Crochet Hook Sizes

This post has 34 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Mary M. wrote
on Nov 18, 2010 2:13 PM

I use H for afghans.  I also made 3 sweaters last Christmas for gifts with H. 

I like Q for quick afghans (2 strands of worsted).

I have used steel crochet hooks for potholders and doilies.

Question: I am making a potholder, calls for size 10 (bedspread weight) crochet thread, and size 6 steel hook.  I tried to start with a Clover #6 steel hook (with the padded handle) - that hook is VERY small and wouldn't hold the thread to crochet..  Then I pulled out my Boye #6 steel  hook - much larger (still small though) and could work with the number 10 thread.  Are Clover hooks sized differently??

Not Ranked
Posts 3
bishopca wrote
on Apr 23, 2012 6:49 AM

I think I probably use my G aluminum hook the most.    I have a set of hooks E though K, all of which I have used.  I would say J & K I have used the least.  I have steel and aluminum crochet hooks.  Both work really well although I have recently gotten into Tunisian Crochet and purchased bamboo hooks which I really like also.

I don't generally make clothes.  I have a hard enough time finding clothes to fit my body at the store so I avoid making clothes for myself.  I used to crochet for my oldest daughter when she was just a toddler.  (She is 38 now!)  I have crocheted many afghans, doilies and potholders over the years. The last 3 years I have been dressing dolls for The Goodfellows in our area.  They are distributed to little girls who would otherwise not have anything for Christmas.  These are both sewn and crocheted outfits.  Recently I purchased "Tunisian Around The Home" by Kim Guzman and am looking forward to trying the Bow-Tie Pillow that is on the front cover.  I also just recently crocheted a prayer shawl for a friend of mine who is in home hospice care now.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Shipton wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 12:42 PM

Yes they are it seems.  The steel size 6 Clover is a 1.0mm hook and the Boye Size 6 is 1.8mm.  ALL of Clovers Steel hooks are sized differently.  I would, if I were you, google "steel crochet hook sizes" for a chart that gives both the US size and the mm size and purchase your Clover Hooks according to the mm size.  The Clover Aluminum hooks are sized correctly, and by correctly I mean that they are standard US sizes.  In the case of the size 6 Steel hook, the is a US size 12 and a UK size 6 1/2.  This is a good chart for deciding what Clover steel hooks you should get.  http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/info/steel-crochet-hook-conversion.html

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Shipton wrote
on Nov 8, 2012 12:54 PM

Yes they are it seems.  The steel size 6 Clover is a 1.0mm hook and the Boye Size 6 is 1.8mm.  ALL of Clovers Steel hooks are sized differently.  I would, if I were you, google "steel crochet hook sizes" for a chart that gives both the US size and the mm size and purchase your Clover Hooks according to the mm size.  The Clover Aluminum hooks are sized correctly, and by correctly I mean that they are standard US sizes.  In the case of the size 6 Steel hook, the is a US size 12 and a UK size 6 1/2.  This is a good chart for deciding what Clover steel hooks you should get.  http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/info/steel-crochet-hook-conversion.html

Not Ranked
Posts 1
momac929 wrote
on Mar 19, 2013 12:47 PM

Hi, my name is Maureen and I'm from New York. I am so very interested in "attempting" to make a rag rug! Might you be willing to share your rag rug instructions?  Or can you direct me else where to find out to go about creating such an awesome creation. Thanks, look forward to hearing from you. Maureen

Page 3 of 3 (35 items) < Previous  1 2 3 | RSS