Fall 2006 Reviews & Stuff

This post has 0 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 818
on Sep 15, 2006 9:20 AM
Get Hooked: Simple Steps To Crochet Cool StuffGet Hooked
by Kim Werker
Watson-Guptill

I wrote this book, so clearly I can't give it a objective proper review. So here's a little about what you'll get:

• 15 original, fab patterns designed with beginners and teens in mind (check out this page for a list of the Crochet Me designers whose work is featured!)

• A full-colour photo tutorial covering all the basic crochet stitches and techniques

• The cutest, most awesome illustrations, ever.

• It's a party in 96 pages, come to think of it.

Paperback,
96 pages
$11.95US
Available at Powells.com

Amazing Crochet LaceAmazing Crochet Lace
by Doris Chan
Crown Publishing

If you've picked up any crochet magazine lately you've seen the work of Doris Chan. One of the most prolific designers out there, her designs are straightforward, eye-catching, and oh-so-very tempting. Amazing Crochet Lace contains 20 patterns inspired by vintage lace and updated into a gorgeous array of contemporary designs. And by "contemporary" I don't mean easy listening. I mean awesome. The book is infused with Doris's personality and she explains the theories and techniques behind her designs. If you haven't had the pleasure of meeting her in person, I encourage you to meet her through her book. Not only will you like her immensely, you'll see crochet in a whole new light that might just change the way you approach your craft.

Paperback
144 pages
$21.95US
Available at Powells.com

The Crocheter's Handy Guide To Yarn Requirements
by Ann Budd
Interweave Press

Ever stand in line at the till of your local yarn store and pick up that nifty-looking, pamphlet that helps knitters figure out how much yarn to buy? Ever follow it for your crochet project, figuring you'd make do with the knitting-based estimates? Yeah. Not a good idea. Thankfully, the masterminds at Interweave Press have added a guide for crocheters to their roster of helpful pubs, so the next time you're in a bind to figure out how much yarn you need - give or take about 10% - you'll have an easy-to-use, laminated guide to help. The estimates (for hats, scarves, vests, afghans, and more [but disappointingly not for full sweaters]), are based on single crochet, but information is given to adjust for half double, double, and treble crochet-based patterns. Keep in mind, of course, that you're on your own to adjust for lace patterns, but this pamphlet provides an invaluable starting point.

Paperback
144 pages
$5.95US
Available at interweave.com

Knitters', Crocheters', Weavers', & Spinners' Travel Guide 2006
Direction Press

This is every road-tripping yarn addict's dream: A map with yarn stores marked. Take a second to let the beauty of that sink in.

The 2006 Travel Guide includes LYS listings (with contact information) for all 50 states, with a full-page map for each one. Oh, MAN, it makes me want to hit the road. (Wait a minute -- I am! Come say hi...)

Paperback
374 pages
$15.95US
Available from Direction Press

Lexie Barns Flo BagFlo Bag
Lexie Barnes

I've been using this bag as a purse and to schlep around my on-the-hook one-skein project. It holds everything: the project, my wallet, sunglasses, cell phone, hooks, notions, and a rolled-up magazine. Plus, I meet all sorts of people when they stop me to compliment my bag. In fact, my husband was accosted by shoppers recently when he stood holding it for me while I was in the fitting room of a clothing store. Need I say more? Oh, no, I needn't. Lexie's bags speak for themselves.

$85.00US
Available at lexiebarnes.com

Della Q Crochet Accessories
Della Q

Della Q Crochet Accessories 

Just like Cecily wrote in her article, Della Q invokes inspiration. So you can imagine how stoked I was when she told me she's adding crochet accessories to her line of gorgeous silk project bags and purses. Made of silk, these accessories are a luxury to use. The hook case holds a good number of hooks and has a zippered compartment for small notions. For larger notions (or even just to carry as a simple clutch), the stand-alone zippered pouch can't be beat. It's large enough to hold just about anything, and the sturdy interfacing means it will last forever. Finally, for days you need to feel a little more sophisticated than you do when you tote your projects along in zip-close plastic bags, the oh-so-affordably-priced drawstring pouch holds a huge ball of yarn and doesn't make that crackling sound when you pull your yarn out of it.

Various
See dellaq.com for retailers

Bella Blue HooksBella Blue Leopard Print Crochet Hooks
Bella Blue

Oh, my, the kitsch value of these hooks is staggering. Available in US sizes H-M, they'd make a great gift for fashionista hookers everywhere, no?

See bellablue.net for retailers

Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS