Go with the flo

May 27, 2009

In our enewsletter, CrochetMe More, we're exploring what happens when you crochet in the back loop only (blo)or front loop only (flo). (Not getting the enewsletter yet? Pop over to the right there and click on "Get Our Enewsletter")

Working flo produces a fabric with a smooth finish, good coverage and great drape. And, like Flo "Kiss My Grits" Castleberry at Mel's Diner, this stitch is taller than its both-loop counterpart.

Look:
IMG_4036
The double-loop double-crochet swatch is on the left; flo is on the right. The swatches have the same number of rows, but the flo swatch is a full row taller. And the unused back loops present as a fine horizontal line.

Lovely.

Try a swatch and see how you can apply it to your favorite pattern.

Have fun going with the flo.

Marcy

Filed under:

Comments

on Jun 5, 2009 6:39 AM
Wendy H
Sweetwater Inspirations

www.SweetwaterGifts.etsy.com

on Jun 5, 2009 6:44 AM

Oops!

I learned to crochet when I was little without a pattern and was taught only the flo method. So now that I'm trying to use a pattern, I'm confused. I never knew there really was a size difference, I just found out I was an odd ball not using both loops. Do patterns actually state which method to use? At this point I'm more concerned with guage and getting things to fit.

Wendy H
Sweetwater Inspirations

www.SweetwaterGifts.etsy.com

Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 5, 2009 10:17 AM
Hi Wendy!
Well, this should change your crochet life! Yes, the flo method will definitely throw your guage off if the pattern is written for double-loop crochet. The double-loop stitch is the default -- if the pattern doesn't specify, then crocheting through two loops is the method you use.
Hopes this helps!

Marcy

on Jun 5, 2009 10:33 AM

Thanks - have a pattern on the back burner.

Will have watch the mindless switching between the two since I'm so used to flo.

Now if I can only find time...

Wendy H
Sweetwater Inspirations

www.SweetwaterGifts.etsy.com

Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 5, 2009 10:42 AM

Yes, that whole time thing. What pattern are you thinking about?

on Jun 5, 2009 7:26 PM

It's a summer shrug pictured in Green on the front cover of Leisure Arts 4357. It calls for a (3)-sport weight yarn - which generally is only available for babies and therefore in baby pastels.

I'm more of an earthtones person and really don't want to make it in a stiff cotton yarn, so I'm still looking. Also will need about 1300 yards so an expensive yarn would add up fast.

Any ideas on reasonably priced brands? Kind of thinking a dark terracotta color would be nice.

Wendy H
Sweetwater Inspirations

www.SweetwaterGifts.etsy.com

Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 8, 2009 10:45 AM
Hey Wendy,
You might consider using laceweight doubled.It's a very affordable option & comes in a rainbow of colors.

Marcy

on Jun 8, 2009 10:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Wendy H