Forest Flower .. Cardi!

Jun 10, 2009

Here it is!

My version of Kristin Omdahl's Forest Flower Pullover, from the Spring cover of Interweave Crochet.

DSC00705

The surprise is that it's a cardi! (You can't see this all that well because Peggy Sue there is a few sizes smaller than I am.) I like it a lot.

Now, I need your help. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to work the closure. The top motif part is quite a bit lighter than the body of the sweater, so I'm not sure how well it will support buttons. But buttons will be involved somehow, if only at the top of the teal portion of the body. I'm planning to put the closure just at the top, not all the way down the front.

I dove into my button stash and this is what I emerged with:

DSC00708

What's your vote?

And, no pressure, but I need to get this closure thing worked out in the next day, so I can wear this at TNNA.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Marcy

Filed under:

Comments

trude wrote
on Jun 10, 2009 12:59 PM

I would crochet a matching button; none of those seem just right. what is tnna? Could you help with the final motif on that pattern in a way that is as clear as your photos? Thanks.

on Jun 10, 2009 2:35 PM

To be honest Marcy, I don't think the buttons work.

The cardigan is lovely without the buttons. I, myself,

would prefer a simple tie worked using a simple chain and single crochet and to attach the single crocheted tie to the top edges of the beautiful crocheted flower laced yoke.

Another option would be to have a toning satin ribbon

threaded through the flower laced yoke.

Tie the ribbon, or crocheted ties in a loose bow, to suit!

Lilian Geraldine Guyers
Skelm West Lancs

UK

Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 10, 2009 5:05 PM
oh, both wonderful suggestions! I would do without the buttons at all, but the cardi will not stay closed -- the bottom is too heavy & pulls the yoke down. Maybe a tie at the top of the body section that I then thread through the yoke to close. I'll give it a whirl and post a picture.
"Trudels": Since I did the cardi, the final motif wasn't necessary. But I will take a look and see what I can do!
TNNA is the The National NeedleArts Association, held twice a year. In June, it's in Columbus, Ohio. More info here: http://www.tnna.org/ We learn about new yarns & products. We talk to designers & yarn manufacturers.

Marcy

lindapermann wrote
on Jun 10, 2009 11:47 PM

Marcy- What about a few hook and eye closures sewn inside the sweater (you know, the same kind that are on bras, or on top of zippers on pencil skirts)? I don't think it needs a button, but this would give you a closure w/o taking any focus away from the pretty motifs.

The other thought is to add a line of sc around the yoke that extends to fsc to form ties in the front (I like that better than threading it through, but that's just me). It might also clean up/straighten the motif edges and help balance out that lacy edge and give the top a bit of the visual weight like that of the bottom portion of the sweater.

I'm sure you'll figure something out. Have fun at TNNA!

Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 11, 2009 2:51 PM
Hey Linda!
Excellent suggestion on the sc edging. It does need a bit of oomph there. I may play with it more when I return.
Thanks!

Marcy

belrose wrote
on Feb 18, 2010 4:21 PM

My vote is the square-ish button, 3rd from the right.  I love the design, you've done a great job.  You wouldn't have a pattern by any chance?

Anne

belrose wrote
on Feb 18, 2010 4:26 PM

Another thought ... what about threading a ribbon through all the way around, just under the bust - would give more definition to your figure ... the yarn looks a bit heavier than the original patter and may not drape as well.  Love the colour though, the flower motifs look so much better in the colours you've chosen.