Linked Stitch Tutorial

This post has 10 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
Robyn@6 wrote
on Nov 30, 2006 8:25 PM

Linked Stitches Tutorial

Do you like stitches that have a simple geometric pattern?  Do you like a solid fabric without extra holes?  Then linked stitches are for you.  They take the standard crochet stitches and with a simple twist give you tons of new uses.

I always think of linked stitches as half-Tunisian-half-standard crochet: instead of yarning over all at once, you yarn over after you insert the hook into the previous stitch.  By linking the stitches you get a solid fabric, but the great thing is that you don’t lose the drape.  It creates a great fabric that can be used for lots of projects where you do not want the standard holes that the taller stitches can give you.  My favorite is for kids clothes, not only do taller stitches go faster for me, but the fabric also snags less.

Directions for the Linked Treble (LTR)

Set up stitch

1. Ch any number of sts, add 4 for turning ch.

2. Insert hook into the 2nd ch from hook, yo, draw up loop.

3. Insert hook into 3rd ch from hook, yo, draw up loop.

4. Insert hook into the 5th ch from hook, yo, draw up loop - 4 loops on hook (see Fig.1)
    Fig. 1
    Fig. 1

5. Yo, draw through 2 loops on hook.

6. Yo, draw through next 2 loops.

7. Yo, draw through last 2 loops (first stitch made) (see Fig. 2).
    Fig. 2
    Fig. 2

Next Stitch

1. Insert hook into upper horizontal bar of previous stitch, yo, draw up loop (see Fig. 3).
    Fig. 3
    Fig. 3

2. Insert hook into lower horizontal bar, yo, draw up loop (see Fig. 4).
    Fig. 4
    Fig. 4

3. J  Insert hook into next ch, yo, draw up loop, (4 loops on hook).
    Fig. 5
    Fig. 5

4. Yo, draw through 2 loops on hook.

5. Yo, draw through next 2 loops.

6. Yo, draw through last 2 loops (see Fig. 6).
    Fig. 6
    Fig. 6

7. Continue stitches as above to end of row, ch 4, turn.

Set up stitch next row

1. Insert hook into the 2nd ch from hook, yo, draw up loop (see Fig. 7).
    Fig. 7
    Fig. 7

2. P  Insert hook into 3rd ch from hook, yo, draw up loop (see Fig. 8).
    Fig. 8
    Fig. 8

3. Insert hook into the next st from hook (note: the top of the last st of the previous row does not count as a st), yo, draw up loop (4 loops on hook) (see Fig. 9).
    Fig. 9
    Fig. 9

4. Yo, draw through 2 loops on hook.

5. Yo, draw through next 2 loops.

6. Yo, draw through last 2 loops (first stitch made) (see Fig. 10).
    Fig. 10
    Fig. 10

Following Stitches

1. Follow steps under "Next Stitch" section, above.

2. Continue stitches as directed to end of row, ch 4, turn.

Swatches

Linked trebles in each row

Linked trebles each row. Notice how the horizontal bars on the first row show prominently and are hidden on the setup row.

Linked trebles with alternating rows of single crochet flo
Linked trebles on the right side and Single crochet front-loop on the back side.  Same stitch pattern as Summit Hill Vest.

Robyn

crochet by faye

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Adnissi2 wrote
on May 18, 2010 9:18 AM

Hi, Robyn,

Is there a reason why the pictures don't show up? Thinking it might just be my computer acting cute, I went to the previous post and have no trouble receiving pictures there.

Thanks,

Sandi

Not Ranked
Posts 5
karlia wrote
on May 18, 2010 3:33 PM

Funny thing.  I looked at this today, same day as Adnissi2, and I could not see the pictures either.  I wonder if something was lost since this was first posted.  Thanks,

Karli

Not Ranked
Posts 4
anneikenbary wrote
on Jul 19, 2010 12:18 PM

Pictures here don't show up on my computer either, but no problem because I've known how to make 'linked' stitches for years; however, I've always called them united stitches:  udc for united double crochet, and utr for united treble.  I think its better than calling them 'linked' stitches or 'joined' stitches because the 'L' could stand for long and the 'joined' could confuse someone thinking they were suppose to join a row or join with a sl st.  So I prefer using the udc as it's more readily recognized and I don't know of any other stitches that use the letter 'u'.  Georgiann Eikenbary, designer,  aka My Crochet Cellar  (Would like to have some feedback from anyone who crochets regarding my name for this stitch.  Thanks.)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
sharon.long wrote
on Sep 30, 2010 7:27 AM

I have never heard of united stitches and I have been crocheting for years. Maybe it is a regional thing?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
anneikenbary wrote
on Sep 30, 2010 11:55 AM

It's not a regional thing.  It's just a name I called these types of stitches long ago.  I learned to crochet when I was six, and I'm 69 now.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Karakaknit wrote
on Feb 24, 2011 2:37 PM

Hi,   I am having trouble getting the photos to go with this Linked Stitch Tutorial.  How do I go about seeing the photos,  Please help. 

Thanks Laurel NZ 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Karakaknit wrote
on Feb 24, 2011 2:38 PM

Hi,   I am having trouble getting the photos to go with this Linked Stitch Tutorial.  How do I go about seeing the photos,  Please help. 

Thanks Laurel NZ 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
j t b wrote
on Jul 26, 2011 10:00 AM

Is there any way to get the pictures reset? I would love to learn this, I read the instructions given in the latest newsletter but I need to see a picture of the 2nd row start please.

thanks! Joyce

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
Robyn@6 wrote
on Dec 15, 2011 9:49 AM

I'm not quite sure why the pictures are no longer showing up.  Here is a link to my flickr set that has the original pictures I used for this tutorial.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/crochetbyfaye/sets/72157594368465488/

Robyn

crochet by faye

Not Ranked
Posts 7
mgrant7209 wrote
on May 3, 2014 4:31 PM

Where are the figures for this post?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS