The January Hat

Jan 29, 2010

This is the post in which a guy named Rex continues to exert his influence.

On my January trip to Colorado and California and back, I embarked on Hat No. 2 in the the Well-Traveled Hat series.

Here I'm all set up with Patons Classic Wool Roving in Dark Grey (77040) and Magenta (77402), a size K hook and the 24K Hook Catcher (Interweave Crochet Winter 2009 issue), inspired by an earlier adventure on a plane.

(Not sure if you can see this, but the map there on the seat back shows the little plane—with me in it—way over on the West Coast.)

I tucked the yarn into the seat back pocket with the ends feeding out and set up the pattern on the drop-down table (it's the Tahoe Hat from Interweave Crochet Fall 2009 issue again—a good pattern when the brain is too full to think too hard).

Attached to my 24K Hook Catcher are my handy stitch markers, to avoid repeating the Lame Stitch Marker Incident from the November hat.

Stitch-marker in place:

I found that the hook-holder is also handy for holding a pen:

by the time we're over New Mexico, the top is well underway (the yarn is yummy and squishy. Roving is like a single, but with no twist at all):

I just love this map thing. it shows you where you are in the world:

How high you are, how fast the plane is moving and what the temperature is outside the plane (cold):

(not sure about the 50mph figure—crochet rate maybe?)

Top is done and it's time to think about a color change:

moving right along:

t-t-t-urbulence:

and done! ...

... as we approach the Mighty Mississippi!

Here it is:

But what will I do as we pass over Mississippi and Alabama?

Stay tuned for Part II of The January Hat.

Meanwhile, this grey-and-pink hat needs a home. Do you have a charity to suggest? It's a very soft hat, suitable for teen or grown-up. It needs to be hand-washed cold, then dried flat (unless you want a smaller hat, in which case it can just go in the washer and dryer).

Leave your suggestions in the comments below.

Happy crocheting,

Marcy

Free Crochet Hat PatternsDownload Your Free eBook Today

FREE Downloadable eBook: Crocheting hats is a great way to practice your stitches with speedy results! Get your FREE eBook: Six Free Crochet Hat Patterns Crochet Hats with Crochet Me! These six hat patterns are from expert designers and will keep you busy crocheting with a variety of styles to choose from! Download your Free eBook Today!

Comments

Kim Marie B wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 2:13 PM

I have a question... how do you cut your yarn on the plane?  They don't allow you to take a scissors on board anymore unless it's in your checked luggage.  I had mine taken away last time I flew, and it was a child's scissors, which I thought would be okay.  I used to like to crochet on the plane, but now no longer can if it's a project where I need to cut the yarn.

Thanks,

Kim

on Jan 29, 2010 3:01 PM

i wish i could do that.

melanier12 wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 8:14 PM

I never thought about crocheting on the plane!  Great idea for the next time we go to Romania (where my husband is from and his family still is).

Vered2 wrote
on Jan 30, 2010 6:57 PM

I thought that hooks were also not allowed on board, were you questioned about them? and as Kim Marie asked, how did you cut the yarn?

amfortunet wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 12:05 AM

You can cut yard with a yarn cutter available at Michael's and I'm sure at other stores that sell yarn.  The cutter has a recessed blade with a slit to put the yarn in.  It may pass inspection because it's strong metal ornament-looking--you can't take it apart.

Vered2 wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 6:42 PM

Thank you for the tip about the cutter.

FionaF@2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 7:13 AM

If you don't want to spring for a yarn cutter, bring dental floss.  The little metal tab doesn't cut as nicely as a pair of scissors but works well enough for air travel (best to try it before leaving home though as some cut better than others). Because I'm a pack-rate, I saved the plastic crochet hooks you occasionally get as a freebie in the mail.  They aren't quite as sturdy as those you purchase but work well and have used them for air travel without any problem. (I just have to remember to keep a stash of hook-size appropriate patterns handy so I'm not scrambling at the last minute).

Marcy Smith wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 4:06 PM

Hey Kim & Vared!

Well, this yarn is so soft, it breaks if you give it a good tug. With plied yarn, I usually untwist and break each ply. I wait til I get home to do the prettying up (weaving in ends & cutting properly). Hooks have not been a problem on the plane. Circular knitting needles also not a problem. FionaF, good tip on the dental floss! The nifty hook-holder really does help a lot with keeping the hook from escaping (my largest trouble on the plane). I crochet every time I travel, without trouble. And I'll note that I can't crochet in a car because it makes me woogy in the head. But I can crochet in a plane.

Happy trails!

Marcy

Realtan wrote
on Feb 2, 2010 2:38 AM

Can we please have more info on the hook catcher/holder that you mention - it looks like a spectacle cord end with the markers tagged onto it, but I could be sooo wrong and I can't find anything similar online!  Thanks.

karlia wrote
on Feb 3, 2010 5:13 PM

Regarding cutting yarn on a plane, I bought  a round thread cutter which has recessed cutters.  It worked OK.  I also saw some round tipped kiddy scissors which had a metal cutting edge.  I thought about trying those, but I have no plans to fly right now.  Good luck!

mabbott2 wrote
on Feb 3, 2010 5:36 PM

I use medium-sized nail clippers. They work pretty well if they're new and sharp.

mabbott2 wrote
on Feb 3, 2010 5:45 PM

About cutting on the plane, I use meduium sized nail clippers. If they're new and sharp, they work great.

Kim Marie B wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 9:00 AM

Thanks everyone!  I'm leaving on a trip soon, so I went out and purchased a yarn cutter pendant.  I think it will work great!  I also bought plastic crochet hooks and yarn needles just in case.

Kim

Marcy Smith wrote
on Feb 6, 2010 10:40 AM

Hi Realtan!

The pattern for the 24K Hook Catcher is in the Winter Issue of Interweave Crochet -- it's the first of our new Fast & Fabulous feature. I have to say I really love it! Super easy and fun to make.

Marcy

OsmiaL wrote
on Feb 8, 2010 4:26 PM

**"t-t-t-urbulence"**

ROFLMAO!!!

on Aug 23, 2011 5:05 PM

Today we're debuting our new free eBook: 6 Free Crochet Hat Patterns: Crochet Hats with CrochetMe

on Aug 25, 2011 10:55 AM

Tips for packing crochet on your travels

on Aug 25, 2011 11:13 AM

In my continuing series of the Well-Traveled Hat, I present the February Hat. I'm all ready with

on Aug 25, 2011 11:14 AM

So, here's a thing I didn't tell you about the airplane trip : I was not a happy camper until

on May 1, 2013 4:23 AM

Turning stash yarn into a bunch of beanies, part 2.