Next up: Which sweater?

Jan 30, 2006

Peace FleeceOk. I'm gonna join the KO. I won't lie and say I wasn't swayed by your comments. I was. And that Amy commented almost immediately and so enthusiasticly and with such a siren song of shirt description certainly helped.

So now I must choose which of two sweaters I will knit. Both are cabled cardigans; both are knit in one piece save for the sleeves (pretty much); each has the potential to be a favourite. I'm under no illusion that I'd complete either sweater, so my goal in the KO will be to complete the body.

I have 6 hanks of Peace Fleece worsted weight yarn (shown at left), and I've narrowed my choice to these two (in a nod to Amy's influence, they're both from Knitty):

• From the current issue, Forecast. I don't much like bobbles, so I'd leave those out (plus, it looks like knitting bobbles is a pain in the butt). I like the shaping. The cables are simple, and I think I'll definitely have a shot at reaching my goal.
  • From the Fall 2005 issue, Samus. Overall this is a simpler knit. Having never cabled, embarking upon that bottom bit first will be a good challenge, and I have no idea how long it will take me. Could take much longer than will allow for me to finish the rest of the body in just 16 days. Also, there's all that stockinette -- it might bore me to tears, or it might be perfect to cruise through while watching hockey. I love the cable. And I'd use a frog closure, maybe, and I think the finished sweater will be gorgeous.

So, which one should I make?

PS I'll still be crocheting; no worries! I'm actually working on a design for a book (not my book, someone else's book), which is proving to be wicked fun.

**Updated** Dude. It's kismet. On the day I'm joining the KO, I'm also going curling. There will be photos.

Filed under: ,

Comments

amyknitty wrote
on Jan 30, 2006 5:44 PM

well, if you ask me, forecast would look HOT on you. but i don't know how you'd remove the bobbles. check at the knittyboards -- they're clever and someone has probably already tried it. :-)

i'm honored that you thought of Knitty patterns.

and welcome aboard. didja order your shirt yet?

Vera wrote
on Jan 30, 2006 8:04 PM

I love Samus.

It's very cute, and cables aren't hard at all.

You may finish it in 16 days too.

jana wrote
on Jan 30, 2006 10:36 PM

ok just stop it! curling?? god bless you kim! i am from the prairies and come from a long line of curlers. however, i dont curl myself because most people out here dont know a thing about curling. hehheheee. i am into bonspiels though. as in the drinking part. good for you!

Tab wrote
on Jan 31, 2006 7:45 AM

Samus all the way! It is by far the most lovely I've seen. I am trying to learn knitting simply to make this pattern,( and one other sweater which is way more difficult.)

on Jan 31, 2006 10:20 AM

Hi Tab! I decided on Forecast, but Samus is still on my list. You should join in on the Olympics for your Samus project! You don't need to commit to making the whole thing, maybe just the gorgeous cable?

Cheers,

Kim

Jen wrote
on Feb 2, 2006 10:39 AM

I'm so happy to see the integration of knit & crochet communities! I knit the "Reconfigured Raglan" from a back issue of Interweave Knits over Christmas. If you subscribe -- or got their free password e-mail in January -- you can get the PDF on their website. It was a great first knitting project for a crocheter, and I'm loving having both crafts in my arsenal. Though, I must say, I feel more at home on crochetme (though knitty is lovely, Amy!), so it warms my heart to see Kim & co. firing up the needles.

Jen wrote
on Feb 2, 2006 10:42 AM

And though grad school is killing my knitting time, this would be the project I'd do... and might, if I get excited...