Demystifying Double Crochet - How to Double Crochet for Beginners

Apr 13, 2009

Double Crochet FAIL

A couple of weekends ago I spent a few days in Portland, Oregon. There to see the west-coast premiere of Handmade Nation, the documentary about the indie craft movement, I ended up enjoying the best crafty weekend in the history of my life. After touring around some crafty hotspots around the city, eating fabulous meals with amazing people, seeing the film and talking long about it, we converged on the warmly welcoming home of Susan Beal to spend a few hours chilling out and making stuff.

Over the course of the afternoon, Sister Diane from Craftypod and I taught Rachel, AKA Average Jane Crafter, how to crochet. And Rachel asked the same questions every single beginner crocheter has ever asked me. See, we started Rachel off making a granny square, and after that proved a frustrating first project, I set her up simply making double crochet in rows. By the end of the afternoon, I was wondering something that hadn't occurred to me before: Why on earth do we start brand-new crocheters out with a double crochet stitch? When you're not yet familiar with what stitches look like and how to count them, why do we start them on a stitch that requires skipping at the beginning of a row, and working into a turning chain at the end? This, people, is a dumb thing we experienced crocheters do. We should stop.

But until we do, I hope these double crochet instructions will help out new crocheters who are struggling despite assurances that crochet is easy as pie. Sometimes pie can be a great confounding mystery. Let's set you on a path to evening those edges out, ok? (Note: You can click on any photo for an option to see a larger size.)

Image 1: Here's what it looks like as you approach the end of a row of double crochet. I've circled the tops of the stitches from the previous row that remain to be worked. The most common confusion is where to place the last couple of stitches; it's very, very common for beginners not to work a stitch in the top of the turning chain from the previous row. So in the circle are the final double crochet (rightmost in the circle) and, to the left of it at the end, the top of the turning chain.
Double Crochet: The last stitches of the row, including top of turning chain

Image 2: The arrow is keeping track of the turning chain, and I'm inserting my hook into the next double crochet.
Double Crochet: Here I am working the second to last stitch from the row before.

Image 3: I've pulled up a loop in the double crochet. The arrow is still indicating the top of the turning chain.
Double Crochet: Here you can see that the top of the turning chain from the last row has yet to be worked.

Image 4: I've finished the stitch and the arrow is on pointing to the top of the turning chain. See how easy it would be to skip it? After all, it sort of looks like the edge could straighten out after a little tugging. Alas, though, it won't.

Double Crochet: As you can see it's easy to miss this final stitch.

Image 5: Ok, no more arrow. Here I'm about to insert my hook in the top of the turning chain. By "top of the turning chain," I mean the topmost of the three chains. Notice how I'm using the fingers of my other hand to open that sucker up. It can be tight and/or awkward to shove your hook in there, but persistence will pay off.
Double Crochet: Demonstrating how to put the hook into this chain.

Image 6: I've pulled up a loop in the top of the turning chain. It's pretty apparent now that we need to work a stitch here to make the edge straight, eh?
Double Crochet: Now work the double crochet stitch as normal.

Image 7: Here's the completed final stitch of the row. There's nothing to the left of it to stick my hook in, so I'm confident it really is the end of the row.
Double Crochet: Here's the final completed stitch of this row.

Image 8: Now we say to "turn your work." This means to flip it around so your hook is poised to start the next row (in these photos I'm working right-handed, so at the beginning of a row my hook is on the right. If you're a lefty and you crochet left-handed [hey, not all lefties do!], your hook is on the left at the beginning of a row).
Double Crochet: This is how you turn the work to start the next row.

Image 9: Make 3 chains. This is the "turning chain" which serves the function of raising the hook to the height of the stitches you'll be making. Since double crochet is a fairly tall stitch, most patterns say to "count the turning chain as the first stitch of the row." This is because that turning chain takes up about as much space as a double crochet. Since we're counting it as the first stitch, we work the first actual double crochet into the second stitch of the row, not the first. (If we work it into the first stitch, the edge will bulge out and look wonky.) The arrow is keeping track of that first stitch that we're going to skip before making the first double crochet.
Double Crochet: Make the turning chain, which counts as the first stitch of the row.

Image 10: This might be a confusing photo. If it is, ignore it. I'm inserting my hook in the second stitch, and the arrow is pointing to the skipped first stitch.
Double Crochet: Now you skip the first double crochet from the previous row.

Image 11: Ok, this is better. Here I've pulled up a loop for the double crochet, and the arrow is pointing to the first stitch which I didn't insert my hook into. At the very right, you can pick out the chains of the turning chain; see how they're pretty much rising from that first stitch? That's why we skip it before working the first double crochet.
Double Crochet: Here's a better view of the first actual double crochet stitch of the next row.

Image 12: I've completed the double crochet and the arrow is still indicating the first stitch from the previous row. So even though I've only worked one double crochet, you can see it looks like we actually have two stitches made. This is why we count the turning chain as a full-on stitch.
Double Crochet: You can see how the turning chain plus first stich make up the first two stitches of the row.

IMG_0305double-crochet 16

It's entirely possible that my familiarity with crochet has prevented me from really getting to the heart of any confusion you might have. Please leave a comment with any questions I haven't answered—or that, eep, I've introduced—and I or someone in the community will chime in to help you out. We also have this great free eBook covering even more detail on basic crochet stitches that you can check out plus we have an entire eBook dedicated to beginner patterns that are fun and will help you learn.

Promise me something, though. In a few months when a friend begs you to teach them how to crochet, start with single crochet, eh? The last stitch of the row can still be tough to place, but at least you won't have to contend with the turning-chain-counts-as-a-stitch thing.

Comments

e_to_the_m wrote
on Apr 13, 2009 6:55 PM
Excellent post that I just forwarded to a friend at work who is having some trouble starting.

Also, why do we say easy as pie? Pie was effing hard for me in the beginning.

on Apr 13, 2009 7:44 PM

Great post - I had the problem of the amazing self-tapering project with a shawl I was making using double-crochet. I finally figured it out myself, but not until I had to frog the majority of it and start over again... Here's to saving others from this same mistake!

Froggy1 wrote
on Apr 13, 2009 8:24 PM

Great tutorial. I always forget this between long periods of not crocheting and its too late by the time I remember. I tell myself just to be constant and then to crochet a border! =P

Kim Werker wrote
on Apr 13, 2009 8:32 PM

Crocheting a border can work magic! I almost always crochet one around double-crochet projects, because I think even dc edges done "right" still don't look very neat.

www.kimwerker.com

vernzap wrote
on Apr 14, 2009 8:12 AM

Great tutorial! It took me several tries and a lot of frustration to figure out how to make rows of dc look good when I started crocheting. Here's hoping your shared wisdom saves someone else the same grief! :)

SkaMama wrote
on Apr 14, 2009 10:29 AM

Nice photo tutorial, Kim. Sometimes I instruct beginning crocheters to use a stitch marker, or scrap of yarn, to mark the top chain of the turning chain so they don't have trouble finding it on the next row.

gaj wrote
on Apr 14, 2009 11:36 AM

Talk about an A-HA! moment…I've been crocheting less than six months and have only one Beanie class under my belt. Working in rows has been vexing and I though I had figured it out. This tutorial confirms my suspicions. THANK YOU! I can now proceed with confidence (albeit with caution).

gaj wrote
on Apr 14, 2009 11:39 AM

So if one were to add an edge, could one choose to sc around? If so, how many sc would one insert into each dc side?

Kim Werker wrote
on Apr 14, 2009 11:49 AM

Sure! You can work a border in any stitch, and there are tons and tons of more complex edging patterns you could use too. A general way to approach working a single-crochet border around a double-crochet project:

Work 1 sc in each dc stitch, work 3 sc in each corner so the corners don't curl in, work between 1-2 sc in each row-end. The row-ends are the tricky part because each dc or turning chain is wider than a single sc will fill. But sometimes working 2 sc in each row-end is too many and the edge will ruffle. This isn't an exact science, so trust your instinct. If your work ruffles, you need to work fewer stitches; if it curls in you need to work more.

www.kimwerker.com

Kim Werker wrote
on Apr 14, 2009 11:51 AM

Caution is unnecessary! What will happen if you make a mistake? Nothing. You'll learn, rip it out, and move on. Caution is for construction sites and crossing fast-moving rivers. For crochet, just do it.

www.kimwerker.com

piratealice wrote
on Apr 15, 2009 2:42 PM
This is fantastic! If only someone had shown me this back when I was first learning to crochet when I was a kid. This is exactly what I've learned in my years of practicing and getting it wrong versus easier patterns where I was forced to count and got it right.

I will certainly save this to share with all friends trying so hard to get it right.

Thank you!

Beau1 wrote
on Apr 16, 2009 5:30 PM

Hi! I have taught zillions of school kids how to crochet and always had them crochet "miles and miles" of chains. When they could make the chains all the same size - we then "zipped" and rerolled before starting singles, doubles always came a few classes later. Maybe this helps some.

eriamcke1 wrote
on Apr 19, 2009 9:32 AM

So I'm one of those crazy people who just randomly decided to teach herself how to knit and crochet. This is the best explanation and sheds some much needed light on it! Few videos were helpful and often not close enough to show the detail needed to understand correctly. Your pictures are clear and your direct easy to duplicate. Thank you - so much!

on Apr 22, 2009 7:30 AM

i love you! i've been seriously crocheting for about a year now, trying to teach myself new techniques and branch out from the "look, a scarf!" and "look, a hat!" that i'm good at, and you are the. first. person. i've found who instructs three chains at the end of a row. which makes crochet so much prettier. : ) your photos and clear directions were so very helpful - so thank you!

njhou wrote
on Apr 24, 2009 1:08 PM

These are the MOST amazing pictures !!! Congratulations on a wonderful job

mainahgal wrote
on May 11, 2009 7:54 PM

This is an awesome Fail and Win picture. Right up my geeky crochet alley;)Great post!

pampam wrote
on May 17, 2009 1:36 AM

I TOTALLY AGREE with the above comments. I can't tell you how many times I've been baffeled by my wavy edged scarves!!!

I was taught with a half double as my first stich.

Rows and rows of them. I have whole afgans made with only HDC's! I was very impressed with myself until I thought I would just bang out a few scarves as quick gifts for my friends.

How frustrating to see that wavy edge. I wanted to give up crocheting! I felt almost like a traitor when I secretly consulted the crafting beginner books in the library.

It's such a relief when the correct way to end a row and begin the next finally dawns on you! It was for me anyway.

Your pictures and direction will be very helpful, a beginner's lifesaver, really!

Thanks so much.

cathy24 wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 9:33 AM

Do you always count the chain 3 as the first stitch? In sc I always go into the side of the work and then miss a stitch when I start a new row. If I dont, then I seem to increase stitches where I shouldn't have increases.

Kim Werker wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 9:38 AM

There are always exceptions, but the norm is that, yes, for double crochet you count the chain-3 as the first stitch. It takes up a lot more room than the ch-1 used for single crochet.

www.kimwerker.com

cathy24 wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 9:44 AM

Thank you Kim. Have you seen the new way how to make a dc without having the hole at the end of your row? It's on youtube and it's ingenius how she does it.

cathy24 wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 9:47 AM

Kim

I have a question for you. In the magazine Interweave, is it possible to put in the back or on the pattern, substitions for material that used? I can't always find what is used and a different material that could be used for that particular pattern, would be very helpful.

Thanks so much

Kim Werker wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 11:23 AM

I no longer work at the magazine, but they do include information about the yarn weight and fiber content in each pattern. You can contact them at interweavecrochet.com.

www.kimwerker.com

cathy24 wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 12:35 PM

They do? I've only seen mostly cotton used for their patterns and like I said before, I can't always find the product that they use.

Thanks for getting back to me and keep on making those tutorials.

on Sep 27, 2009 8:47 PM

Your pictures and instructions were amazingly useful and easy to understand. However, I went through them step by step, and it seems I am still having a problem with it gradually tapering--not nearly as obvious as the initial picture, but I counted the number of stitches I had in my first double row, and then the number of stitches in my current row, and it seems the number of stitches in each row is increasing. Is this supposed to happen?

on Sep 27, 2009 8:48 PM

Or Am I supposed to alternate rows where I use the chain to turn around?

Kim Werker wrote
on Sep 27, 2009 9:02 PM

Yes, you should always use the chain, and you should always be careful to skip working into the first stitch of the row, since the chain counts as the first stitch of your new row. It's possible that's where your extra stitch is coming from.

www.kimwerker.com

on Sep 30, 2009 4:32 PM
Thanks so much for the clear instructions. I could not find an answer to this problem anywhere on the net. I just wanted to know WHERE to put my hook in the turning chain and end of row. Thanks,

newbiecrocheter

on Nov 20, 2009 3:38 PM

I have been crocheting for 5 years and was self-taught. All the books and things I've gotten off the web or from the library were NEVER THIS precise. I have tried a zillion different ways to stitch into the top of a turning chain and then afterward, trying to figure out if the 1st stitch I am supposed to skip or crochet into is either a part of the turning chain or an actual space! I see why so many of my projects turned out wrong or off. I would experience things getting smaller, and the bulky edge. I didn't even know that that space you showed as the last space to place a stitch before the turning chain - wasn't a part of the turning chain as well!

I have been so frustrated about this. Even asking friends for help, but they never follow through. I even got a few friends asking me to help teach them, so imagine my embarrassment when I couldn't show them what people think are such elementary steps.

I began a huge project on a strawberry shortcake blanket for my DD and I couldn't do it because of these simple mistakes. I counted and recounted each little stitch until I couldn't keep track of them any more. I pulled and redid so many times that I gave up. And now she's grown out of the strawberry shortcake phase.

I was sitting here making my closest sister a blanket for her firstborn baby boy's baby shower and I just figured that as long as I was consistent, I could make it look like I did it on purpose. But I Googled "where is top of turning chain" and searching images I came across your post. I wanted to jump for joy and laugh - or cry - at how thorough you are in this. I will have to take apart what I've done but that's okay.

It may seem dumb to some, but to others - we learn better when each step is explained completely. When learning how to crochet or knit, I did each stitch over and over again for days on end before I moved on to the next stitch. So it wasn't from lack of practice that I came to spend this many years going this route.

I am also a busy mom with young children and I don't have much time to myself so now I can feel like I can sit down and make something AND actually complete it in a sane amount of time. Now I can finally make things for others and myself feeling confident that I am doing it right and it's going to turn out well, not languishing back in my drawer as just another pretty ball of yarn.

THANK YOU!!!

Kim Werker wrote
on Nov 20, 2009 3:59 PM

Oh, my. You're very, very welcome! I hope you find much peace and joy in your crochet. :)

www.kimwerker.com

on Dec 27, 2009 12:21 PM

Ms.DitchDoc wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 7:14 AM

Awesome post! The pics really help! I thought maybe my tension was way off, but now I think maybe not. Pulling out the arn now to see. =)

czm wrote
on Jun 20, 2010 10:57 AM

The pictures are very helpful, to be sure, but I still have one question (referring to pictures 5 and 6) : Do you insert the hook underneath two strands of yarn (the strand on the back of the chain stitch and one of the loops on the front of the chain stitch)?

Kim Werker wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 9:00 PM

@czm: I try to insert my hook under the top two strands of the chain, but that can be tough. So really, I say don't sweat it and stick your hook wherever it fits. :)

sol266 wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 1:48 PM

Great Pictures! I am a new to crocheting so i really liked the examples. I have a few questions.

1. If a pattern says to sc in firsts dc would that be the space indicated by the arrow in pic.11?

pattern says:Row : all dc. Row2: ch1 turn, 1sc in 1st dc , (same as ch 1 space)...

2. at the end of a row do you crochet in the turning chain of a sc?

also does this seem like they are accidentally repeating the same stuff a twice?

Row3: 1 dc in ch 2 sp, * ch1, 2 dc in next ch 2 sp, repeat*across, dc in top of last ch2 spc,  2DC IN LAST CH space,2DC IN LAST CH2 SP AND 1 dc top of last sc

dont know if they want me to do 1dc in last ch 2 space or 2dc on last ch 2 sp and then dc on top of sc.

I am following this pattern but its looking off  after row 3 which is repeating rows 2 and 3.and i am following the directions.

HELP!!

Joanndarlene wrote
on Dec 2, 2010 10:56 AM

Love  your site.  I crocheted a potholder when I was in my 20's and that has been the extent of my crocheting other than chains from multiple colors for daughter's hair and now grand daughters.  After Chistmas I really want to get with it.  I want mostly to learn to do small flowers for my card making. I saw the little bracelet and saved that pattern.  I am a button collector and I loved the idea of putting buttons on them. I look forward to learning the basics after Christmas.  Your site is terrific.

marcygirl8 wrote
on Dec 8, 2010 12:28 PM

this is probably the best illustration of the double crochet stitch that I've ever seen!  Great job!  and Thanks!

Lindaaaa wrote
on Aug 17, 2011 9:46 AM

Thank you!  Great pictures and instructions!

prince11 wrote
on Feb 9, 2012 5:02 AM

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.   <a href="www.sextoys2you.co.uk/.../a>

toetie wrote
on Mar 27, 2012 9:37 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE CLARITY OF YOUR DIRECTIONS, AND THE PHOTOS WHICH MAKE EVERYTHING SO CLEAR, NOT EVEN I CAN MISS IT .

I MIGHT JUST PRINT THIS OUT, FRAME IT AND HANG IT WHERE IT WILL NOT BE MISSED WHEN I START CROCHETING AGAIN AFTER A LONG BREAK.

numberdevil wrote
on Jul 14, 2012 10:43 PM

WOW!

Thank you so, so much.

I've been knitting for a couple of years now and thought I'd try my hand at crochet - and nearly gave up 2 days into my project.

Your blog's a life-saver and may all your projects flourish and be beautiful :)

on Aug 21, 2012 10:11 PM

wow thank you for the article, it really helps!

on Aug 21, 2012 10:11 PM

wow thank you for the article, it really helps!

Firepea wrote
on Aug 29, 2012 9:30 AM

OMG! FINALLY!! I GET IT! The turning has ALWAYS been soooo frustrating!

Thank you!!

I've passed this on to my boyfriends mom who I got back into crocheting again. I KNOW she's going to appreciate it too!

Thanks again!

merryknitter wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 11:17 AM

Thanks for an EXCELLENT tutorial...you are right about teaching the sc first...I have about 4 new students at my LYS, and I just went over this very thing about the DC...seems like they always have issues with the first and last stitch of a row! The other thing is to always COUNT YOUR STITCHES! I really wasn't shouting then...LOL!

Thanks again!

Merry ♥

anncthom wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 11:30 AM

Awesome illustration! I hope several of my squeamish knitters will try crocheting again!

hickory wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 12:06 PM

I've never heard of teaching double crochet to an absolute beginner!  Chain, sc, hdc, then dc, this allows you to build up the skills.  It's how I learned, and how I've taught for years.

Also, to eliminate the small gap at the start of every other row (between the ch3 & the next DC), this is what I do:

For a DC row, I only ch2, then DC right in the same stitch, then continue the pattern.  This eliminates the hole, and the ch2 tucks right alongside the first dc and in effect, disappears.  You'll be starting and ending each row in the top of a DC, not the chain.  Nice, spiffy edges with no gaps!

tammy1504 wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 4:11 PM

Thank you, Thank you...I am so glad to see that I am not the only one that ends up with my swatch looking like this.  Your step-by-step tutorial is one of the best I've ever seen.  The fact that you show working both ends helps me a lot.

DonnaC@15 wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 9:15 PM

I teach the slip knot, chain, single crochet.......then wham, here comes the double crochet, side-to-side-learn-to-mind-your-margins!

Why?  Besides the chain, it is the most important lesson.  Working into the chain is hard to, but essential.  Its hard to fudge dc margins that should resemble goal posts~!  Once you get that lesson < don't work into the same stitch as your first 3 chains that take the place of the first dc, and make sure you work into the top of the turning chain as your last stitch > everything else is a piece of cake.

I read that some teachers actually give their students swatches to work into with single crochet ... rather than teach them how to make a slip knot, chain, and work into the chains.  To me, that is crippling.  When you are giving someone a lesson, particularly if they only have access to you for a few hours, you want them to leave knowing how to begin, with a slip knot, and a chain.  You want them to know how to double crochet and keep their margins straight because dc is a much-utilized stitch, perhaps the most used (?) and you want your "students" to be able to confidently and competently negotiate a pattern of their choosing, without you there to tell them what goes where, etc.

Maybe it seems like madness....but its so important.

The person you teach---will thank you for it.

DonnaC@15 wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 9:15 PM

Maybe it seems like madness....but its so important.

The person you teach---will thank you for it.

doggymomo03 wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 4:56 PM

THANK GOD FOR THIS WOMAN!! I just started crocheting and had decided that I need to learn all the basics before starting a project. I was practicing the dc and thought I could make a scarf out of it for DH but I couldnt ever figure out why the edges were decreasing and thought I must not be finishing the row in the chain stitch bc I could never understand where to get in the last dc stitch! I just thought I was stupid or something. Hard to find help from a live person around here so have relied on internet tutorials. This has saved my sanity!! God love ya, girl!!!

FibreNinja wrote
on Oct 4, 2012 2:40 AM

Fantastic post, and thank you so much for the clear photos, it makes such a difference to have it illustrated! And like others have said, it is so good to see I am not the only one who has a problem with uneven edges on straight 'back and forth' rows - I would much rather tackle the most intricate granny square worked in the round than boring back and forth work.

lasweet wrote
on Oct 12, 2012 2:39 AM

Sorry, but you know what that looks awful to me at the turning chain, and this is why I can never get mine to look right because doing it right leaves huge holes along the sides and it frustrates me, then I when it's time to crochet along the edge I have no idea how to make it look right because where do you put the stitches? I made the pinata bag and added too many along the sides and after I shrunk it it still looks wrong so I took my extra shrunk chains and put them thru to pull up the side edges.

:((

kristies2 wrote
on Oct 17, 2012 10:55 AM

I was going to ask how to avoid the gaps at the ends of the rows, but Hickory (a few comments up from here) answered that question.

It might be a good tutorial with pics to explain how to do that as well. :)

MrsHeath wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 4:19 PM

Is there a different between 'skip next st' & 'skip next dc' ? I'm on row 2 and it is telling me to skip the next double crochet but when lookin befor a picture or tutorial of what that looks like, it explains it as skipping the next stitch...?

Hope that makes sense.

This is the best tutorial I have come across though. Thank you.

SashaKay wrote
on Nov 15, 2012 2:13 AM

I can't stand the gaping hole that skipping the first dc leaves in the work, so I don't skip it.  Instead of  a ch3 turning chain, I chain 2, turn, and dc into the first stitch.  It does make a slightly scalloped effect on the edges, but to me it's better than having that huge gap.  In fact, on some projects it looks quite nice to have the scallop effect, or if the directions say to sc around the edges, then you get the straight edge without the annoying hole.

SashaKay wrote
on Nov 15, 2012 2:28 AM

Now I see that Hickory (above) also uses the same method.  Two great minds.... LOL

preininger wrote
on Jan 8, 2013 2:46 AM

This has been the best Crochet tutorial I have ever seen!  Thank you for posting it.

greenie227 wrote
on Jan 11, 2013 8:38 AM

Oh, thank you. I needed this tutorial so badly.

madonnaearth wrote
on Jan 23, 2013 7:07 PM

So clear, so awesome! Thank you!

DBNana wrote
on Jan 25, 2013 7:49 AM

Wonderful pictures and instructions. That last stitch on a dc's row has been so hard for me to find. I am a left-handed, self taught crocheter. :(

On picture #10, the left side looks straight, but the right side doesn't  appear straight. Is this the way it will look?

Thank you very, very much for posting these pictures and instructions.

D

DBNana wrote
on Jan 25, 2013 7:50 AM

Sorry, I meant the WIN picture, not #10.

D

crathburn wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 8:47 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! this post is extremely helpful for a newbie!!! :) Explains why my blankets are lopsided!

katyjenell wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 7:06 AM

Thank you!!!!!  Found this post on Pinterest :-) Although I figured out on my own how to fix my mistake, this post helped explain Why I needed to do what I did.

cghipp wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 10:29 AM

Thank you for this! I found your site through Pinterest. I am a beginning crocheter and have been wondering if I was doing this correctly. I have looked at many books and this is the only place where I have seen this level of detail. I appreciate it!

cgHipp

on Feb 10, 2013 5:40 PM

I love you!

on Feb 10, 2013 5:42 PM

I love you!

sgalaniz wrote
on Feb 19, 2013 3:09 PM

I consider myself an "experienced" crocheter, and on occasion, I still have this problem.  Thank you for this great post.  It all makes sense, and now I feel I can tackle a more complex pattern.

gigi76 wrote
on Apr 2, 2013 6:11 PM

PERFECT!

My confusion was where the first stitch was in a new row. After the first couple of rows on my first blanket, I went with my gut, hoped it was right but stuck with it hoping it would look like I knew what I was doing.

THANK YOU!

kunalsingh wrote
on May 30, 2013 7:45 AM

Can't wait to purchase the magazine and get started on all of the projects. I love the Seafoam Shawl in Classic Elite Chesapeake. It lays so perfect for this pattern. My Granddaughters will love the bracelets and headband! Thank you for the great patterns! <a href="www.delhiwebsitedesigningcompany.com/.../" rel="dofollow">delhiwebsitedesigningcompany.com

</a>

on Jul 4, 2013 4:56 AM

thank you very much now i know how its done .i was making that mistake.thank you thank you

YUM64 wrote
on Oct 12, 2013 9:35 PM

This is SO helpful. This problem kept me from crocheting for almost ten years!

on Nov 19, 2013 6:26 AM

THANK YOU!! I am a beginner and this helped me more than any other video or written tutorial I've seen!

on Nov 19, 2013 6:27 AM

BizzyBee2012 wrote
on Nov 23, 2013 1:14 PM

Thank you for this wonderful tutorial, really helps :)

kroppykat wrote
on Dec 11, 2013 2:17 PM

Fabulous pictures and wonderful tutorial. Much needed and appreciated!

ebrecken wrote
on Jan 5, 2014 7:18 PM

Thanks so much!! Great pics.  I appreciate the tips.  It gives me hope that I will be able to have a dishcloth without angled sides :)

Grace7c wrote
on Jan 13, 2014 9:04 PM

Brilliant! I know realise I was putting my hook into the second stitch of the chain not the first.

Would absolutely love more phot tutorials on anything!

SherrelAnn wrote
on Jan 18, 2014 12:47 PM

I'm embarrassed to say, but I've been crocheting for about 5 years and did not know what I was doing wrong.  I started chaining 2 and going in the 2nd stitch when I got to the end of the row (which is straight).  When I chain 3, I always have quite a large hole, but maybe that was b/c I was doing it wrong.  I'm going to see if I can do it the right way.  Thank you so much!

Can you do a tutorial for dummies on HOW to do a granny square?  Mine always turn out to be circles :-(  I want to master this, thanks!

Lynn Morgan wrote
on Jan 18, 2014 1:37 PM

Thank you so much!!!!!   I have crocheted for years and always have problems with this with this stitch at the end of the row.

I have torn out thousands

of rows and had to redo them, only to have to tear them out again.

You are a life saver.     Your directions are very clear.

bbaker08 wrote
on Jan 26, 2014 1:13 PM

Thank you so much! I am new to crochet and I could not figure out how my rows were often uneven. Now, from watching this I feel confident to actually start a project. This is an awesome post and I will always keep it bookmarked.

kaystone wrote
on Feb 24, 2014 3:52 PM

This is the most helpful tutorial.  I have been so frustrated because my edges get wonky so I just quit the project.  Now it makes sense...thank you

Emphino wrote
on Jul 1, 2014 10:04 AM

Thank you for this tutorial.  hopefully i can put into practise  what I have learned from you.  Thanks millions ^.^

shemarie61 wrote
on Jul 6, 2014 1:49 PM

this is very helpful thankyou so much

on Jul 10, 2014 12:31 PM

Just curious! But when you start a new row using a double crochet stitch you do three single stitches not two? This pattern here: handcraftingwithlove.net/.../pat-ripple.html says to do two when turning and starting a new row. I thought it was two as well due to the fact it's a dc. Just curious of your thoughts on that! Thank you for the GREAT tutorial though! I have the worst issues with keeping my row counts consistent!