How Much Yarn Will I Need for That?

Jan 5, 2012

One of my resolutions this year is to spend more time designing. Like many of you, I have at least a million project ideas in my head, scribbled in notebooks, and dancing tantalizingly around each skein of yarn.

Once you have chosen the type of project you are going to crochet, the next step is to choose the yarn. Sometimes you can work from stash yarn, and sometimes a project just begs to be worked in a fiber, color, or weight that requires a trip to the yarn store.

Whether you are using a yarn from your stash or purchasing new yarn, it can be difficult to gauge how much you will need. If you end up with too much, well, there's always another project, but if you end up with too little, it can be difficult to find the same yarn or dyelot again. I have found a secret weapon: the Crochet Handy app, which helps you determine the amount of yarn needed.

First choose the type of project. You can select from baby sweaters, bags, ponchos, scarves, skirts (both knee-length and calf-length), skull caps, and sleeveless tops. If you are working a top with long sleeves, add 35-40% more yardage.

After you have chosen the type of project you are going to make, specify the size. For bags, there is sizing for purses, clutches, book bags, large totes, and more. For sleeveless tops, choose from bust circumferences of between 28" and 56". Each project type comes with information for multiple sizes.

Don't forget to designate what yarn weight you will be working in. A sweater crocheted out of fingeringweight yarn requires more yardage than one in worsted weight. The type of stitch you are working in also affects the amount of yarn needed, so specify whether you will be working in single, half double, double, or treble crochet.

Determining the amount of yarn you need for an undesigned project will never be an exact science, but the Crochet Handy app will help you make an educated calculation. Download your copy today and create some of your own original designs this year.

Comments

VirgadeanR wrote
on Jan 5, 2012 12:09 PM

Hi,

Are there any plans to put the apps on the Android platform?

on Jan 5, 2012 12:14 PM

Yes, we are moving forward with launching these apps for the Android platform. I will be sure to let you know when they become available.

on Jan 5, 2012 3:32 PM

This is a great article. I was very excited and then EXTREMELY disappointed. I don't do Apple. But I really wanted this on my Droid. The Droid market is quite large at this point and the fiber arts really should jump on the band wagon. Also I am a Kindle user and luckily we are sometimes able to get publications on there. I LOVE patterns and I am running out of space so I would love to be able to keep some of my collection digital. Please don't forget this of us who can't afford to do the Apple thing!

MargaretD@18 wrote
on Jan 5, 2012 8:02 PM

I was also disappointed to discover this was an iPhone only app, especially since that is not mentioned in your blog post, so I tried to look the application up on the Android Marketplace. When I couldn't find it, I followed the link, and only then discovered it was an iPhone only application. At least tell us that the app is only available on one platform in the article, please.

doobee60 wrote
on Jan 5, 2012 9:11 PM

I agree. App developers seem to shortchange the Android devices, of which there are many. Not everyone drinks the apple juice.

Char55 wrote
on Jan 6, 2012 10:25 AM

For those of us who choose to live without cellphones, are there any on-line yarn estimators?

paralgl64 wrote
on Jan 6, 2012 11:48 AM

Are there plans to make an Android version of Crochet Handy?  I would love to get this app, but I have an Android phone, not an iPhone.  Thanks!

kalanna21 wrote
on Jan 8, 2012 8:29 PM

great looking app.  Downloading it now for my iPhone :)  thanks for the article !!

individuelle wrote
on Jan 9, 2012 2:16 PM

Where can i find this Crochet App?

on Jan 9, 2012 4:11 PM

Hi,

You can find the app in the iTunes store here:

itunes.apple.com/.../id480287451

We are currently working on an Android version, and I will let you know when that is available.

Enjoy!

crochetdeb wrote
on Aug 28, 2012 7:42 AM

I'm with Char55!!  Any chance this will an internet app??

martha56 wrote
on Sep 22, 2012 10:30 AM

this app is nice for those who HAVE a smart phone.  would be nice if thre was some other was to determine how much.

ehander wrote
on Feb 26, 2013 8:28 PM

What a cool app! Thanks so very much. I'm new to crochet but am a long time fan of Interweave. You guys rock.

WinonaYvette wrote
on Jul 20, 2013 8:28 PM

is there an android version of this yet????

on Jun 7, 2014 3:09 PM

It's been over two years.....I hate to tell everyone this, but there are WAY more android devices in the world than there are iPhones, and until Apple brings their phone up to speed with everything my android does, it's not happening.......