The Magic Adjustable Ring: A Better Way to Begin Crochet in the Round

This post has 94 Replies | 45 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
yarntomato wrote
on Dec 23, 2005 1:32 PM

Have you ever fought and struggled and ripped and re-ripped both your yarn and hair, trying to make your starting round neat and tidy with a center hole as small as possible? Of course you have. And maybe, just maybe, that unsightly center hole has even kept you from crocheting in the round at all. Well, no more. Now you will be armed with the trusty (some might even say magic) adjustable ring and you will be dancing circles around those circles.

Be forewarned—once you have made an adjustable ring, you will never be the same. You may never go back to other ways of making a ring. I know I haven’t. There are a lot of photos. But don’t worry; you’ll be sailing through this in no time. For the sake of knowledge (we can never have too much of that, can we?) I will also show you the two more commonly known ways of starting a round, first, joining a chain to form a ring, and second, crocheting into the first chain.

This tutorial assumes you know how to chain, slip stitch, and double crochet. For demonstration purposes, each of these three beginning rounds has 15 dcs worked into the center, plus the first ch-3 (which counts as the first dc) equals 16 dc.

US pattern notations used.

Adjustable Ring

Make a large loop by putting the yarn tail behind the working yarn (the yarn coming from the skein) (Figures 1-2), leaving at least a six-inch tail until you become familiar with this method (Figure 3). Later, you may leave a shorter tail if desired.

2   3

With your hook, draw the working yarn through the loop, so you have one loop on the hook (Figures 4-6).

4   5

Ch 3 (counts as first dc) (Figure 7).

8How you hold the loop while you work the stitches into it is personal preference, but I find it convenient to put both my pinky and ring finger inside the loop to hold it tight (Figure 8.)

Dc into the loop, crocheting over the tail (Figure 9). 9Continue to work as many dcs as needed for you pattern into the loop. (Don’t forget to keep crocheting over the tail.) When you are finished working stitches into the loop, you will likely find that the tail has curled around the loop a few times (Figure 10). To make it easier to draw the loop closed, first untwist the tail (Figure 11); then pull the tail to draw the loop closed. You can leave an open hole in the center (Figure 12) or draw it closed very tightly (Figure 13).

10   11

12   13

Joining a Chain to Form a Ring

Ch 4 (Figure 1). Join to fourth ch from hook (the first ch made) with a sl st to form a ring (Figure 2). Ch 3 (counts as first dc) (Figure 3). Dc into ring (Figure 4). Continue to work as many dcs as needed for your pattern into the ring (Figure 5). Join with a sl st into the third ch of the ch-3.

12   3

4   5

Crocheting into the First Chain

Ch 4 (chs 2-4 count as first dc) (Figure 1). Dc into the fourth ch from hook (the first ch made) (Figures 2-3). Continue to work as many dcs as needed for your pattern into the same ch (Figure 4). Join with a sl st into the fourth ch of the ch-4.

1   2

3   4

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Dimsware wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 5:43 PM

Hi Donna - I've just joined today. Your tutorial looks like a very valuable one, but none of the pictures come up. Is it possible to relink them, or do you have it as an MS Word document or PDF file? I found it because a Ravelry person mentioned it. I'd be grateful for any info.

Regards,

Linda "K"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 33
crochet7 wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 7:11 PM

Thank you for the information Donna.   I am with Linda “K”, the pictures did not come through.  Can you try to send again?  Thanks!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
robillm2 wrote
on Jan 26, 2010 3:32 PM

Donna--I have just joined today! I would love to know the magic circle method, but alas, I am a picture gal and your pics haven't come through. Thanks for your tips and help!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
karens53 wrote
on Jan 26, 2010 3:33 PM

Hi Donna,  I, too, have just joined today.  I am so excited to find a site like yours.  I have been crocheting for approximately 25 years and I never have found a site like yours, explaining directions so that I don"t skip projects that I did not understand.  Thank you, Karen

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Sagolily wrote
on Feb 11, 2010 12:19 AM

Hi Donna,  I have just joined and seem to have same problem as some others.  No Pictures.  I love this idea but need pics.  Do you know how I can see them on the page.  I get the squares where they should be with just a small square in corner with a cross in.  Thanks

wrote
on Feb 11, 2010 4:09 AM

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Feb 11, 2010 10:46 AM

WinkThe magic adjustable ring looks like such a great tutorial!! Sure would love it if the photos could be viewed. Hoping someone can fix this. Thank you so much! Smile

S

Contented Crocheter

Sheriann

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Feb 12, 2010 12:30 PM

I joined today as well.  There are no pictures on this article.

Is there a special way for left handed crocheters?  Or are the directions universal?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Sagolily wrote
on Feb 12, 2010 2:56 PM

That was brilliant. Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
robillm2 wrote
on Feb 16, 2010 8:25 PM

Flia you are an angel!! The YouTube video was extremely helpful, easy to follow, easy to understand! I truly appreciate your posting of this here!!

Robin M

wrote
on Feb 17, 2010 6:08 AM

You're welcome Big Smile

YouTube is a fantastic source for tutorials.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mrsjfm wrote
on Feb 18, 2010 5:14 AM

I love all the help you can get from Tutorials on You Tube too (especially Teresa...) - when I can get them! My poor elderly laptop doesn't always have the required speed to keep the words and pictures synchronised -  Very Frustrating!

So I have searched for a pictorial explanation of the Magic Adjustable Loop, and here is the link to it. I shall certainly use this site again! Best wishes everyone!

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/in-the-round.htm

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mia3 wrote
on Mar 1, 2010 1:27 PM

Hello, I'm having the same trouble ---no pictures---just an x in the corner.  Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ShariK@6 wrote
on Mar 3, 2010 11:30 PM

I think that this may be a great way to do this, however, the pictures do not come through.  Please redo so that there are pictures.

shari

Page 1 of 7 (95 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS