The Magic Adjustable Ring: A Better Way to Begin Crochet in the Round

This post has 94 Replies | 45 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jul 7, 2011 4:00 PM

Wow...thank you so much for this tutorial...so glad I learned something new and useful...love it!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
carljohn wrote
on Jul 9, 2011 11:55 PM

Nice tutorial very clear instruction. Thanks!

Save money with Kohls printable coupons and promo codes. Find Kohls coupons and other printable coupons online.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 49
on Jul 10, 2011 12:16 AM

Thanks for the useful tutorial, Donna. This is a very useful techinque for those that make Amigurumi with round heads.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jul 27, 2011 5:27 AM

I was going to post a quick note about pictures, but first I wanted first of all to say that this is a great tutorial, and was much easier to follow than the 3+ video's I had seen, however I felt sorry for those that were saying they had trouble seeing the pictures.

now with my day job being web development I checked the source code for the site and looked at the code used to display the pictures, and there is nothing wrong with the code so the pictures should display without issue, so for those having trouble I would suggest that first they try clearing cache and cookies (a Google search will help you find a tutorial to do that for your browser).

If this does not fix the issue for you (and it may not) then the next step would be to use a standards compliant web browser such as Google Chrome (most compliant) or Safari (next best), and always steer clear of Internet Explorer or proprietary browsers such as the AOL browser based on Internet Explorer unless you just can not avoid it at all, this is not an attack on these browsers out of bias, just truthful advice based on too many years experience having to build websites with conditional coding for IE and beaing able to leave it 'normal' for the rest of the world :D 

HTH

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MinnyM wrote
on Jul 27, 2011 11:58 AM

Thank you for this tutorial.   I've seen  alot of patterns that say to start with the "Magic Ring"  &  I  had never heard of it.    I'll be making my projects from now on  using this  technique. 

Thanks for a great site.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MinnyM wrote
on Jul 27, 2011 11:58 AM

Thank you for this tutorial.   I've seen  alot of patterns that say to start with the "Magic Ring"  &  I  had never heard of it.    I'll be making my projects from now on  using this  technique. 

Thanks for a great site.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
makeitart wrote
on Aug 21, 2011 1:30 PM

I have been doing something similar for a while now.  the chained center drove me nuts having that little opening, so I started leaving a long tail and crocheting that first round with that tail in it, then pulling the tail to tighten and tie shut.  Almost the same thing... I can't believe I didn't think to cut the one step and do it this way... I was so proud of myself for thinking up my solution, but yours is faster for sure and obviously will make the center not so thick, knotty, heavy..... you know what I mean!  Thank you for this!!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Aug 28, 2011 2:28 PM

I really like these directions, however, can you explain or be more specific on how you got from step 12 to 13 on the adjustable ring pattern? It is vague and I don't understand it. One more picture or a short explanation on how to close the hole in the ring. 

Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Patrice W. wrote
on Sep 13, 2011 5:33 PM

This is exactly how I make my "adjustable ring." I've seen other ways of doing it, but they are confusing. And you're right, I've never gone back to the ch-4 method of starting circles. Never thought about untwisting the tail before pulling the circle close (fig. 11). I'll remember to do it next time I make one. You can really see the difference between a circle made this way and one made with a ch-4 beginning. Great photos, btw! I barely had to read the text.

Patrice

http://yarnoverpullthrough.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Galarno wrote
on Oct 2, 2011 2:56 PM

Good afternoon!

I have been searching how to reach you to thank you with all my hearth. I am new at crocheting. I beggan to learn on Youtube last week. All of this for the love of my daughter! Her name is Krystel, she's 20 and she is presently in Europe with her best friend for a backpack adventure. She has been in France, Marocco and now she is visiting Barcelona! The mom is a little worried but she gives me news most every day on Facebook. Viva el progress!

This young lady of mine loves everything that is vintage. She bought a papasan chair and the big, big coussin is very colorful. I go to bed very late at night being a little worried. So I keep my mind busy in a very pleasant way. I have crocheted 150 flowers in 6 different colors. I do not know how to attach the flowers to one another but I am searching! Ouf! lol! I hope I will be able to finish my jetée (I do not know the word in English but its a kind of blanket but smaller) lol!

As I decided to take a little break, I found a scarf named japanese flower scarf. It is beautiful, but I cannot find the pattern! lol! Another thing,I will try to find! lol! I have passed a few hours yesterday trying to learn how to do the famous magic circle! I have gone through many videos on Youtube, but it seemed that the yarn was always falling down my fingers! lol! Really discouraged, I decided to try Google and asked for a step by step tutorial. And pray the Lord! :) I found your tutorial. Thank you, thank you, thank you! With your precious help, I can now do flowers that require a magic circle (like the japanese) while still seaching for the japanese scarf pattern! 

Thank you again! You have made my day and much more!

Please excuse me, Maybe I am not very clear, I am French speaking but I can manage reading and writing in English! 

I give you a big hog and a kiss on your cheeks! 

Merci, Merci! xx

Not Ranked
Posts 1
redsimigirl wrote
on Oct 13, 2011 2:03 PM

WOW - why didn't someone say this in the beginning.  All those unnecessary little holes!

Thank you for enlightening me x

Also does anyone know why there is a difference between UK/Australian and US crochet stitches?

Thanks all

Simi x Angel x

Not Ranked
Posts 1
rinaward wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 10:57 AM

Here is a link to left handed instructions, I tried the instructions yarntomato gave and ended up with a messy knot thing. This worked better for me, I could see the specific stitches I had made when I tried it: http://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/magic-ring-left-handed/

Not Ranked
Posts 1
woodman0072 wrote
on Nov 9, 2011 7:32 AM

Awesome tutorials with detail instruction. Please keep up the good work. Brian  at southwest promo code

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Nov 19, 2011 3:09 PM

Yarntomatoe,

After 50+ years crocheting and knitting....and winning awards for some of my work...I am blown away with this so simple concept of the this adjustable or magic ring...

Who says you cannot teach an old chick (dog) lol new tricks.

Thank you so very much for sharing and inspiring..

Never ever quit learning..it is what keeps me young.

Hugs,

Camlla

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MissDawn wrote
on Dec 7, 2011 8:24 AM

this vid rocks for the visual learner ... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !!Yes

Page 4 of 7 (95 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS