Amigurumi, Deconstructed

This post has 0 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,441
Kim Werker wrote
on Mar 13, 2006 11:37 PM

There's no one way to make amigurumi. And how. They're small and quick to make, so experiment. Experiment lots. Here are some tips you might find handy:

• Amigurumi are made in pieces – the head from the top, down; the body from the bottom, up; the arms from the hand, up; the legs from the foot, up. The head and body end with the same number of stitches so they come together seamlessly when assembled.
  • Make sure you don't leave a hole when you start your rounds. Not only will stuffing come out it, your doll will look like it has a hole in its head. The best way to make sure this doesn't happen is to use the basic or double magic ring technique.
  • I like to make my dolls without legs or a tail (which can help to prop the doll up once it's assembled). If you prefer legless dolls, too, try putting an inch or two of small, large beads, bean bag pellets, ect. in the bottom of the body before you stuff it. Just make sure what you use can't be squeezed out the stitches. This weighs the doll down and helps it stand up. This is especially important if you make a tiny body and an enormous head, even if you do use legs and a tail. Top-heavy dudes fall over.
  • I prefer to put the face on after the doll is stuffed and assembled, because only then do I have a good feel for the proportions of the doll. However, if I'm using store-bought eyes that require me to fasten them to the inside of the head, I obviously have to put them on before I stuff it. Do whatever works best for you.
  • Stuff lots. Don't skimp. When you think you've stuffed enough, stuff some more.
  • You don't have to weave in your ends. Wahoo! Everything gets hidden inside the doll. Here's what to do:
    • For the beginning tail, just keep it inside the body part.
    • If you change yarn colors, use what some erroneously call a surgeon's knot. Make a simple knot, but loop the yarn one more time before tightening – like the knot shown here. Then just hide the ends inside when you stuff.
    • For the finishing tail, make it long, and use it to sew the part on. When you're done sewing, bring the end through to the other side of the body, pull it somewhat tight, and cut. The end will get sucked back into the body, where it will remain hidden. Use this same technique to hide the ends of any embroidery you do.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS