Where Do You Crochet?

Mar 20, 2009

March 1 Blog ImageHi! I am so excited to begin blogging on CrochetMe and sharing my adventures in crochet with you. I have been crocheting for about 15 years, first teaching myself to crochet while sitting in my parent's living room. My mother is a very competent knitter, but she has never quite been able to wrap her brain around the freeform nature of crochet. Maybe one day I will be able to teach her. I keep trying. The infinite possibilities and infinite number of new things to try and learn that crochet provides has quickly become apparent to me, and I love searching for a new stitch or technique to try. I look for every opportunity to crochet and have found myself crocheting in a variety of interesting, and some might say unusual, locations. I have crocheted many times in moving vehicles, waiting rooms, bus stops, while walking from one room to another, and at a coalmine. Now I find that a fair bit of my crochet time is found at work. Yes, that is correct, at work. Interweave is a very special place to work. Like most companies we have our fair share of meetings, but our meeting may not look like the average conference. We have the requisite long table, projector, pads and paper, handouts, etc. But one look down that long table will reveal the difference. Bins of tiny, glittering seed beads, beautiful skeins of luscious fibers, knitting needles, and crochet hooks flash as many of those in attendance work on their latest project. I completed the Schoolmarm Vest from the Winter 2007 issue of Interweave Crochet while in company meetings.

My brain works better if I have something to keep my hands busy. Maybe that's why I taught myself to crochet. One thing is certain, whether sitting in a waiting room, at a bus stop, or in a meeting my hands will always have plenty to keep themselves busy. So, where do you crochet? I am looking forward to getting to know you, so please feel free to comment on my blogs or send me a message.

Toni Rexroat

Assistant Editor, Interweave Crochet

Filed under: ,

Comments

LorenaM@2 wrote
on Mar 20, 2009 11:41 AM

<p>I have the same vest in purple! looks good! </p>

Kiba wrote
on Mar 20, 2009 12:07 PM

<p>I am a teacher and I often crochet in faculty meetings.  I also perform in community theatre and have been known to crochet backstage.</p>

Kim Werker wrote
on Mar 20, 2009 12:37 PM

<p>Toni, your vest looks amazing! I'm so excited to see it completed.</p>

<p>As for odd places I've crocheted... Hm. Maybe not so odd. But certainly on all modes of transportation, at movies, and once or twice at parties. ;)</p>

<p style="font-size: 9pt; color: #999; font-style: italic;"><a href="http://www.kimwerker.com" target="_blank">www.kimwerker.com</a>!</p>

debber wrote
on Mar 29, 2009 12:10 PM

Toni,<br />

I crochet when waiting for an appointment,<br />

my LYS, actually, anywhere I want.<br />

Also, I crocheted at the Lisle Inn, Lisle, NY<p>back in the day.</p>

on Apr 8, 2009 2:41 PM

I just read an article written by the BBC in which they referenced a 98-year-old woman who was rescued from her house in L'Aquila, Italy. She was trapped, because of the earthquake, for 30 hours and so spent the time crocheting!<p>news.bbc.co.uk/.../p>

grandmajan wrote
on Apr 27, 2009 8:08 PM

<p>Hi, I just joined CrochetMe. I was taught to crochet at the age of 11 by my grandmother. I am now a grandmother myself, so it has been many years that I have enjoyed crocheting. I crochet just about anywhere,doctor's waiting rooms, church socials, you name it. My youngest son was into all kinds of sports as a boy and I would always have some project I was working on. I have also known the frustration of losing a crochet hook under the bleachers and learned to take at least two backups. Sadly, I am the only member of my family to enjoy this pastime; none of my sisters, sisters-in-law, mother,or daughters have wanted to learn this wonderful art. I sure get a lot of calls for handmade articles, blankets, and afghans, mostly. I hope to teach my little granddaughters when they get older, the oldest ones are two.Crocheting is something very special to me, it has really calmed me down at times and helped relieve a lot of stress.</p>

carmiegirl wrote
on Mar 14, 2011 10:23 AM

My aunt taught me crochet when I was 10 or 11 years old. I'm 63 now, so that's over 50 years of crocheting! Every time I crochet, I have fond thoughts of my aunt who passed away not too long after that. I like patterns that are somewhat challenging as I get bored easily. If they are too simple, I just put them down and look at them once in a while. As for where I crochet--just about anywhere where I can sit. On my lanai, on the couch watching TV, seated edge of bed watching TV, doctor's office and together with friends. We have a group called "Yarners". It's for any type of yarn work--crochet, knit, weaving, etc. We meet once a week for about 2 hrs. Sometimes there are over 25 people. We meet in our community center. Picture 25 people sitting around all talking at the same time working on just about any type of yarn project. Of course, I save those simple, boring projects for this so I don't have to think while trying to follow 20 different conversations at once! LOL

Thanks for reading,