Spike Stitch Introduction

This post has 13 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 818
on Jan 4, 2006 1:48 PM

I am often asked a version of the question Where do you get your ideas? and it's usually a stumper because my answer is too long. Given license, I think all designers could wax poetic about their muses.

spike stitch swatch

Practically speaking, though, one design element of crochet that fascinates me is stitch patterns. I always view them in terms of how best to show off their textures and utilize their structures. Some, like shell lace, have so many variations and are flattering in so many different yarns, that they are seen in everything from hats to afghans to sweaters.

The spike stitch is merely a single crochet placed 2 or more rows below your working row and drawn up to the height of a standard sc. A SP-2 would be a spike stitch worked 2 rows below, and a SP-4 would be one worked into the 4th row down from your working row (i.e., if you were on the 6th Row of your pattern and you were instructed to make a SP-4, you would work it into the stitch directly 4 rows below, in the 2nd Row.).

Fabric made from patterns of spike stitches is quite thick and stiff, as the spikes are worked all the way around 2 or more rows. As a result it is probably not the best stitch for a lightweight shawl or summer sweater. It is, however, well suited for household items such as pillow shams & hot pads, or accessories like purses and totes.

Spike stitches of various lengths can be used in combination with each other to create geometric patterns in your completed projects. When combined with stripes of alternating colors, the possible results are without limit. To show you what I mean, I have designed 2 patterns that use similar versions of spike stitch patterns, which yield dramatically different finished objects.

I invite you not only to use these patterns, but also to experiment with other tessellations and colors. The first pattern, for the pillow sham, can be altered for any size pillow by adjusting your gauge and/or the number of pattern repetitions. The second pattern, for an evening clutch, includes instructions for a quilted lining and shows an example made with the best yarns and notions (but it can always be dressed down). 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
funkoala51 wrote
on Sep 17, 2010 3:46 AM

I have been looking for such a cap for my 2 younger grand kids and they saw it and right away asked me to make them one. I will start it today.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
SueBraids wrote
on Sep 27, 2010 9:46 AM

This is beautiful.  It reminds me of free-form beading.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
depshado wrote
on Jan 1, 2011 9:43 AM

I am very new but excited by this pattern. Can you show us what you made with this? I am thinking a vest or cap, maybe a baby blanket. My mother and grandmother use to do this but not at this level of expertise

Not Ranked
Posts 2
depshado wrote
on Jan 1, 2011 9:47 AM

Do you have a step by step directions for this? I will buy itBig Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
trieschman wrote
on Sep 27, 2011 2:54 PM

This is beautiful. I would love to make a pillow with this stitch. I posted a link to this entry http://craft-connection.blogspot.com/2011/09/crochet-stitch.html

Not Ranked
Posts 1
crochetmeleo wrote
on Aug 10, 2012 10:56 PM

How do you get the legs of the spike stitches to remain so closed. You mention that it is a thick fabric; perhaps I need to tighten my tension? Or does it work better with a cotton type fiber? in your picture the rows behind the stitches look compressed; that's why I am focused on the tension. Reply appreciated.

Hooker Leo

Not Ranked
Posts 1
BOLLENAJ wrote
on Nov 11, 2013 9:47 AM

If you are just starting your project would you do five rows of sc before you start this stitch?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cyndyvachon wrote
on Nov 11, 2013 11:50 AM

I'm intrigued by the spike stitch and would love to try the free patterns you reference in your intro tutorial - alas, I cannot find them!  Any hints on where we might find a link to a download or some such?  Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ntbell9117 wrote
on Nov 11, 2013 1:20 PM

This stitch used to be called the Long Stitch.  Like the afghan stitch (Tunisian crochet), it now has a modern name.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ntbell9117 wrote
on Nov 11, 2013 1:22 PM

This stitch used to be called the Long Stitch.  Like the afghan stitch (now Tunisian Crochet), the Long Stitch has a new modern term.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Diann@7 wrote
on Nov 11, 2013 5:40 PM

I love the idea of an accent pillow for the couch or bed it looks so cozy.  where can I get your pattern?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JanW@39 wrote
on Nov 11, 2013 8:02 PM

Pillow pattern: http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/88568.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 1
yarnedin wrote
on Nov 13, 2013 3:00 PM

I would love to know how to make this particular pattern.  Any way I could get the pattern?  I know that it is basically a wave pattern, but do not know how to create it.  It is beautiful with the spike stitch as shown.

Kaysie - parkben24@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS