Seraphina Lace Shawl: Completed

Jan 12, 2011

Seraphina Shawl

Over the summer I got it in my head to crochet a shawl for my soon-to-be new sister-in-law. A few years ago I made a Seraphina's Shawl out of aran weight alpaca yarn I picked up during my Crochet Me book tour, and I thought the pattern would be exactly what I wanted in a much finer laceweight yarn – something delicate looking, in a pattern that's easy to memorize and relaxing to work. Of course I didn't finish the shawl in time for the August wedding, but I did finish it in time to give it to my sister-in-law for Hanukkah. Phew.

I would have used a 3mm hook with the Indigo Moon Natural Muga Silk yarn but I didn't have one the night I was desperate to start, so I used a 2.5mm hook assuming the stitches would relax in blocking (I was right).

I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story. (There are some more details on Ravelry.)

Seraphina Shawl: Before Blocking
Before blocking.

Seraphina Shawl: Before Blocking
Texture before blocking.

Seraphina Shawl: Blocking
I very gently wet blocked the shawl.

Seraphina Shawl

Comments

mare@4 wrote
on Jan 12, 2011 7:37 PM

This is absolutely Lovely!

tannaauger wrote
on Jan 16, 2011 3:27 PM

beautiful.  Good job!!!

on Jan 17, 2011 6:08 PM

What a beautiful gift, you have a lucky sister-in-law!

on Feb 7, 2011 5:39 PM

Blocking is gold! I used to spray block because I'm generally lazy, but one day I wet blocked some organic cotton face-washers I'd made up for a Christmas present. Imagine my delight at how much better the stitches sat! Did you pin down the shawl Kim, if so what did you pin it to? I'm curious about larger projects and how to manage difficult items like cardi's.

It's a stunning shawl by the way - I especially love the delicate lace look and the uber gorgeous colour (blue's my favourite). :)

on Feb 7, 2011 5:41 PM

I just saw the other piccies in Flickr and I see that you have indeed pinned down the shawl. Do you mind me asking what type of board that is? I would love to get one.  Cheers, Andrea

Kim Werker wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 5:53 PM

aussie_andrea – I bought the blocking board at my local yarn store. Some yarn stores carry them; others will order one for you. It's not cheap, but I've found it very, very helpful!

kadalmesir wrote
on Sep 21, 2011 9:38 PM

woow... nice... beautiful.. and good job...

<a href="jogjapromocenter.com/top1olisintetikmobilmotorindonesia">TOP 1 Oli Sintetik Mobil-Motor Indonesia</a>

Lovinlocks wrote
on Oct 17, 2011 9:33 AM

Wowsers!

I have never blocked.  What is the grid thingy the Seraphina is being blocked on, please?

Kim Werker wrote
on Oct 17, 2011 11:34 AM

@Lovinlocks – It's a blocking board. It's cloth-covered foam that wicks moisture. The ruler helps you block things to size. It's one of my favourite things. :)