Get Your NaKniSweMo On

Nov 4, 2006

NaNoSweMoAll you aspiring, masochistic writers out there have no doubt heard of NaNoWriMo, yes? Of course you have. Leave it to Shannon “I'll take any excuse to buy a sweater's worth of yarn” Okey to launch NaKniSweMo: National Sweater Knitting Month. Or crochet, I'm sure! I'm so sure, in fact, that I'm willing to force crochet into the picture, knowing Shannon will welcome crocheters with open arms.

Need a kick in the butt to make a sweater while the weather's perfect for wearing it, and along with scores of internet friends? Here's your chance. Might I suggest any of the following?

Technorati Tags: , ,

Comments

Dawn (the one in MN) wrote
on Nov 5, 2006 12:41 PM

LOVE it! If crochet amkes the scene I'm so there! I need to frog my Sweet from the CAL and reboot, but since I don't yet know if I'm ready to once again face that oh so challenging mass of handpainted yarn, I was also thinking of entering dangerous territory and making my mom a sweater/wrap for the holidays...and the ballet wrap would be just the thing...

Shannon wrote
on Nov 6, 2006 8:14 AM

Well, heck yeah! Of course crocheters are welcome! It's just that NaKniAndCroSweMo was tooooo long an acronym.

(As for using it as an excuse to buy yarn.......guilty as charged).

Canary wrote
on Nov 8, 2006 5:49 AM
I've just discovered your website and am thrilled to find a knitting site including crochet ( as in Crochet Me)!. I would love to learn how to knit- a resolution for the new year! Thank you for the high-quality pictures of submitted items. I can't seem to get enough knitting/crochet!
I primarily make preemie burial layettes for a local perinatal hospice to offer the parents who lose their babies before or after birth. If you are interested in readding about Alexandra's House, the website is Alexandrashouse.com. They appreciate hand-made garments/blankets to offer parents.
Although, baby sweaters are small in size compared to an adult garment, I feel it's the time and effort spent on the garment that should count toward the November Sweater Month. Many knitters/crocheters have physical challenges that can make any project difficult and time-consuming.

Thanks again for the 'Crochet Me' site and followers. Canary (I raise canaries as a hobby)

Bex wrote
on Nov 12, 2006 2:06 PM

Well, I've finally started, well, kind of. I tried with some nice chunky curly-whirly wool but found the stitches were just too big to get any kind of stitch gauge from, think I'll have to save it for scarves and hats. Then I was like, it's getting late now, should I bother? Am I good enough? How much yarn am I going to need? I'm gonna have to find a yarn I like and buy enough new. Is the yarn I like too expensive?

So, eventually I talked myself into it. I bought sirdar Blur with kid mohair, it's in a beautiful mossy blue/green and it feels sooooooooooooo snugly. I've bought far too much, to be sure I can finish it (so a matching something will probably come along too). It's really quite easy to stitch up too, which is good because it is EVIL to undo! I've tried one swatch with hdc, 6mm hook, think I might try one with a slightly smaller hook as it looks a little holey. Then I'll be able to work out my gauge, and my pattern and start work in earnest. Should be finished by next winter!

on Nov 12, 2006 2:09 PM

Right on, Bex!

Dawn (the one in MN) wrote
on Nov 13, 2006 3:44 PM

Oh good for you! We are a giant snot-fest here in the not yet great white, but still miserably damp and cold northland. All plans for November sweaters flew out the window as a matter of self-perservation. Perhaps I shall leave my "sweet" as-is and I can wear it in the spring! Would love to see how yours is going though...the yarn sounds fab.