My UFO Basket

Jun 11, 2009

Have you ever found a pattern that instantly intrigued you? You immediately set about finding the perfect yarn in the perfect shade, and you could just envision the completed project. Settled into the perfect crocheting location, you dug through your hook case for the proper size hook. But the hook wasn't there. I know I have at least 2 hooks in each size, so I hate when that happens. Invariably I realize where the absent hook is, languishing with one unfinished project or other in my UFO basket. I'm not sure how many UFOs I have accumulated but I would venture a guess you could count them on both hands, well maybe both hands of two people. How do they accumulate so quickly? Why does a project end up in the UFO basket? When I conceived the idea for this blog the other day, I had a plan. And it was the perfect plan. I have a beautiful summer top in my UFO basket. All it lacks are a couple of short, flirty sleeves, weaving in a few loose ends, and blocking. This blog would give me the motivation to finish the top and write a short piece on finishing a UFO.
UFO
But when I found myself with an hour to kill yesterday and a hook, ball of rich burnt orange yarn, and a quick pattern handy, I couldn't resist. The delicate summer top has moved to the top of the UFO basket, but if I pick it up I will merely replace it with a different UFO. So what pushes a project into the black abyss of the UFO basket? Maybe a project is pushed aside when something new catches my eye, that particular project simply isn't handy and I simply HAVE to crochet, or the project is out of season or I fear it will no long fit me well. Perhaps it doesn't matter why a project sits in my UFO basket. How do I get it out of the basket into my closet? Have you found any good motivators or do you also suffer from severe UFOitis?

~Toni Rexorat

Filed under: ,

Comments

Renecia wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 4:34 PM

<p>When I really get overwhelmed and guilt ridden with my UFOs I set aside a finishing month.  It's a very strict diet of abstaining from any new projects until I've completed at least two of my items.  Then I reward myself the next month by starting at least three more. With this method, I'm always guaranteed to have unfinished projects, but who's counting.  We weren't meant to be monogamous.</p>

margie38572 wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 9:34 PM

<p>Years ago I read an article about what kind of crafter am I.  Am I more interested in the process of creating something? Or am I more interested in holding the finished object in my hands and being able to enjoy using it.  Then the article continued on about which mindset is more productive and so on.  At that time I was more process oriented that finished project oriented.  I truly enjoyed working a new stitch but I would get tired of it or get distracted by some other stitch pattern that caught my eye.  After reading the article which pointed out that process oriented people may not always be the most  productive, I became determined to change my orientation.  One way that helped me was to reward myself whenever I finished something.  Often the reward was that distracting new stitch to try out or it was buying a new crochet book.  But the best reward in the long run was getting used to holding that finished object in my hands and knowing that I had succeeded in breaking what I felt was a bad habit and a waste of my time.   </p>

arianabeads wrote
on Jul 16, 2009 6:55 PM

<p>Where can I get a pattern of that green sweater? I love it!!</p>

Sally@35 wrote
on Aug 4, 2009 10:30 PM

<p>I work on several projects ....during the day.  When I am alert and clear minded I work on something that requires a new skill.  When I have a lazy mindset I work on something simple and repetitious. I also allow time to work on a project from the UFO box. Having several projects going on at the same time keeps my interest up and makes me productive.</p>

pure wrote
on Aug 9, 2010 1:49 PM

I wanted to learn how to convert the neckline of a pattern from, lets say, rounded to a V-neck.  Is there any formula to do this?

on Aug 9, 2010 2:56 PM

This pattern is the Babydoll Dress by Amy O'Neill Houck. You can find it in Crochet Me: Designs to Fuel the Crochet Revolution or in Interweave Crochet Spring 2008.

There is no formula for altering the neckline and the side to side construction makes it a little bit more difficult. You could try working more stitches closer to the shoulders and gradually decreasing the number of stitches worked as you near the center of the neckline finally ending with the same number of stitches worked for the neckline as the pattern calls for.