Fat-Bottom Bag

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Millow wrote
on Jun 17, 2008 5:59 PM

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to crocheting, but am in love with bags, so I've been testing out my skills on some bag patterns. I've run into a snag however with the fat-bottom bag designed by Julie Holetz in the Happy Hooker's book. I've finished the body of the bag but I can't figure out the Handle Flap section. Am I stiching up the side then working my way across the top? Or am I just creating a flap? - I've tried crocheting the side then working across however this doesn't leave much of an opening at the top of the bag. If anyone can offer any guidance I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks :)

Rebecca

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 723
on Jun 20, 2008 4:42 AM

mad for crochet!I remember a couple of months ago, a member, loremor, posted a bunch of fat bottom bags that she did. maybe she could give you some tips. Her post is on the second page of the FO (finished objects)section of this forum.

mad for crochet!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
DarleneT@2 wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 12:59 PM
I crochet about 3 of these bags a few years back for Christmas and lined them.. big hit!!

On the handle flap you are woking across the row ends if you lay it out this should be the two side edges.. The book says;

"Work handle flap on opposite side edge of bag."

Good luck finishing up on your bag and hope this posting helps.

Hope to see a pix soon of your finished purse. I crocheted flowers to embellish the bags I did and then used pretty buttons for the centers. It is nice to line the bag if you can.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Anna@72 wrote
on Aug 17, 2010 8:02 AM

Hi,
Don't know if  anyone will read this as the Fat Bottom Bag post was so long ago but I'm looking for some advice on making this bag.  I can't get the bag to gather when crocheting the handle flap - it just lies flat!  What could I be doing wrong?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Anna :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
rgrif65 wrote
on Jun 6, 2011 12:05 PM

If you look at the top of the rows, there will be holes where you chained two.  They are spaced apart. You are going to single crochet into those holes to create the gather for the bag.  It should be 26 single crochets across.  There is a tutorial on www.bendbeanies.com that you can look at that will help. Look under "bag pattern".  She has pics which really help.  Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS