Cate Blanket

Sep 19, 2009

Just because you have a blanket doesn't mean you have to use it.

293.ad.Blanchett.091709

Apparently, it was cold in Melbourne, where Cate appeared at the opening of Screen Worlds at ACMI
Here's the story.

If you're thinking of trying this at home, consider first sending your blanket here or here or here. But not here or here.

All good stitches,

Marcy

Comments

CraftyWitch wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 6:50 PM

I think What Not to Crochet(http://whatnottocrochet.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/the-granny-square-vs-the-red-carpet/) beat you to it.

NorahW wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 8:49 PM

I was surprised to see that the comments to the story you posted were either positive or "who cares".

CapnHook wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 7:11 PM

oh, wow. I hope this falls into "any publicity is good publicity"... I hate to see my beloved crochet so maligned!

on Sep 20, 2009 7:34 PM
Power to our fearless Kate who doesn't mind being called Kate Blanket!

JacqBrisbane

JoniB2009 wrote
on Sep 23, 2009 5:27 PM

I am surprised to see such negative reactions to this not only creative use for a granny square afghan but also the courage to be different in such a public way! I think a lot of the people that made negative comments are ignorant and refer to this as a dress made from a rug. I haven't seen a granny square blanket used as a rug although if you used the strong enough material to make it I am sure that it is possible. It goes to show you that there are unlimited ways to change up the old ways of thinking with crochet and knitting. The days of crocheting and knitting being for grannies is long gone by!!! Now it is a way to create unique and fabulous art to wear and make a statement. I have an online website that I like to say "Dare to Wear Different" because I am a rebel from the 70's. Still have the hippie chick inside! LOL I created an item that I refer to as steampunk hand jewelry and it was surprisingly worn in silver by a well known rock star. Of course hers was made in the silver metal but I made mine with black crochet thread and the same concept. I love it when tis happens!!! I think I will make some of them in the silver yarn that I have sitting in my large stash of yarn that I have collected lately.

I really need to stop buying yarn!!

JoniB

www.joniscrochetcreations.artfire.com

on Nov 27, 2009 6:59 AM

If it didn't have that one sleeve on the right, I'd like it. I don't think I could pull that off, though...

That would look cool as a strapless dress too.

-And the Mome Raths Outgrabe-