No Scissors...Now What

Jan 20, 2010

I imagine we have all been there. You sit down in a quaint coffee shop or bookstore, pull out your latest crochet project, and relax as the yarn slides through your fingers and the project forms before your eyes. But as you reach for your scissors to fasten off, you realize they are in another bag or sitting on your counter back home.

This same predicament befell me a few weeks ago as I sat in a meeting. The amigurumi project I was working on,Funky Stuffed Toys from Getting Started Crochet, required frequent color changes and a quick perusal of my bag refused to reveal the glint of a pair of scissors. I glanced to my left and to my right. The person on my right was embroidering and the person on my left was knitting a single color scarf. I knew I could lean over and quietly send a whispered plea for a pair of scissors, but I didn't want to distract anyone from the speaker. Unwilling to simply stop crocheting I stared at my project. Perhaps the solution would suddenly come to me.

As the color changes all occurred on the same edge of the piece I didn't want to carry the yarn and bulk up that edge. And while I could have worked over the unused yarn I didn't want to add the slight increase in height this would give the piece. Instead I created inordinately long carries that could later be cut in half and woven into the fabric.

This little trick worked for the color changes, but what about when I needed to begin an entirely different piece. That one puzzled me for a short while longer. With not better ideas coming to mind, I created a long, decidedly loose chain before beginning the tighter, evener chains to begin the next piece. The loose chain could be cut later and unraveled before weaving in the loose ends.

My mother always said necessity was the mother of invention and these tricks worked well in the absence of scissors. What tricks have you found or do you manage to keep your scissors handier?

Featured Product

Getting Started Crochet

Availability: Out Of Stock
Was: $16.95
Sale: $8.48

Hardcover

Want to make the crochet pieces you're seeing everywhere, but don't know how to get going? Getting Started Crochet was designed for the total beginner.

Comments

phillygirl64 wrote
on Jan 20, 2010 7:26 PM

I have a pair of scissors in my project bag-it stays in the zippered compartment...I also have a pair on a lanyard that I can put around my neck...I also have a nail clipper on my keys if I don't have anything else with me

val_tricot wrote
on Jan 21, 2010 2:45 AM

for the 2 different pieces, you can also just pull the ball thought the last loop, leave a long pice of yarn, and start chaning for the next piece.

that's what I do for swatching when i want to try several hook sizes. it works well.

val_tricot wrote
on Jan 21, 2010 2:45 AM

kahdosh wrote
on Jan 21, 2010 7:15 AM

I have used my car keys to cut the yarn.......it works when you are in a pinch.

Meg Bader wrote
on Jan 21, 2010 8:01 AM

I have found that an emry board works well for fine yarn.  A nail clipper works for any yarn.

EvelynneM wrote
on Jan 21, 2010 8:39 AM

I have also used nail clippers to cut thread.  I usually can find a pair in the bottom of my bag.

JenniferS@2 wrote
on Jan 22, 2010 11:43 AM

I have one of those round thread/yarn cutters on my key chain with my keys.  Since I pretty much always have my keys when I'm not at home, I always have a cutter!

lovenonna wrote
on Jan 22, 2010 1:41 PM

A great idea for airplane travel, as I have unwittingly forgotten i had my scissors and had them confiscated!

bonbon78 wrote
on Jan 22, 2010 11:07 PM

Yes, I have encountered the same predicaments too!  Especially as I crochet while I commute.

I do the long carries too.

jonboy1987 wrote
on Jan 23, 2010 5:54 AM

i have a special pair of scissors that stay in the compartment of my project bag. it also helps to do an inventory of your bag before you go out "stitch markers? check! scissors? Check! hooks? check!.." you get the idea.

oh and of course the crucial bit. "do i have the right yarn?"

Paigeone wrote
on Jan 23, 2010 12:30 PM

Sounds like a great tip.  Thanks for sharing.

moreta wrote
on Jan 23, 2010 6:12 PM

I don't always have scissors with me, but I always have a little bitty pocket knife in my purse.  It has come in handy more times than I can count, both for my needlework, and at work.

Dorothy@6 wrote
on Jan 25, 2010 12:11 PM

Smart idea when you forget your scissors!  Many thanks.

JudySajewski wrote
on Jan 25, 2010 1:40 PM

If I were to forget my scissors, I'd have the backup pair I ALWAYS carry in my purse.  Remember those teeny folding scissors?  Not very sharp, but extremely welcome when needed.  :o)

SusieWats wrote
on Jan 27, 2010 1:54 PM

these are so cute!!

pppaz2 wrote
on Jan 27, 2010 7:51 PM

I save a few empty dental floss containers and keep them specifically for this purpose.  the blade works great, it's compact, comes with a built in lid to cover up the blade, you never have to worry about when going through the security screening at the airport, and hey - you're reycling!  you can decorate the outside if you don't like the look of the container.

on Feb 1, 2010 10:23 AM

The dental floss box is a fabulous idea! Plus I know that the top, where the blade is, pops open on mine. What a perfect place to keep stitch markers or a small yarn needle.

on Apr 5, 2010 2:36 PM

Great Ideas!  I'm forever forgetting my scissors!

susie33 wrote
on Apr 6, 2010 1:57 PM

brilliant idea!

FlDebra wrote
on May 10, 2010 10:07 PM

I bought a couple of these Graphic Impressions Itty Bitty Scissors:  www.joann.com/.../productdetail.jsp -- best $4 I ever spent.  The cover keeps the sharp end safely tucked away and you can keep it on your key chain, or on a lanyard to wear while you crochet/knit.  It is only about an inch total!

They also make yarn cutter pendents that you can wear on a necklace.  I even saw one made into a ring!

ShaggyChic wrote
on Sep 13, 2010 5:13 PM

LOVE the dental floss box idea! May decorate a bunch and give those out to friends! I have the little folding scissors that have a little hole in them above one of the finger holes. Got one of those retractable badge lanyards, attach to inside of bag so scissors CAN'T escape. When  needed, reel them out, and when done, retract back in. Because I AM the Queen of  All Lost Things. Probably should put my knitting needles on leashes too!

xionfairy wrote
on Sep 16, 2010 12:21 AM

theres ones like pendents that act like scissors except more like a sharp round blade around it. :)

Nurianna wrote
on Dec 17, 2010 7:38 AM

When I am working small pieces like YoYos I finish off the yoyo and pull extra yarn through the last chain as I would if I was cutting it off. Take that loop and tie a simple loose knot to hold the yarn from unraveling the item.  move up your yarn a bit and start a new item, you'll have a string of them later with enough yarn to weave in your ends..

A  loose knot in the chain also works if you have to put down a project and are concerned that someone/thing will move or mess with it, prevents raveling~

Also, for years I have been using a smaller crochet hook to weave in my ends on a finished piece.. now I carry a plastic canvas blunted needle.. works fantastic and I dont get the bunching that sometimes happens when you rehook a stitch~

Nurianna~ crafty with yarn, wicked with paint~

on Aug 23, 2011 5:01 PM

Taking a crochet project along on a long trip is a great way to keep busy during travel time or spend

AdeleM@2 wrote
on May 4, 2012 4:15 PM

No scissors ... now what!

Just read this post from February  (I was looking for this month's 2012 calendar free crochet animal pattern but couldn't find it!)

I bought myself a "medallion" that has a blade inserted round the edge, made especially for crafters. You can't cut or catch your fingers on the blade, you can hardly see it. If the medallion is put on a chain you could even wear it on a plane! It's been really useful & looks like a piece of jewellery. I think it's called a thread cutter by Clover.

Regards, Adele