you insert your hook -  in the first loop under the horizontal bar?  From top to bottom in all of the loops of the vertical post?

CrochetWorks wrote
on Aug 11, 2011 3:29 PM

I share the confusion of Debi J.  I can't identify which thread you mean by upper and lower horizontal bars ( as in the Mari Nursing Wrap instructions).  I just can't see it in the pictures you have shown.  I have tried using a HUGE hook so that I can see all the threads, but that hasn't helped.  Maybe a video would help?  I do so love your work.

susanadelia wrote
on Aug 12, 2011 7:59 PM

Has anyone figured out how to connect these when crocheting in the round?

Nancy K. wrote
on Aug 20, 2011 2:13 PM

I have the same question as susanadelia - I would like to use linked crochet stitches in the round, but without last stitch in the round linked to the first stitch the look isn't quite right - is there a way to connect the last stitch in a round to the first stitch?

on Aug 22, 2011 10:39 AM

I am looking into good methods of joining linked crochet stitches. If you are working in a the same stitch, a spiral works well. I have used this method on a couple of hats. I will write a blog soon with some ideas for joining linked double crochet stitches. If you have any ideas or have found a good method, please let me know.

Thanks!

on Dec 3, 2012 1:00 PM

Find dynamic styles as well as timeless classics in the Winter 2013 issue of Interweave Crochet. Art Nouveau gets a twist with stylish crochet patterns inspired by Downton Abbey. Winter whites go ethereal in lightweight yarns for a bit of layering warmth

Elaine A wrote
on Jan 3, 2014 8:08 AM

I love the linked stitch and am currently using it in a wrap but the rows are rolling up with me.  What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it.  Does this stitch have to be blocked to lay flat?

Elaine A wrote
on Jan 3, 2014 8:08 AM

on Jan 3, 2014 1:00 PM

Elaine A, I don't really have trouble with my linked stitches rolling. You might see some problem with the first row or two, that should block out fairly easily. If you are seeing rolling beyond that, you might need to use a larger hook or adjust your gauge.