Tunisian Crochet in the Round

This post has 34 Replies | 18 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Sveika wrote
on Apr 10, 2010 12:15 PM

Last December I cut-and-pasted your original description, January 2008, from Crochetme.com. I tried e-mailing you a copy, but am posting here, too, in case I misinterpreted the boxeldergrove address.

To all the folks here with interest in Tunisian, I highly recommend tunisiancrochet at Yahoo groups. There are albums there with all sorts of good work, links to instructional videos, and all such goodies. I've posted pictures at that Yahoo groups site (in an album named Sveika) with mittens, socks, sweaters, purselet, hat, etc.: both finished and works in progress.

This is a great technique, with vast possibilities for playing with color and texture without having to attach and drop yarns.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
gloria1416 wrote
on Apr 10, 2010 1:13 PM

I would like to use your instrutions  to tunisian in the round    thank you gloria  email  jimglo16@aol.com

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Walk wrote
on Apr 13, 2010 8:31 AM

There is a video of the tunisian crochet in the round technique on YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQfp88HI2WY

This video was made by the Clover company that sells the double-ended hooks.  This is the technique I've been working with all along, and their video makes this easier to understand than using my written directions only.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ibsherry8016 wrote
on Jun 30, 2010 6:55 AM

I would absolutely love to get the full instructions on tunisian in the round!  i had never heard of it - but it sounds awsome!  thank you

Sherry

ibsherry8016@yahoo.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Sep 30, 2010 5:39 PM

I would love to learn how to do Tunisian crochet in the round.  I see your post was more than two years ago, so I'm hoping you're still around.  Thank you in advance. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Sveika wrote
on Sep 30, 2010 8:29 PM

I'm definitely still around, and have done a lot more T in the round since my post.
It truly is a delightful technique.

The main thing to recognize is that you are working with two balls of yarn, one for the forward pass (which provides the right side of the fabric) and one for the return pass.
    The second thing to recognize is that in a circle there is no returning: both passes simply move forward. I therefore think of the return pass with the second ball of yarn as a catch-up pass.
    The third thing to recognize is that this technique requires a double-ended hook.

Summary:
(a) Prepare one base row in Tunisian, using the yarn that will be the front of the fabric.
    That is, cast on and work off loops once. There is no real stitch yet, just the framework of loops waiting.
(b) Join the ends in an untwisted circle. (Lily Chin suggests using clothespins at intervals to keep a long circle from twisting; I've tried it, pinning to a strip of paper or cloth, and it does help.)
(c) With a double-ended hook, stitch along no more than 1/3 of the length of the circle. Tunisian simple stitch will do (what Americans call the afghan stitch), but you could try any combination of other Tunisian stitches, if you like.
(d) Turn the piece. You will now be using the other end of the hook.
(e) Take up a second ball of yarn (the same color, or a different one: different color is nice for learning the technique, and can contribute to design) and work off most of the loops but not all of them. Leaving 5 or 6 loops is nice. On a small circle, you'd have to leave fewer.
(f) Turn the piece again.
(g) Work more stitches, for another 1/3 or so of the circumference.
From here on, it is a simple alternation of picking up loops in stitches with the first ball of yarn and then turning the piece to remove the loops, using the other end of the hook and the other ball of yarn.

The piece will be worked in a spiral. Repeating designs will have one place where the spiral steps. Getting vertical repeats takes some arithmetic: cast on an exact multiple of the number of stitches in a repeat. (I think that's it: maybe = exact +1. I'll try it again on a small piece. I got it right the first time by accident: see bottom-up sweater in attached file.)

Clover has come out with some video tutorials. The one I found today is better than their older videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQfp88HI2WY
They also have a project sheet, showing some examples (but their directions keep referring to other directions that come packaged with their double-ended hooks). That's at http://www.clover-usa.com/media/document/CT0071S.pdf
    Clover's hooks come in only four sizes. I've found a full range from thread-crochet 0 through size P or Q, with cables, made by Pony, available at either yarnmarket.com or knitpicks.com (I don't remember which). To learn the technique, you need only one. (I got addicted, and acquired all sizes.)

Tunisian simple stitch shows both yarn A and B.
    Knit stitch highlights mostly yarn A (with a bit of yarn B between knits, depending on gauge)
I've worked mostly with those two in combination, but purl and lace stitches could also be used.

Try joining the tunisiancrochet group at yahoo.com. Both ARNie Grabowski (chezcrochet.com) and Kim Guzman (kimguzman.com) are active there, and they are among the best teachers for Tunisian. -- I also have samples of my work at the yahoo groups pages (Sveika's album).
     I've made a file with my best samples, annotated, but I don't know how to attach to hese posts. If you can figure out how to e-mail me directly, or to send me your e-mail address, I can forward it to you. Otherwise -- do look at the album at the Yahoo Groups tunisiancrochet group.

For the summary (a-g) above, I wrote down the steps out of my head, without a piece of work in my hands. Take a look at the video tutorials too, and then let me know if anything is still confusing.

Gladly,  --GK

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Oct 2, 2010 12:20 PM

Thank you so very much for this.  Your directions are clear and very understandable; nothing confusing at all.  I am crocheting a rather large pillow cover and have several different crochet stitches in it.  I just picked up stitches from the last row of single crochet and went from there.  It looks great and with the two colors add a nice dimension to the cover.  Again, thanks. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Dsynr wrote
on Oct 15, 2010 5:55 AM

Pls send Tunisian Crochet in the Round link to me.  thanks

Dsynr_4452@Verizon.net

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Sveika wrote
on Oct 15, 2010 10:33 PM

What link are you looking for? My post from 30 September includes the two main ones I'm aware of:

"Clover has come out with some video tutorials. The one I found today is better than their older videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQfp88HI2WY
They also have a project sheet, showing some examples (but their directions keep referring to other directions that come packaged with their double-ended hooks). That's at http://www.clover-usa.com/media/document/CT0071S.pdf "

Not Ranked
Posts 1
patsie46 wrote
on Jan 24, 2011 2:11 PM

I would love to get instructions on how to do the stitches for the tunisian on any pattern  I crochet affghans buwt that is it I seen the patterns and they are beautiful please send me instructions. thanks

patsie46@yahoo.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
IsabelleA wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 8:47 AM

Hi Larisa,

Since learning Tunisian crochet I am really "hooked" but want to be able to do projects in the round and have not been able to find anything on that method. So, please when you have a chance send me your instructions on the "new technique" that you have invented. Thanks in advance for getting me this information as I will definately be putting it to good use.

Isabelle

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
jroberts123 wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 12:30 PM

They have a tunisian crochet in the round video on this website that has totally inspired me.   Toni Rexroat suggested it when we were trying to find videos on "crochet on the double".   I had no idea that tunisian could be done in the round.  Can't wait to stop making blankets and try my hand at some stretchy socks or hats.Check it out under the video tab under Crochet Techniques...look for "Tunisian double..."  posted Mar.11

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Gayle Perry wrote
on Apr 28, 2011 3:26 PM

Hello Larisa,

Yes, I would be very interested in your seamless Tunisian crochet in the round method. Thank You

Gayle Perry

Not Ranked
Posts 1
annenaomi wrote
on May 7, 2011 12:40 PM

I would love a set of instructions and any patterns you can spare.  I just discovered tunisian in the round, and would love some tips!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 44
RichardRose wrote
on May 8, 2011 4:53 PM

I'm always interested in learning something new and finding new patterns so I've joined the group on yahoo. Hope to be able to contribute soon.

Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS