Crochet Haven

Mar 15, 2011

The day is here, folks. Moving day! Tomorrow, I load up all of my family's stuff and move it to our new house. We're excited and stressed. I'm stressed about everything except one thing: a crochet studio. At last! A crafting space just for me!

The only problem is that, up till now, my mind has been so preoccupied with the logistics of buying a house and moving, that I have hardly started my plan for how I want to set up and decorate my space.

Help!

It's a small attic room with only a skylight for natural light, so I was thinking of painting the walls plain white (for better light and photo backgrounds). But I don't want to sit in a white room. It needs some pizzazz!

So tell me about your craft room. Do you have it set up as a space to relax, or to whip your mind into a creative frenzy? How do you store your yarns? Mine are used to being squished into plastic bins, but I'm excited to find a way to display them where they can inspire me.

What cute ideas do you have for hook containers? How do you keep your kids out?

I've been flipping through other Interweave publications, especially the Studios special issue, for ideas. Please share your ideas with me, too! If you're particularly full of fantastic ideas, you might want to share them with Studios or with Fiberarts (they're having a great contest right now)..I'll be taking pictures and blogging about how I transform the attic space into my fiber studio, so check back!

Until next time,

Filed under:

Featured Product

Studios Winter 2010

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $14.99

Magazine Single Issue

Studios, Winter 2010 is 148 pages that focus on cozy creativity with the theme Small Spaces, Big Style: Making Do with What You Have.

Comments

photogmomma wrote
on Mar 15, 2011 5:44 PM

What about painting it white and then either tacking your random swatches all around - especially the colorful ones - or putting up a tackboard to do that... You can even tack up inspirational pictures, etc. and switch it all out as you get bored, are done with something or need more space! You don't have to use a lot to spruce it up!

And how about crocheting a little hook caddy out of some yarn with wire? I've never done that, but it sounds fun!

Good luck with the move!

Karen604 wrote
on Mar 16, 2011 10:17 AM

It is easy to keep the kids out of my fiber arts room. I offer to teach them to crochet. they run!

Holly@2 wrote
on Mar 16, 2011 3:39 PM

Well, I do not have a craft room but if I did I would have pine or cedar cabinets with glass doors so that the yarn and books are easily seen. It gets dusty here so doors would help preserve everything. If you need a white wall for photographs, just do one. There are no rules that say the other walls cannot be a different color. Blues or greens help with the zen feel.

Char55 wrote
on Mar 16, 2011 6:10 PM

I store my yarn in a closet in hanging sweater bags (8 shelves to a bag) with clear zippered fronts. Keeps the yarn visible and clean. Keep the short hooks & flexible afghan hooks in a plastic utensil caddy I got for $1.19 at Goodwill Thrift store. It has 3 slots on one side for the short hooks and one long slot on the other for the long flexible hooks with the handle in the middle. The long crochet hooks and rulers I keep in a tall Pink vase.

yarn froggie wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 5:38 PM

My mother's favorite way to keep us out of her quilting corner was a heavy yardstick and threats to sew us into what she was working on.

I prefer the idea of sharing the craft with the kids...yes, they run sometimes, but as teens, mine spent a lot of time adding to their own wardrobes (especially at prom time).  When I really wanted to keep them out (when my sewing room was Santa's Workshop), a locked door worked, or as they got older, just a note that it's "too close to Christmas to ask questions" was sufficient.  They (and some of their friends) have learned to sew, quilt, and crochet over the years.  Sharing with the next generation...What Fun!!

angelarae63 wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 6:41 AM

Hi Sarah:)

I have a 9 'hole' cubby for my yarns. It is a $100 piece of furniture we bought at Big Lots, but the style is cute and it works great.  The cubbies are large enough for fabric bins and that's where I keep all my yarns, project bags and notions. You are so lucky to have a room for your crafting. I just have a corner of our living room! I love it, though!

Enjoy!

Angie Whisnant

LuC wrote
on Mar 22, 2011 3:04 PM

Have you been keeping up wiht Maggie Weldon's dishcloths?  She had an interesting way to display them.  Looked like 3 rows of clothsline tacked up to white wall with the potholders clipped to it.  It added alot of color to a boring wall.

jroberts123 wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 7:01 PM

The great thing about attics is that sometimes they have exposed beams and studs.  No guesswork when trying to find the right spot to hang something, or you may have ready made cubbies at your fingertips.  You could keep the charm of the attic feel and use nesting trunks for storage.  Antique hutches, fruit and veggie crates etc.  I have an old cast iron day bed that is dismantled and the frame pieces are used to hang baskets .  My favorite yarn holder is an old grocery scale (see pics on my profile) .  Ladders make great places to hang basket from, or permanently attach bins to the rungs.  Of course dust is always a problem unless you use the yarn faster than the dust falls.  Enjoy your new space!