Crocheting an Amigurumi: Sir Stephen the Bunny

Mar 23, 2012

With the warmer temperatures and sudden ability to open all of the windows in the house, I have been bitten by the spring cleaning bug. And the room that needs the most attention is my craft room. But there is a distinct obstacle to spring cleaning my craft room. I was surrounded by hundreds of skeins of luscious yarn making it almost impossible to concentrate on the boring task of cleaning and organizing.

So I decided to dive into my yarn stash for the Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton I needed for my Sir Stephen the Bunny crochet-along. I have a very large stash of cotton, so I knew I would be able to find a couple of bunny colored skeins. After shifting through beautiful skeins of bulky purple, green, and bright yellow yarn (great spring colors that others have used for fun versions of Sir Stephen, but maybe not so great for my vintage bunny), I located two skeins in the #83 sage called for in the pattern.

Several crocheters have already talked about substitute yarns they are using. If you decide to substitute the bulky yarn suggested with a DK or lighter-weight yarn, simply decrease your hook size. You may need to do a bit of swatching to find the perfect hook size. Continue to use a smaller hook until your swatch is solid enough to keep the stuffing from escaping. And feel free to have fun with your color choice. A few years ago a friend of mine created her bunny, Henry, from a fun green novelty yarn.

I have my bunny's head finished (at right), and I can't wait to start his body this evening. If you haven't yet started crocheting the head, let me point out a little pattern design quirk. The directions for the end of Rnd 1 as well as Rnds 2–9 are on page 19 of the free eBook, 8 Free Crochet Amigurumi Patterns, in the first column, under the photograph of Sir Stephen's side.

I can't wait to get home and crochet this evening. Sir Stephen is quickly becoming one of my favorite patterns, which is a good thing because I need several baby shower gifts in the next couple of months.

Have you started your Sir Stephen yet?

Comments

on Mar 28, 2012 8:28 PM

Wow this looks so fun! I'll have to try it. :)

on Mar 31, 2012 6:03 AM

I made this bunny last month for my new grandson, Everett. It's just adorable!

I left the buttons off and sewed the face, as he's just a baby. They will take the ribbon off his neck when it comes time for him to play with it. The parents were very pleased. Never having made a stuffed animal from yarn before, it was quite the fun little project.

Thanks very much!

1Dragones wrote
on Mar 31, 2012 9:14 AM

Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton yarn isn't available to me locally, so I resorted to the internet for purchasing the yarn for my bunny. I found only one supplier, Jimmy Beans Wool, who does not offer all of the colors suggested in the pattern.  I substituted #626 Stone for the bunny and #638 Dandelion for his vest. I'm in the middle of another project, so haven't started Sir Stephen yet.  He likely won't be done in time for Easter... but that's okay, as he will be residing with me.

The yarn alone (with shipping) cost me nearly $50!  Not considering the cost of the stuffing materials - which I already had in my stash - I find him adorable, but way too expensive to make in multiples.

ymasullo wrote
on Apr 1, 2012 1:24 PM

I"m very upset...I thought that each pattern was to be online at the START of the month!  Here is is April 1st, I marked my calendar to get the FOURTH pattern, and it's not here!  What's the deal?

MaryJ@38 wrote
on Apr 3, 2012 3:47 PM

I am another unhappy customer. I downloaded the January & February patterns without any problems, but I could not access the March one without purchasing some other Interweave publication. 3 e-mails I sent (using the address provided on this site) were returned as "undeliverable". I was unable to find a phone number, but the friend for whom I had purchased the calendar as a gift was more persistent and managed to  contact a very helpful member of your staff who spent a lot of time attempting to solve our problem.

She was able to direct me to a site which was labeled "Patterns from 2012 crochet calendar" Problem solved? Not quite.I was able to download 12 very attractiive patterns BUT  THEY WERE  NOT THE ONES FROM MY CALENDAR

Still unhappy, Mary J

on Apr 3, 2012 5:43 PM

Hi Mary J,

I just sent you a message through "conversations". You can find it at the top right of the page just above the search bar. If you can give me a just a little bit more information, we will try to get everything sorted out.

Thanks!

Toni

Mrs BLY wrote
on Apr 5, 2012 10:26 PM

I can't find the crochet along pattern? would like to make won't be in time for Easter but would be a lovely gift for my great niece ;) <3

Mrs BLY wrote
on Apr 5, 2012 10:32 PM

ok never mind I have download the free e-book Thank You Very Much :)