Hooks and Hooks and More Hooks...What is Your Fav?

This post has 47 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
KimberlyRae wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 2:02 PM

Ok, here goes!

After nearly 20 years I picked up my crochet hook again...it will forever be with me until my trip to Heaven...hehehe

and

I will be the first to admit 'hooks' are my weakness!  I have tried, I think Every kind of wood hook, aluminum, bamboo, etc. [well you get the picture...lol]

But I'm ready to downsize and stick to one general 'family' of hook [assumming this is possible] lol

Please, tell  me your FAV hook material, ie: wood[what kind], plastic, steel, bamboo..etc??

and

Your FAV Size of Hook?

Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 2:17 PM

I have mostly aluminum hooks. I was taught as a youngster and that's what I was taught with, so it's just stuck with me. 

I recently decided to try Susan Bates aluminum hooks with bamboo handles, and I must say, I am a fan! I like that the handle is larger, and therefore more comfortable, so I don't strain my hand trying to hold on to a thin hook. I feel like the yarn slides nicely on aluminum hooks, also. 

From what I've read about bamboo hooks, the main appeal is for those who have arthritis. The hooks warm up nicely and have a therapeutic affect. But I'm not sure I see any other benefit that makes them worth the money.

As for the size of hook...well, that mostly depends on the project! But I'm pretty much a mid-range girl - hooks in the 4-6mm range. I tried using a speed hook for a project once and found it quite cumbersome, although I read several reviews that it does take a little getting used to. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 72
LI Roe wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 3:18 PM

Downsize? What does that mean?? I don't think I know the meaning of it!!! LOL. Downsizing is not in my vocabulary.

Seriously, I am a Susan Bates hook fanatic. I find that, for me, the yarn flows better and doesn't seem to catch like Boye hooks do. I tend to use aluminum the most, like the larger acrylic hooks (smaller ones may break easier) and bamboo handles. Basically I like them al and have nearly every one there is, including the lightup ones and the soft touch handled ones.  I do tend to have multiples of the most used hooks because I like to have multiple projects going on at the same time and often, I am using the same hook size. . 

I do a lot of charity crocheting (mainly afghans, hats and scarves). I tend to like the J or K the most, then it all depends on the pattern and how I am adjusting it to suit the yarn I want to use. For pet beds, I go up to an L or M.

LI Roe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 508
Char55 wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 3:22 PM

I prefer the Susan Bates Aluminum hooks. I also like Susan Bates 22" Flexible Afghan hooks for working with Tunisian stitch afghans. I find that Boye hooks split the yarn.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
KimberlyRae wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 8:23 PM

@ Ll Roe- awee..you do charity work, too?  take a looksey here  http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1420774237564#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=558328610 

I do like Susan Bates, too, girls I totally agree here..would like to expand into the 'woods', too.  lol

Not Ranked
Posts 8
meghancriss wrote
on May 25, 2010 8:01 AM

I use hooks for the project, and am looking for pencil grippers to put on them for comfort.  I love aluminum and you're all convincing me to try Susan Bates.....maybe take the Boyes back?

Question!  Is a G-6 4.0 the same as a G-6 4.25?  If I switch hooks (from acrylic to aluminum) in the middle of a project, will that change the fabric?

Thanks for advice!

Meg

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 152
zoe cro-z wrote
on May 31, 2010 2:48 PM

my fav. crochet hook is Boye aluminum hooks and also Boye stainless steel.  I've never tried wooden crochet hook.  Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't think that I have ever seen a wooden crochet hook.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
meghancriss wrote
on May 31, 2010 5:24 PM

Zoe,

Boye hooks are everywhere!  I prefer Susan Bates and those are hard to find.  I just started a project with Red Heart Acrylics and really like those, too.   What do you like to crochet?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
KimberlyRae wrote
on May 31, 2010 9:38 PM

gotcha!! I have a collection of boyle hooks because Walmart is the ONLY shop in these here parts....ha...

BUT

I've discovered knitpro.com symphony wood extended hooks..and Loveeeeeeeeeee them!!

they are also soooooooooo versatile and can even interchange with the knitpicks.com knitting circluar interchangable needles! yayhooo.

I'm here on Ravelry  http://www.ravelry.com/people/KimberlyRaeF and have free crochet pattern there, my first..hehe

I have some other projects almost done a crochet babydoll top that just needs the ribbon and Done..lol.

then I'm waiting for my 's extended tunisain crochet hook to make this blanket. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stash-buster-blanket
but mine will be in red, white and blue yarns ...I'm really excited about it :) 

also, in the process of making some more red white and blue stuffs like these http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/janelles-star-dishcloth
I want to make a ton of these to give to the kids, too :)

what's everyone else working on??

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 378
lanesgma wrote
on Jun 1, 2010 10:03 AM

I have alot of wooden hooks that are very pretty to look at! But I don't know that I actually like working with them - I have a glass hook that is nice to work with and also recently purchased a sterling silver hook which is nice to work with also - so smooth! I have light up hooks also - but I think my favorites are also the Susan Bates hooks with the bamboo handles - some of them I have in multiples if they are a size I use often since I like some of the others like to have more than 1 project going at the same time - and they might use the same size hook. If you;ve not tried these I would suggest that you do - they are really nice to work with - I like you have a sort of crochet hook fetish though! ha!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 12:45 PM

For small projects, any old hook will do (though I prefer bamboo hooks). However, for large projects (or ones that take a lot of time) I refuse to start unless I have the Clover Soft Touch crochet hook in the correct size. These are very expensive, so I end up waiting for one of those 50% off sales before I can add to my collection, but THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY! Really, I'm not joking! The design fits my hand comfortably. There is a soft cushy pad right where I place my thumb (how did they know?!) and I can crochet an entire evening without my carpal tunnel acting up. Whoever designed this style of crochet hook really put a lot of thought into it. I really can't say enough about how comfortable the hooks are. As I mentioned in my first sentence, at all other times, I will use one of my bamboo hooks. I was given one or two to try by a friend and they are warm, and actually pretty comfortable, too. I find that the bamboo slides easily along the yarn with no catches or hitches.

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL
http://4evercrochet.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mckenzif wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 9:09 PM

After a break from knitting and crochet of several years, I started up again and discovered bamboo! I really prefer bamboo to metal for comfort. My 'antique' tools from the 1970s were mostly aluminum Susan Bates for the crochet hooks. I also have steel Susan Bates hooks a full set. It seems they don't have the range they used to and I think the quality of the older hooks is better.

I just purchased a set of Susan Bates aluminum with bamboo handles. They are relatively affordable and I think they will work great as the tops are metal and the handles are larger and bamboo (warm).

I have some 'all-bamboo' hooks but I think they won't hold up in the smaller sizes, too fragile.

Looking forward to trying some 'double crochet' projects with two yarns. Something new to try.

Frances

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,224
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 8, 2010 10:26 AM

I have a full set of Lantern Moon wood hooks that I LOVE. I adore wood hooks because they feel warm and natural in my hand. They are also beautiful. Wood hooks can get a bit on the pricey side though.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
GENEVA1 wrote
on Jul 10, 2010 11:24 AM

I have lots of hooks also. Not only do I have the ones I have purchased over the years but also the ones my Mama used, even the ones she wrapped tape around for a better grip (she had arthritis).

My favorite is the "crochet lite". It has a lite on the end which is handy when traveling at night or when we are camping. The shape is great and it has a good grip.

I use G and H a lot.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
juliemay wrote
on Jul 12, 2010 2:04 PM

I understand about the Walmart thing.  They used to carry Susan Bates and when they downsized they got rid of them and kept the Boye.  than's why i bought several full sets of Susan Bates most popular size hooks so I have multiples of the most used sizes.(G-K)  Yarn splits and knots up when I use the Boyle hooks.  I've been crocheting about 40 years and have always preferred SB hooks in metal or aluminum.  I make afghans for the local domestic violence shelter and use whatever kind of yarn the members of my church donate.  It ranges from rug yarn to sport weight and everything in between.

Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS