Yet More About Those Swedish Hats

Feb 24, 2010

Swedish hat pattern scanKids, I made a boo boo in my last post. Annette Petavy had actually emailed me with the info about the designer of the Swedish Olympic team's hats a couple of days before I saw Bernadette@Finally Teatime's comment. In my headless-chicken state these days, I totally lost track of it. I'm sorry, Annette!

In her email, Annette told me about a radio program she heard with Eva Christensson, the designer of the entire line of Olympics clothing for the Swedish team. The line consists of over 60 items, and team members choose among them. (You'll have to run that interview through Google Translate to get the gist of what she said.)

But wait, there's more! This morning I received an email from Eva Christensson herself. Seems the publicists at the Swedish Olympic Committee passed my email inquiry on to the designer, and she was kind enough to reply in English directly to me.

Upon returning to Sweden after spending twenty days in Vancouver and Whistler (had I known she was in town, I would have asked for an in-person interview!), Eva told me she was surprised to discover so much interest in the hat – "even more than in the Olympic games." Because the hats aren't for sale in stores, a crochet frenzy has taken over Sweden. Yellow and blue yarn and large crochet hooks are sold out all over the country and she's aware of all the homemade patterns popping up on Swedish websites.  She added that, "a lot of people who never made crochet before are now trying....it feels like the story is never ending."

I asked her why she chose crochet for the hats, when knitting can be done much more easily by machine. You're going to love her response: "Why we wanted a crochet hat is because the look of crochet is much cooler than a knitted version. Knitted caps have a totally different look. In Sweden these kind of crochet hats have been popular over the past winter seasons, especially among the younger generations."

The original team hats were made by Chinese company Li Ning Sport Goods Ltd, which is the clothing sponsor for the Swedish Olympic team. Eva indicated the sponsorship relationship when I asked why the hats were made in China rather than by Swedish crocheters.

So there we have it. A worldwide crochet fad is well underway, thanks to a friendly sportswear designer who knows how cool crochet is, a hat that isn't available in stores, and a community of enthusiastic crocheters who won't stop till they have a hat of their own.

Filed under: ,

Comments

on Feb 24, 2010 3:16 PM

AWESOME!!!

cdthomas wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 3:18 PM

Will she authorize publication of an English pattern translation? I know we've got people on the case about translating it, but it'd be cool to make sure we get it right.

Kim Werker wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 3:20 PM

You know what, cdthomas? I didn't even think to ask her about her original pattern. The patterns floating around in Swedish were figured out by individual crocheters, I think. And I believe Annette's been in touch with one of those crocheters to request permission to translate. I'll see if I can get a hold of Eva again to ask.

cdthomas wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 3:33 PM

Since y'all have taught me to step up for both Open Source principles and individual intellectual property, just thought I'd check if, you know, she'd have the right to put her pattern up for sale on Ravelry, with proceeds to the Swedish Olympic fund -- that way her bosses at the IOC won't get in a twist.

Barbie115 wrote
on Feb 25, 2010 11:50 AM

Can we get the pattern (in English of course).

Kim Werker wrote
on Feb 25, 2010 12:49 PM

I've heard back from Eva. She doesn't have the pattern.

From her comments (above) about the proliferation of bloggers and yarn-store owners who have put out their own patterns from the hat, it seems this is the way to go. I still haven't heard back from Annette about whether she's received permission to translate the most-circulated pattern into English – I'll keep you posted.

virkavix wrote
on Feb 26, 2010 4:28 AM

Here is a pattern translated into English.  It's a version of the original pattern posted in Sweden with extra comments...

homepage.mac.com/.../mossa.html

Ragamuffin wrote
on Mar 1, 2010 9:00 PM

May be of interest

www.metrobloggen.se/.../permalink.jsp

Has illustrated examples/definitions of Swedish terms

E. Nance wrote
on Mar 3, 2010 3:41 PM

The incredibly clever pattern designers at Ravelry have already come up with a pattern for this hat and several of the other Olympic hats.  There's been much testing among the members.  It's been great fun.

Barbie115 wrote
on May 7, 2010 2:10 PM

Are we ever going to get this pattern?

RainS wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 12:16 AM

I admire you. It seems to me, you are fearless and achieve alot in this life. Good of you! Now it is very interesting to read the results of our conversation. As for me I'm fond of knitting, but now I learn to make crochet. I found a lot of guides at free files SE http://www.sharedshares.com . I hope that soon I'll be able to make such a hat. I like it a lot. You know, it will be interesting to compare a knitted hat and crochet hat.  Will they really look so different?

on Aug 13, 2012 11:37 AM

Do you remember the crochet hats worn by the Swedish team at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, Canada?