Textured Crocheted Dishcloth

Jun 25, 2009

Today we wrapped up our discussion of crocheting in the front loop only (flo) and back loop only (blo) to produce different fabrics.

This washcloth features a stitch that utilizes both the front and back loop of the same stitch to create a sturdy fabric.
When I went to fetch the cloth from the kitchen to firm up the details of the pattern, I couldn't find it by the sink where I left it. I glanced about and found it IN the sink – some intrepid dish-washer had USED the cloth. How was he (she?) to know that it was technically a WIP, since I hadn't finished writing the pattern.
No complaints – good to know someone's doing the dishes! And it works well. I squeezed it out and here's the pattern:

DSC00739_2

Flo/blo Textured Washcloth

This makes an 8-inch square washcloth. To make it bigger, add more stitches. You will also need more yarn, as this cloth takes up almost the full ball.

materials
1 ball Sugar & Cream (Lily, 100% cotton) (I used color 01011)
hook: 7
abb:

rev sc: reverse single crochet (work sc from left to right across row)

dc: double crochet

blo: back loop only

flo: front loop only

directions
Chain 32. Work dc in 3rd chain from hook and all chains across (30 st). Do not turn.

Row 1: ch 1 (does not count as st) rev sc flo

IMG_4089

Row 2: ch 2 (does not count as st) dc blo

IMG_4095

Repeat rows 1 and 2 11 times. Do not break off yarn.

Work Rev sc around border of cloth, working two or three rev scs in corners.

IMG_4088

Cut yarn and pull through final loop. Weave in ends.

Happy washing!

Marcy

Comments

JenniferS@2 wrote
on Jun 25, 2009 3:18 PM

Thank you for the washcloth pattern, and thanks even more for the great e-newsletter content so far from both Marcy and Toni!

I really like the way the Crochet Me newsletter is being handled---this newsletter is actually USEFUL, and it focuses on techniques, information, and inspiration that are really educating readers! It, and the various links it points out to the Crochet Me blog, are presenting the kind of information that helps readers to learn new skills, look at what they are doing in new ways, pay attention to details that make a difference in their work, and raise the level of their crocheting overall. We really need this kind of communication!

Some other yarn-related newsletters out there are pretty low on content and seem more like advertisements to encourage readers to buy various books, magazines, or products. Keep up the terrific work!

Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 25, 2009 3:46 PM
Thanks, Yarnity! We love crochet and can't help sharing the love. Thanks for your good words.
Best,

Marcy

mmashelly wrote
on Jun 26, 2009 7:46 AM

I am confused as to what exactly reverse single crochet is... I guess the description doesn't really help me because I am left handed anyway, so I always crochet from left to right. So, I am trying to conceptualize what you are talking about, and I just keep getting confused...

alovelything wrote
on Jun 26, 2009 8:26 AM

Awesome idea. Going on my take-along project list.

So you never turn the work?

I'm finishing up an afghan with a reverse HALF-double crochet, decided to call it the lobster stitch :) Or, pain in the butt stitch ... I'm very slow at it.

Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 26, 2009 4:47 PM
Yes, it's true that you never turn the work.
And mmashelly: Try this: To do the single crochet from left to right, you are probably inserting the hook from the top of the loop to the bottom of the loop. For the reverse single crochet, insert the hook from the bottom of the loop to the top of the loop. It should create the twisted stitch you see above. Let me know how it works out!

Marcy

kcrystina wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 8:20 PM

Thanks for this wash cloth pattern. It seems to be a very simple and quick pattern to whip up. Look forward to getting my hook at it. :)

Kcrystina
Mixed Media Jewelry Artist & Crocheter

www.kcrystina.com

KarenO@9 wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 2:50 PM

Thanks for this pattern it has become my new waiting room project(my Mom has numerous Doctors appointments and I usually drive her). I have already made two washcloths. Karen

MarilynW@21 wrote
on Oct 31, 2009 4:51 PM

This is my first crochet dishcloth.... I just love how easy & quick it is plus it looks so great.... I have knit all my dishcloths before....

ginaartist wrote
on Sep 7, 2010 8:03 PM

I am fairly new to crochet and I am having trouble locating which is the back loop of the reverse-single-crocheted row.  It is not obvious to me when I am coming back with the next row of double crochet.  I am wondering if I am doing it right.  I followed a youtube video to learn the rsc.  Anyone have suggestions?

on Oct 2, 2010 8:37 PM

thanks for this pattern!  I haven't crocheted anything since we moved to our new house some 10 months ago (!!) so this is an excellent way for me to get back into the stitch of things and learn a new trick (the reverse crochet) as well!

meadowlark3 wrote
on Oct 15, 2010 4:47 PM

ginaartist, There should be two loops of yarn at the top of the stitch.  One will appear to  be on the front of the piece and the other to the back.  Pick up the back loop of yarn so that there is only one strand of yarn on your hook.  If you can, go to the following webpage at about.com and take a look at the top photo.

crochet.about.com/.../Openwork_Dishcloth_Pattern_3.htm

The hook is in the back loop and the front loop is left alone.  I hope this helps.

annkolpin wrote
on Jun 9, 2011 3:51 PM

This pattern looks so cool.  Wish there was a youtube for it.  Going on a long trip and would love to make this on the airplane or while waiting iin the airport.

SRhea wrote
on Aug 9, 2011 12:30 PM

I really like this pattern.  I am making a lot of dishcloths and started to make this one only I am a little confused on the crochet hook size.  The size  7 looks a bit small to me.  Can you clarify, please?

Marcy Smith wrote
on Aug 9, 2011 12:40 PM

Hi SHrea,

The size 7 Susan Bates was perfect with the Sugar & Cream cotton to produce a nice, dense dishcloth without cramping my hands in the process. But that's me & my gauge. Maybe you & your gauge want to go up a size? Give it a whirl.

Best,

Marcy

SRhea wrote
on Aug 9, 2011 1:44 PM

Thank you for clarifying things for me.  I will give it a try.