Too Bright or Just Right?

Dec 17, 2011

While compiling the Simple Crochet Patterns from Crochet Me: 5 Free Easy Crochet Patterns eBook, I fell in love with the Organic Cotton Washcloth for Babies. It looked so simple and quick but at the same time luxurious and pampered; the perfect last minute gift. Somehow I missed the potholder and washcloth stage when I was learning how to crochet, so this would be a new adventure for me.

Now I think I might have been missing something jumping straight into lace crochet. I love the slightly nubby feel of the stitches and the softness of the organic cotton in this washcloth. I keep stopping mid-row to rub the fabric against my cheek. And the pattern is fun and easily memorized.

I am down to the last two rows. The original washcloth used a subtle tan, but I found a fun bright yellow in my stash. A row and a half in and I'm starting to doubt my choice. The yellow is very bright. It could be too much, or with the addition of a little rubber ducky, it could be a fabulously fun baby shower gift.

What do you think?

Comments

onehuskergal wrote
on Dec 17, 2011 10:05 AM

I love the contrast, keep going with the yellow.

jjennifer143 wrote
on Dec 17, 2011 11:35 AM

I think the yellow is perfect too.  I like your idea about paring it with a ducky.  I'm also channeling bumblebees here; a little bee embellishment in the corner, and/or a single row of black all around the edge?  What a great gift!  I too got into washcloths "out of sequence" and have REALLY enjoyed making them out of hemp (hemp4knitting) because they get so soft as you continue to wash and use them!

becca8688 wrote
on Dec 17, 2011 11:47 AM

I think it looks great!!!

tlhgillikin wrote
on Dec 17, 2011 12:12 PM

Looks Great!!

McSassy wrote
on Dec 17, 2011 12:57 PM

"Bright yellow cotton" is one of those items that should go in the song "My Favorite Things" -- it looks lovely paired with crisp white. Also beautiful with baby blue or green.

Haley P wrote
on Dec 18, 2011 8:41 PM

I like the yellow, it looks adorable with the white, and it gives it a fun, playful look to it. I say stick with the yellow!

janelmc wrote
on Dec 19, 2011 3:55 PM

The yellow looks great - a nice, happy color.  :-)

ashcrash wrote
on Dec 21, 2011 4:11 PM

I also loved the texture of these washcloths.  I ended up making a bunch of them to put in my coworkers stockings.  I ended up using bright colors and some self striping cotton on some.  I think that the bright colors are wonderful, and if you give them to a baby the brighter the color the more stimulating for their little mind!

on Dec 21, 2011 4:14 PM

Thank you all for your feedback! I am definitely sticking with the bright yellow. Jjennifer143, I love your idea of the little bee embellishment!

on Jul 15, 2013 7:59 PM

I really like the organic washcloth idea for babies but that requires an organic yarn too, right? Where can we get organic yarns? And are there a variety to choose from. <a href="http://www.bgns.org" rel="follow">BGNS</a>