Weaving in Ends, 2-Part Question

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Feb 10, 2010 7:58 AM

I am working on a stripe blanket that has several color changes. It's super-soft acrylic yarn, so when I tie knots in the two colors before working the first row of the new color, I find that they slip out easily. I made the mistake of tying two pieces then trimming the excess yarn. Before I knew it, the knot had untied and I had to use actual thread to stitch a tight loop around the two pieces so they didn't unravel. Probably not the right fix, but it worked in a jam! 

That being said, my questions are:

1.) How can I prevent the knot from coming out, or is there a way to work in the new color without knotting it?

2.) Is there an "official" way to weave in the tails from where I am incorporating the new colors? I am left with two tails of yarn at each color change. I want them to be well hidden. The only idea I can come up with is to work them in as I'm doing the border, instead of working them horizontally into the existing rows. My concern with this is that the border is going to be a deep red, whereas the colors in the blanket are more pale - butter yellow, sage green, white and country blue. I worry that the contrast will still peek through the border.   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 144
theonlynikki wrote
on Feb 10, 2010 11:41 AM

Part 1; I'm sorry.  I'm not good at that.  I usually knot it.

Part 2: Perosonally, I use a large eyed blunt needle.  It's quick and looks so amazing!  Basically just make sure you leave about 6 inches on the end hanging loose.  Then thread it through the needle and sew it through some of your stitches and trim the excess.  Hides perfectly and keeps you from cutting the yarn too close to the knot, which makes it more prone to coming untied. 

Best of luck!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Feb 10, 2010 11:55 AM

Thank you Nikki. I guess I've been doing it right all along then! 

I use a blunt needle as well, I just didn't know if there was a specific technique to really hide the excess yarn. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 144
theonlynikki wrote
on Feb 10, 2010 12:14 PM

Most welcome!

Yeah I dunno if there is either, but I just kinda weave it in wherever and it alwats seems to hold and look great for me!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS