Giving Thanks with A Scarf Pattern

Nov 25, 2009

In our Thanksgiving Crochet Me enewsletter—What? Are you still not getting this weekly trove of tips and techniques? Sign up now—I tell about a reader who wants to make a scarf for his girlfriend. The scarf he wants to make is the Retro Striped Scarf from an earlier enewsletter.

It looks like this:

IMG_4982_2

All he needs is the pattern. So I studied the scarf, which I made when I was a teenager, and worked out the pattern.

IMG_5018

And here it is, a free crocheted scarf pattern. Just my way of saying thanks to all of you.

Retro Striped Scarf

Materials

3 colors worsted weight yarn
Retro uses light blue (A), dark blue (B) and white (C)

Size J hook

Pattern

Ch 32.

Row 1: (set-up): sc in 2nd ch from hook *ch 1, sk ch, sc in next ch, rep from * to end. 16 sc, 15 ch-1 sp. Turn.

Row 2:
ch 1 (sc, ch 1, sc) in 1st ch-1 sp, *ch 1, sc in next ch-1 sp, rep from * across. 16 sc, 15 ch-1 sp. Turn.

Row 3: ch 1, sc in next ch-1 sp, *ch 1, sc in next ch 1 sp, rep from * across, sc in tch. 16 sc, 15 ch-1 sp. Turn.

Rep Rows 2-3 for patt.
Striping: Work 10 rows total of A, change to B for 10 rows, change to C for 10 rows, rep striping patt for 100 inches (or desired length), ending with A.

Fringe: Cut 120 12-inch lengths of B (Tip: Wind yarn around 6-inch piece of cardboard, then cut one end to make 12-inch lengths.) Fold 4 strands of yarn in half. Pull center of all loops at once through ch-1 sp on end corner of scarf, then pull loose ends of fringe through loop. Tug to tighten. Repeat across all ch-1 loops.

Wear it or give it away. Enjoy.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Marcy

Comments

TLD wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 10:03 PM

Thank you so much for the "Retro Striped Scarf" pattern! I LOVE IT! I can't wait to make one.

bellystitch wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 10:18 PM

Thanks so much for this pattern. I loved it when I saw it last week in the newsletter. I was going to try to figure it out on my own. I am starting tomorrow so I will have time to finish before Christmas.

Carol@417 wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 11:26 PM

Thank you , thank you!! I loved this when I saw it in the newsletter. I am putting this on my list of "have to dos".

on Nov 26, 2009 11:43 PM

This is one cool looking scarf! Thank you for sharing. Too bad I just finished the scarves for my daughters teachers........ Guess I'll have to make one for ME! :-)

SoCalPam wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 8:29 AM

Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. I plan on making one for my daughter.

JanetK@36 wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 9:01 AM

Yesterday I spent what seemed like HOURS searching through books and online for a diagonal scarf pattern. Never found one that I liked for the yarn I am using. (An alpaca/bamboo blend)

At the end of the day I was saying to myself that I would be very grateful to find the right pattern. Then this morning as I am reading blogs I get this. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!

RobinH@4 wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 9:23 AM

Thank you so much for a beautiful scarf pattern. As the others have mentioned, I too have been looking for something different. I now have something to do for my school principal. Thank you again!!!

MichelleW@5 wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 11:22 AM

Thank you for the beautiful pattern. Even though I have been crocheting for about 45 years I still hate weaving in the ends. I usually use self striping yarns as much as possible. What worked best for you on this pattern?

lorrwill wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 11:56 AM

I have to smile that the original is from the seventies because it reminds me of the something I would have loved to have made back then. So THANK YOU for the chance to make it now. It is a retro-classic.

jbsews wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 3:32 PM

Thank you so much. When I first saw it, I was hoping for the pattern. So sad when it wasn't there. :( Happy now! I can't wait to make a few for dear friends and family!

la jefa wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 7:25 PM

Thank you so much, Marcy, for this great pattern. Would be great done in holiday colors (red, green & white for Christmas; red, pink & white for Valentine's, etc.)

mwitch3 wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 9:49 PM

Thanks for the great pattern!! My favorite thing to crochet is scarves, and I hate making them the same. This is easy while still allowing for every single one to be unique! Thank you!

tfmech wrote
on Nov 28, 2009 7:36 AM

Thank you for the pattern. Being new it took me a little while to figure out where it was located but it was worth the search. Can't wait to get started on it. Thanks again.

anneito wrote
on Nov 28, 2009 10:10 AM

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving! Your scarf is the perfect solution to a project that has been rolling around in my head for almost a year! Thank you for the wonderful free pattern.

Anne

DebbieO@8 wrote
on Nov 28, 2009 11:15 AM

Love the diagonal look. Due to the economy our extended family has agreed that gifts must be handmade this year. This is perfect...Thanks for the free pattern!

Tracy wrote
on Nov 28, 2009 2:48 PM

Well I can only repeat what all the other posters have said. It is a great scarf pattern and I know jes will love it. I am sure once the sorority girls see this scarf they are all going to want one too. I would love to hear back what the response is. Retro is back and this is a winner.

Marcy Smith wrote
on Nov 28, 2009 2:49 PM
Hi msmrwhite!
The repeats are too wide to carry the yarn along the side, so you would have to weave the ends in. I try to do it as I go -- you can crochet over the ends, or just stop to weave them in every few stripes. I find that I get a more secure finish if I weave them in rather than work over them. But a self-striping yarn would be fabulous for this pattern, so I'd say go with what makes you happiest!
Best,

Marcy

Marcy Smith wrote
on Nov 28, 2009 2:50 PM
I'm glad you've joined our community, tfmech!

Marcy

MichelleW@5 wrote
on Nov 29, 2009 11:54 AM

Thanks for the reply Marcy. I will go with weaving in because I never feel secure just crocheting over the ends either.

Crochet_Nut wrote
on Dec 2, 2009 8:22 PM

Howdy & thank you for sharing this pattern. I intend to make this as a gift asap. Very Nice~!!

AnnaH wrote
on Dec 3, 2009 11:38 AM
Hi,

It took me a little while to find the retro stripped scarf pattern today.I made a copy of the pattern when I did finally find it. I am new to your website and just joined the other day. I fell in love with it when I first saw it about a week ago. I will eventually get some yarn for it. Thank you and thanks for sharing it.

CrochetRT wrote
on Dec 8, 2009 9:14 AM

Ok. It may be just me, but I can't seem to get the diagonal shift to work out. It is going right on one side but the other is even. What may I be doing wrong?

Also, the stitch counts seem off to me. 16 sc and 15 ch-1 spaces? How if you start with 32 sc? Like I said, maybe its just me, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Marcy Smith wrote
on Dec 8, 2009 11:43 PM
Hi CrochetRT,

Which side isn't working right? Increase or decrease?

The stitch counts are correct. They work because you are crocheting in the ch-sps only and one sc is left unworked at the end of every row on the dec side. If you make sure you have 16 sc & 15 ch sp each row, everything should work out.

Give it a whirl & let me know.
Best,

Marcy

CrochetRT wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 12:42 PM

It's the increase side that's giving me fits. It doesn't "hang over" the starting row. I re-worked it several times and always get the same result. I'll try again. 15th times a charm, right? lol

Marcy Smith wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 12:48 PM

Have you done a few rows? Because for the first few rows, it doesn't look like it's going to slant. About the time you change colors, you say, "Oh, there it is!"

switkosky wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 12:52 PM

I've gone through this very same thing, but eventually got it. The only thing that I did differently than what the pattern calls for is to add an extra ch-1 before the sc in the turning chain on row 3. Then when I go to start row 2 (sc, ch1, sc) in first ch-1 space, it seems to help with the "slant" effect that you are looking for.

Oh, and Marcy...I haven't had a chance to thank you yet, so thank you for this outstanding pattern! I'm on my second scarf already!

Jobuffalo wrote
on Jan 21, 2010 3:47 PM

I made this scarf with Lion Brand Wool Ease and it was beautiful.  Thank you for the retro pattern.  Many of us are eager to go retro to see what our great grandmothers and grandmothers have done.  I for one have a Swiss heritage and beautiful crocheted items here in my home from my great grandmother.  She also tatted and knitted.  Awesome.  I do however have a hard time trying to copy the patterns already crochet but will keep trying until I get it right.

Your retro scarf has given me more incentive to keep on trying.

buffalo2b

jlj2456 wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 9:31 AM

Hi, I was wondering if this pattern could also be made into a blanket or afghan? What do you think? Thanks so much for your advice, Jennifer

Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 12:37 PM

Hi Jil2456,

Interesting! Would you make the afghan in strips of stripes?

Marcy

jlj2456 wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 2:02 PM

HI, again, Well, I thought if I just extended and used more stitches in each row, it may work like do 64 sc in first row with 60 ch-1 sp in first row (I took 16x4 and 15x4) and then follow the pattern in row 2 but extend it and just change colors every 10 rows like you do for the scarf, what do you think? Am I making any sense( I am sleep deprived today from my 6 month old, plus my 6 year old had his first golf lesson at 8 a.m. today :)

on Dec 19, 2010 1:06 PM

I have made an afghan of this pattern a few years ago. I made 4 blocks and then turned then where they formed a square and sewed them together. Beautiful effect!

daniellionel wrote
on Nov 6, 2012 6:33 AM

Learn to make a scarf like this is quite an interesting activity to do. In my opinion, make crafts and later can be used to support the appearance is a very good thing. Therefore, on a vacation this time I'd like to fill it by doing a course to make handicrafts. <a href="www.ramatalks.com/.../a>

on Dec 9, 2012 10:51 PM

Okay...I'm still having trouble with this pattern after thoroughly reading it at least ten times and pulling apart just as many potential scarves. One side is slanting, but the other stays poker-straight, even after ten or so rows :/

Sandykob wrote
on Dec 2, 2013 5:05 PM

Help please, I started this scarf, and my question is this,  one side is an even diagonal, and the other diagonal side is looking scalloped.  Is this correct, or time for me to tear out? Thanks

Sandykob wrote
on Dec 2, 2013 5:05 PM

Shirie White wrote
on Feb 16, 2014 11:25 PM

As hard as I've tried, I can't get the angle to be as in your photo. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it just isn't as easy as printed.     Also, which row is the dec. row? Sorry to not be able to get this pattern right. It is such a pretty scarf and I really do want to make it in my granddaughters school colors.

swhite70@ec.rr.com

Shirie White wrote
on Apr 3, 2014 4:13 PM

I finally got the scarf made and it turned out Beautiful. I made it in my granddaughters school colors, gold, black and white. Not the colors that I would have picked, yet it turned out great. Would love to send you a photo of it, but I don't know how to do that. Thank you so much for the pattern.

Shirie White