My first afghan! Anybody want to join in?

This post has 44 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
lopsyli wrote
on Jun 11, 2009 8:52 AM

I'm making a ripple afghan, like the ones we had at home when I was little. I expect it to be around 5'x5', nice and big. I'm using supersaver yarn (not-quite-entirely acrylic; there aren't any craft stores in my area) and 5mm (H8?) hook. gauge is 4 stiches to the inch.

I had a pattern, then upon getting ready to start the second row, I realized that it was not at all what I wanted to do! So I'm doing it the way that works better for me: no pattern, just knowing what needs to be done.

What I'm doing is: ch 391, skip first on turn, then starting with second ch and working back loop*** only, sc 18, 3sc in next sc, sc 18, skip 2 sc, repeat about 10 times (if the last one's a little long or short, oopsies, but no big deal. I can't count--that's part of why I suck at patterns :P)

On the next row, do the same thing (3sc where there were 3 on previous, skip 2 where two were skipped previously--for those of us who can't count), but sc with both loops.

Alternate the back/both sc every row, and when the row is wide enough for your taste, switch colors. I'm using 3 colors.

I'm on the third row right now... I've always done back-loop-only, so this is difficult for me.

***might be front loop. I can't find where I saw the diagram that told me which was which--I discovered after nearly finishing the second row on the original pattern that I had learned to do it one-loop, not "regular" sc. --So that's why my amigurumi have a different texture!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
lopsyli wrote
on Jun 11, 2009 8:16 PM

Okay, I looked at the original pattern again and I"m changing it up slightly from what I said...

The first three rows (ch391, and stitches as listed above) have been done front loop only. The rest will be done back loop only to give that textured effect.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 76
Boupie2 wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 7:22 PM

I was working on an afghan that was done in strips and I just put it down for a while. Maybe I will pick it back up and work on it while you work on the ripple one. I know it is not the same pattern but maybe you can inspire me to actually finish an adult afghan (I have only finished baby ones). Will that work for you?

Thanks,

Boupie

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
lopsyli wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 7:35 PM

Of course! My biggest finished project was an amigurumi; I've started and unraveled about 10 blankets... I'm hoping to actually finish this one, and posted this largely to encourage myself to do so. I hope you get yours finished too :D

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 44
RedTartan wrote
on Jun 18, 2009 9:55 AM

I'm getting ready to start an afghan. I'll be happy to join this little group. I'm planning on making the crochet sampler afghan. I think the pattern came from the Lion Brand website.

We need to post progress photos in here too, ladies.

:)

There's nothing finer than a man in a kilt.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
lopsyli wrote
on Jun 18, 2009 10:11 AM

Yes we do! I need to get a few off my camera.. and take a few more.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
babygirl1 wrote
on Jun 19, 2009 6:17 AM

I am starting an afgan, too - done in strips. I am using 3 colors; the school colors of my daughter's high school. I only did one strip so far. It's a slow process; I can't seem to find the time to continue. And I have multiple projects started. I started the patriotic placemat and didn't measure, and I ended up ripping it out; and starting over. I'm beginning to understand the value of crocheting a guage swatch.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 44
RedTartan wrote
on Jun 26, 2009 7:30 AM

I've started my afghan. I'm actually not following a pattern after all.

I keep two crochet projects going at a time. One hard (for me anyway) and one easy. My easy project is this afghan and my hard project is Mei Mei by Doris Chan. I've never made any article of clothing before (except mittens, hats, and scarves) so this is hard for me.

Anyway, I liked the way the shells and v's look together so I'm making a Doris Chan sweater afghan. LOL. I even started the afghan with the same Ch/Sc base that she starts the sweaters with because it's beautifully stretchy.

I'll post a progress photo just as soon as I can get my husband to teach me how...

:)

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Mar 10, 2010 5:42 PM

I'm thinking of starting another blanket, maybe a child's blanket this time. I need something to take my mind off of things, especially my husband and his "we need to save more money" lecture.

You buy the yarn, I'll make the afghan.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
tomiegirl77 wrote
on Apr 23, 2010 10:35 AM

I'm in!  I have a giant granny started and another ripple started and another and another LOL I am forever getting started and rarely getting finished. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
Theresea2 wrote
on May 4, 2010 7:28 PM

Howdy,  Coffee

Can I join... I have ghan's on the go at all times... my mom used to call me the afghan lady ..cause that's all I would crochet.  I've been working on one for my hubby in a green solid and a varigated green harvest.  Nice colors, but you can't get the harvest here anymore.  It's one of those double ghans... where you crochet two types of patterns in the same afghan, so that if they were ever taken apart you would have two afghans.  Kind of cool, but works up slow. 

I have a double red and black going for my son ... hate the color combo .. so it's kind of stuck, or rather I'm stuck.

I've been crocheting a couple of baby afghans.. finished one the other day... it turned out to be bigger than I thought I would make it... liked the soft green varigated yarn... it big enough fo a toodler bed.   The other one I've got going and hope to finish tonight or tommorrow is a white light yarn with a purple varigated light yarn, thought I finish it off in a eyelash round of purple... we shall see how that works out... but it too is big enough for a toodler bed.

Looking back at this email you would think I like varigated yarn or something.... has anyone tried crocheting with eyelash yarn?  I tried knitting with it looks up easy ... just wondering if there's a techinque it use when crocheting with it.

Bottoms Up....Coffee

Theresee Coffee

.... never without a coffee, never without a hook...

Not Ranked
Posts 2
momskii wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 12:43 PM

Maybe if I post here I will get some of my afghans finished.  I have three knit ones started, one almost finished that is a baby one (corner to corner) with green, yellow, pink & blue varigated yarn.  It's a very easy pattern that begins with 5 stitches and increases till you get to the size you want, then you decrease to the end.  I have another like this one started that I am using two strands of yarn together, green varigated and cream. That one is going to be a full size afghan for my granddaughter.  My third is a pink, rose and white knitted full size afghan that is just my own pattern with some rows knit, some rows knit and purl.  I was going to give it to my granddaughter (the oldest) but she informed me that she doesn't like pink, so I will keep it.  I am knitting that until I use all the yarn.  I have 3 crochet afghans started, one red,white & blue large granny square, one crochet corner to corner shell that is white and blue, and another corner to corner blue & rose.  Then I have a baby afghan started that uses a sort of half puff stitch that is varigated pink and purple.  Boy, until I posted here, I had no idea that I had that many going at one time.  I just finished one crochet and two knitted baby blankets.  It's 90 degrees here now, so its too hot and humid to have the large afghans on my lap.  I will start on them again when it gets cooler.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 2:54 PM

Oh my gosh! I'm in heaven! What a relief to be amongst master beginners but novice finishers! That's me to a T. Smile I just completed a baby blanket last week - my first finished project larger than a washcloth (which I'm mildly addicted to making!)

I'll join in and post my progress in the next day or two. 

It will be a basic granny square in 3 colors (plum, merlot and heather grey)  I loved them side by side, then started working with them and now I'm not so sure I like how it's turning out, but I'm committed at this point. Lady friends love the combo, it makes my husband a little nauseated! I bought 2 skeins of each color and plan to work it until I run out of yarn. I will put a border, but the jury's still out on what it will be. It's really just a fun, therapeutic little project for me. I'll do 2 rows of one color in a sitting then call it a day. I'm not burning out on it, plus it's so easy that there's no thinking involved. 

I plan to auction/sell the blanket then donate 100% of the proceeds to the local homeless ministry my church participates in. I figure someone out there will buy it...even if they think it's ugly! haha

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 378
lanesgma wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 6:15 PM

Ok - I'm in - I'm working on a ripple afghan anyway - something to enter in the fair - so might as well join the group. I started it the end of last week. You do regular ripple pattern and then you make bobbles up the rows from bottom to top! Will have to post pics once I get farther along!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 378
lanesgma wrote
on Jul 15, 2010 9:46 PM

Ok - I finished mine today - I don't know how to post pics on here - if there is a way - I did post a pic in the album on here - now on to other things - got 2 more afghans started already!

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS