Chilean Wool ***Not Felting in Boiling Water***

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
a-to-z wrote
on Feb 9, 2010 3:59 AM

Help. My first attempt at felting is gone bad. I have a swatch in boiling water for 30 minutes or more...and it has retained it's size, stitches and such. Nothing has changed, except the piece has gotten wet.

There is NO fabric look whatsoever. The double crochet stitches round and round still look very much like double crochet stitches, round and round.

I do not have my own washing machine, so I thought I'd try the boiling method I'd read about.

Sadly, I used two skeins of this 100% wool to make a hat with ear flaps for my daughter. It's oversized for me, so for my pre-teen daughter, it will only be a head sock.

HELP!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
BeateS@3 wrote
on Apr 18, 2010 10:37 AM

Hi there,

do you have an instruction? As far as I know the agitation (e.g. washing machine) does the actual felting. I have read a few instructions, and none of them required you to felt your piece in boiling water. According to the instructions on the wool itself that I bought, it is enough to use warm water in the washing cycle, but don't use the wool wash programme of your machine. Probably the agitation is too weak. Have you already looked for suitable videos on the net?

Beate

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,275
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 10:50 AM

Felting does require agitation, even with the boiling method. I have heard of several agitation methods from using a wooden spoon to agitate it while it is boiling to removing it from the water occasionally to rub it with your hands (be sure to wear gloves and be careful not to burn yourself).

Not Ranked
Posts 1
FibreSpace wrote
on Apr 19, 2013 11:26 AM

Hi Fellow Felter,

I know you said it was 100% wool but is it feltable wool?  If it is a "super wash" woolen, it is treated so that it will NOT felt.  Other than that - BeateS@3 and Toni are right, agitation is the key.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS