Your wish list

Nov 9, 2005

Ok, kids. I'm about 85% of the way to being ready to move the site into the new system. I'd love your input on the following questions:

1. By what type of categorization would you search for patterns on the site (e.g., by colour, yarn weight, garment type, etc.)?
  2. Would you like to be able to search for patterns by designer?
  3. What types of fiber categories would you search by (e.g., cotton? cotton blend? synthetic? animal fiber? etc.)
  4. Is it important to you that patterns and articles continue to be associated strongly with the particular issue they originally appeared in, even several months after the issue was published?
  5. Is there any other type of thing you'd like me to consider as I plan out the new features?

Thank you for sharing!

Filed under:

Comments

curlie wrote
on Nov 9, 2005 12:15 PM

It's great to hear that you'll be making the patterns searchable! Most of the time, I like to search by garment/item type. I know what I want to make, and I look for patterns for that item specifically. That said, I'm a big fan of parametric searches that incorporate all of the above parameters, especially as your database of patterns grows! It's nice to start searching for an item of clothing, then narrow it down by yarn type or style or pattern publisher.As far as the issues go, it's nice to have a cohesive whole to start, but after a few months, it's nicer to have things organized by subject in my opinion. Of course, you could incorporate issue number in your search options for patterns (& articles), so if someone was looking for a pattern they saw in the August issue, they could use that as a parameter.Thanks for asking!

Megan wrote
on Nov 9, 2005 12:37 PM

I would definitely search by garment type first, and later I'd worry about yarn or color. (Most of that is because I can decide what color I want regardless of what color is suggested in the patterns, and I'm more concerned with the finished product than what it'll take to make it, at least at first.) I think it might be neat to be able to search by designer, though I don't think that'd be my first choice in searching for patterns. If I liked something that a certain person designed, though, I would probably go through and see what else they designed. And as far as old articles go, I don't think they should be strongly associated with a particular issue because your issues are just guidelines as far as when things are published. The bulk of the site will be archived patterns and articles, and nobody likes wading through issue dates to find something. :)

Kim, Ed. wrote
on Nov 9, 2005 12:55 PM

Thanks so much for your detailed comments, curlie and Megan!It sounds like my plans are pretty much what you want (phew!). Essentially, you'll be able to browse through patterns by checking off the categories you want -- like a man's garment made with sport weight yarn, or patterns for pets, or patterns you might have seen in a particular issue.One of my main motivations for adding this functionality is exactly the point you made, Megan, which is that the bulk of the site will be archived patterns and articles, and I want people to be able to find what they're looking for (and maybe things they didn't know they were looking for!) as quickly and easily as possible.

Jen wrote
on Nov 9, 2005 2:37 PM

YES on the yarn weight, etc. I also echo categorization ... I often think, "Hey, I want to make a shawl with bulky yarn." So anything that would allow me to find that.Designer doesn't really matter to me when I'm searching, but when I'm browsing, I would enjoy a button that allows me to see other patterns by this designer.I don't care if the patterns are associated with their original issue if the search feature is functional enough.Legality wise... could you link to similar patterns with other homes on the web? This might be an interesting place to give sponsors promotion, but it also would be really helpful. CrochetMe is clearly the most fabulous source of original work, but while you're int he process of growing, helping crocheters (one 't') connect with other resources would be a valuable service... one which maintains people's use of CrochetMe as a "home base."Very exciting, Kim!

Pfirsch wrote
on Nov 9, 2005 3:02 PM

I think it is still important to keep some kind of indicator as to when the pattern was published (issue, date, whatever) even if the bulk of the site will be an archive of previous patterns and articles. If I saw it in August, I would like to look for it using that search critieron. Plus, for those of us who would like to remember when we got something published or NEED to know for some reason, the possiblity is still there.

Marvie wrote
on Nov 9, 2005 6:23 PM

I'd like the search to lean towards catagory, then yarn weight personally. I agree with Jen, that's how I tend to hunt for patterns too lol. I don't generally search by fiber content, unless I happen to be looking for a fulling pattern, though I do think yarn weight is important. Often I can't afford (or find here in Germany) a yarn called for, but if I know what weight it is I can sub. easily.As for associating with the original issue.... frankly, I don't generally remember what issue I saw something in, so I tend to have to hunt through each issue till I find what I wanted. The only other thing I can think of, is that in digging through past issues when searching for something, I noticed that in the beginning you only used clickable pics (rather than having the pattern's name there too) so I used a lot of time clicking and closing windows/tabs till I either found what I wanted, or got through the whole issue. I like to see a name and a thumbnail if possible.

Kim, Ed. wrote
on Nov 10, 2005 2:13 AM

Marvie -- Yes, you're right about the thumbnails-only issue. As the mag grew, feedback became insistent about giving more information than just a thumbnail; current issues' thumbnails show the entire project, and also show the title. We'll keep this format when showing pattern listings in the new system. The only difference is that you won't have to hunt through back issues; you'll just tick a few checkboxes off, and a list of thumbnail/pattern names will come up. Magic!Pfirsch -- Yes. I just wanted to make sure you all really wanted this. Patterns and articles will also be searchable by issue.Jen -- Thanks for your enthusiasm! There's no legal issue making links, but Crochet Pattern Central (http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/) definitely has the "patterns like this" index covered. Also, as our site grows, it'll be enough for us to stay on top of making sure things are cross-referenced internally. :)As for searching for designers -- I agree with you. We probably won't take up space on the search page with all of the designers' names, but we will link the mention of their names to a page that lists their other Cm contributions.

Roe wrote
on Nov 10, 2005 1:20 PM

1. YES to all listed on 1. Article type is really nice. Yarn weight would be great. If I'm looking for something to use that nice sport weight alpaca in my stash I would use that search.Skill level might be nice.

Melissa wrote
on Nov 10, 2005 3:05 PM

1. I'd go for yarn weight, garment/item type, and/or difficulty. (I don't think color is a good way to sort the patterns.)2. I would LOVE to be able to search by designer. :D3. Maybe fiber types could be divided into something like Acrylic, Cotton, Wool, (any others...) and Other, with patterns using blends showing up in both categories (for instance, something made with Wool-ease could be listed in both wool and acrylic)4. Not really...although I'd kind of like to be able to access the back issues, I don't guess it matters - I'd rather be able to access, say, all the articles than keep them with their issues.5. Sounds like you've got a handle on things to me! Good luck!

Kim, Ed. wrote
on Nov 11, 2005 2:53 AM

Thanks, Roe and Melissa!I'm not sure how to go about skill level... I'm going to write a new post!

Crochet me: The Blog » Difficulty Dilemma wrote
on Nov 11, 2005 3:10 AM

[...] Lots of informative comments have been left on my post about categorizing patterns and articles, and one topic has come up that I’d love your further feedback on — difficulty ratings. [...]

Julie H. wrote
on Nov 11, 2005 6:09 AM

1. yarn weight, garment type, accessories, home, kids, pets, fiber2. yes, by designer3. how about plant, plant blend, animal, animal blend, and synthetics? too general?4. actually irrelevant.5. love the difficulty ratings