Crocheting from a cross stitch type graph pattern.

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Feb 23, 2010 9:30 AM

Good Morning all!

I am trying to learn how to crochet a pattern for an afghan following a cross stitch graph. The designer states it is not difficult, but there are several color changes in following the pattern. Before I purchased the pattern, I thought one could just crochet the design over a completed single crocheted background. The instructions only allow for two options, crochet line by line as you go or crochet the background, then cross-stitch the design on it.

So far, I've tried them both and keep thinking there must be a better way. The as you go instructions mention when changing colors, just drop one color and pickup the new with no mention of ending off the old yarn.I could imagine myself struggling with hanging needles everywhere while working!(?) I can't bring myself to do it!  I keep ending the old off, then I'm stuck with gobs of loose ends.  The cross-stitch is ok, but the as you go method gives a much more realistic picture.

Has anybody out there worked with one of these projects?  Please, please help me if you can shed any light  on an easier way to do this. I have purchased several of these patterns and really had my heart set on completing them.  I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks a bunch, gang!

Sumbunnysmawmaw  

Smile

wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 11:12 AM

It depends a lot on how the old colour comes back, but usually you crochet over the old colour, bringing it with you inside the stitch.

When sticking the hook into the next stitch, you do it under both the loops and the old yarn. Always look for when the old colour is being used again so that you stop carrying it there.

I tried finding a video instruction on this but I couldn't find one.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ahm239697 wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 12:38 PM

I saw the other reply to your question.  I am not sure I was able to follow her.  But I did do some patterns off of a cross stitch design.  In one case I used the single crochet method incorporating the design right in.  Depending how often you are changing colors I would use yarn bobbins.  I know it seems complicated and cumbersome, but it is much easier.  As for cross stitching over it, if you are a cross stitcher you might not like this method.  It feels awkward.  I have cross stitched onto single crochet and onto the afghan stitch.

Good luck what ever method you choose.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ahm239697 wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 12:38 PM

I saw the other reply to your question.  I am not sure I was able to follow her.  But I did do some patterns off of a cross stitch design.  In one case I used the single crochet method incorporating the design right in.  Depending how often you are changing colors I would use yarn bobbins.  I know it seems complicated and cumbersome, but it is much easier.  As for cross stitching over it, if you are a cross stitcher you might not like this method.  It feels awkward.  I have cross stitched onto single crochet and onto the afghan stitch.

Good luck what ever method you choose.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 506
Char55 wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 5:44 PM

When I use a graph pattern, I use the afghan (tunisian) stitch. When you get to a color change, you just tie on a bobbin of the new color and draw up the loop in the stitch where the new color starts.

YouTube.com has lots of videos showing how to change colors in tunisian crochet. See this link:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=changing+colors+in+tunisian+crochet&search_type=&aq=o

hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS