Preventing the Twist: Working with Two Colors

Mar 11, 2010

If you have ever worked a project in more than one color without fastening of, you know how quickly your yarns will twist around each other and how frustrating that twisting can become. If you are new to crochet colorwork, hopefully we will be able to save you the angst. Here I am working the Lotus Circle motif from the Harmony Guides: Crochet Stitch Motifs.

When you are working with 2 colors one yarn ball will always be in front of the other ball. It doesn't matter which color you have in front. I worked with the green ball closer to me and the pink ball behind the green ball or farther away from me.

When changing colors in the middle of the round from the green yarn to the pink yarn, wrap the pink yarn (or yarn farthest away from you) over the top of the green yarn (or yarn closet to you) capturing the green yarn between the yarn over and the project.

When changing back to the yarn closest to you, do not wrap the yarn around the pink yarn (or yarn farthest from you). Simply drop the pink yarn, yarn over with the green yarn, and continue working in single crochet over the top of the pink yarn.

Now you can spend more time crocheting and less time untangling your yarn. If you have tips for working with multiple colors share them in the comments section below.

Featured Product

Crochet Stitch Motifs

Availability: Out Of Stock
Was: $22.95
Sale: $11.48

Paperback

Harmony Guide: Crochet Stitch Motifs is a jam-packed collection brimming with 250 crochet motifs to inspire beginner and seasoned crocheters.

Comments

cdthomas wrote
on Mar 11, 2010 10:21 AM

Could you make those pictures enlargeable? I'm still trying to see what happens at the round-level.

chupie wrote
on Mar 11, 2010 10:54 PM

I can't really see these pics. Are there larger versions? I work this way all the time but deal with the twist and am looking for a better way.

JacquieKeen wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 7:36 AM

You asked for suggestions on what to use the swatch for? It reminded me of watermelon slices!! I also quilt - so I saw it as a wonderful center focal point for a spring table throw. Or stopping at a 6" diameter and making more, perhaps in half slices or quarter slices, with seeds!!!

on Mar 12, 2010 9:43 AM

Okay, the pictures are now enlargeable. Just click on the image for an enlarged version.

JacquieKeen, I never thought of watermelons before. What a wonderful idea.

Debquilt wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 9:37 AM

I haven't tried this, but so it may be apparent when it's worked, but how do you crochet over the color you aren't using? Will the color show through the loops?

Thanks for showing how to change colors.  I had one project that called for a color change and I couldn't figure out what to do so I used variegated yarn!  But that won't work for every project, so this is helpful.

on Mar 13, 2010 9:17 PM

Debquilt, just lay the unused yarn across the top of the stitches of the round or row and crochet over the top of them as they lay on top of the stitches you work into. Unless you are using a really loose gauge the color you work over should not show through the stitches. Grab a couple of colors and crochet up a motif or swatch! New techniques are always fun to play with, especially on a small scale.

JanisP wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 5:18 PM

Best and easiest explanation I have ever seen. I GET it. Thanks!

JanisP

rosita09 wrote
on Jun 20, 2010 7:00 PM

hi im new to this site. I was wonding and hopeing you can help me in something i am trying to make for a family member?

on Jun 21, 2010 8:28 AM

rosita09, I would love to help you. What kind of a project are you working on and what seems to be the difficulty?

lbauldree wrote
on Aug 10, 2010 7:57 AM

What if you are working with more than 2 colors?

wimi wrote
on Feb 22, 2012 11:38 AM

Thanks for the tip! Any chance you can share that pattern too? It's supper pretty.

on Feb 22, 2012 12:46 PM

Hi wimi,

Thank you. This is a really fun pattern. You can find the motif int he Harmony Guides: Crochet Stitch Motifs.

www.interweavestore.com/.../Crochet-Stitch-Motifs.html