First Peek: Crochet Me, The Book

Mar 28, 2007

** UPDATECrochet Me book cover:  The book is available for pre-order on Amazon. W00t. **

Eeee! Robyn just emailed me after poking around the Internets; seems Interweave Press is previewing the fall books lineup. And what's part of the fall books lineup? The Crochet Me book! *Doing the happy dance.* *Churning butter.*

I planted the wee seedling for this book nearly two years ago. I developed the pitch for a full year. The designers and I have been in touch about it all this time, spinning around ideas, swimming in yarns, playing with colours and techniques. To none of my other books have I felt so close; so identifyingly close (I don't think that's a word). I wasn't asked to write this book; I wasn't handed a target audience and a tone or a template. It's my own wee seedling, and I have watered and fed it for a very long time. Do you see how the cover sweater (speaking of Robyn...) drapes so beautifully? All of the sweaters in the book drape beautifully. See the middle thumbnail (a Missa Hills original)? Not all of the sweaters are lace. The projects in this book are intended to show off crochet at its best. It's not a beginner book, though all of the techniques are accessible. There are essays and tutorials and sidebars and illustrations. The photography is beautiful. I'm still working on editing bits of the manuscript, and it'll be a few more months before I see a copy of the finished book. And I can't wait.

When it comes out you'll get to know the following designers much better than you already do (you'll get to know me better, too):

I kept some very lofty goals in mind as I worked on this book (they're the same goals I've had since I started CrochetMe.com). I want it to inspire people to learn more about their craft, to try new things, to think creatively. I also want to show off the fact that it's not only possible, but fun and satisfying to create fashionable, stylish, flattering garments in crochet, and that accessories and home dec don't need to be constantly recycled but rather can be approached afresh -- it's exactly that: a matter of approach.

Overall, this book is the product of creative women coming together to achieve something we didn't think could be achieved any other way. I'm in love with the book. I hope you love it too. It'll be out sometime in September or early October.

[Note: The description on the book's detail page is a tiny bit out of date; I couldn't include a section on the history of crochet due to space constraints. There's lots of info around about it, though. And it's fascinating; you should read up.]

Technorati Tags: books, crochetme

Filed under: ,

Comments

Michelle wrote
on Mar 28, 2007 1:28 PM

Hooray! Congratulations!

Sandra wrote
on Mar 28, 2007 1:57 PM

Congrats!

I was wondering if you will be posting pictures of the patterns (the finished patterns, of course, not the actual pattern instructions!) so that we may see/ be seduced by the amazing designs (and therefore making us want to buy the book)?

on Mar 28, 2007 2:05 PM

Hi Sandra - Thanks! Closer to the release date I might be able to put together a preview. We have sweaters, a skirt, a dress, accessories (bags, jewelry, scarves), those wicked stockings on the cover, a rug, a set of felted tapestry crochet baskets, and two gigantic amigurumi dolls. Plus funny photos, awesome illustrations, and a *lot* of personality.

Amie wrote
on Mar 28, 2007 3:03 PM

HOT! HOT! HOT!

Seriously, lovin' it!!! I can't wait to see more.

on Mar 28, 2007 3:17 PM

Thank you!

Juanita wrote
on Mar 28, 2007 3:45 PM
Congratulations!! This is so cool!

The cover is beautiful...I can't wait to have a copy in my hot little hands.

Vera wrote
on Mar 28, 2007 4:52 PM

This looks great! Is there a trunk show or anything like that in the works to promote the book?

on Mar 28, 2007 5:07 PM

Hi Vera - Thanks! Yes, we're planning a lot of promotion for the book. I don't have details yet, but I'll certainly post things like appearances, signings, trunk shows, etc. when the time comes. Maybe we'll get to meet in person!

Angela wrote
on Mar 28, 2007 6:36 PM

Congratulations!

The cover looks beautiful and I can't wait to see those sexy knee-highs up close!

Selena K wrote
on Mar 29, 2007 4:42 AM

Congratulations! I can't wait till it comes out so I can get my paws on it.

Melissa wrote
on Mar 29, 2007 6:24 AM

Wow. It's beautiful, Kim. When I saw that cover, my heart just stopped for a minute. I deeply regret not feeling ready, as a designer, to participate when the call came out. Maybe next time, eh? Seriously, I have envy churning up my gut.

Can't wait to buy it. Take the tour to San Antonio! I'll say hi.

Noolie wrote
on Mar 29, 2007 7:59 AM

How exciting! I can't wait (but, I guess I have to).

on Mar 29, 2007 8:49 AM

Thanks, Melissa! My parents were in SA recently and said it was beautiful; they had a great time.

No regrets, eh? Next time!

Pam Gillette wrote
on Mar 29, 2007 9:55 AM

Fantastic news! I love the line…”Designs to Fuel the Crochet Revolution.” Impressive line-up of designer, this book will be a huge success!

on Mar 29, 2007 10:18 AM

Thanks!

Anonymous wrote
on Mar 29, 2007 5:16 PM

Vive la revolution! Now that you're in command, can you lobby the folks at Interweave to do even more crochet books? Like that "Knit Kimono"... what a great idea...

on Mar 29, 2007 5:32 PM

Ah, yes. Rest assured that in coming months I will be draping myself in a superhero cape of crochet to take to rooftops across the land. I will train my voice not to need a bullhorn, I will psyche myself up with the aid of my trusted 8mm sidekick, I will bring swatches, and I will ask you to join me. No doubt, in fact, I will think up some way to convince you it's your moral obligation to join me.

Monica Brown wrote
on Mar 29, 2007 5:49 PM

Yeah! A crochet pattern book that really shows off the "best" of crochet!

vashti wrote
on Mar 30, 2007 2:25 PM
Oh Kim, I'm in awe. Meanwhile the "crochet revolution" part has me dancing, so I look pretty weird right now.

I admit I feel a bit like Melissa does....