Looking for a Simple Baby Blanket Idea

This post has 12 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Apr 22, 2010 1:47 PM

The stork is making his rounds to a few friends and I want to gift them all with baby blankets. I'm still a newbie at crochet and prefer simple patterns (ones that I don't have to refer to often) and ones that will work up quickly.

I'm looking for suggestions (and written instructions) of some simple "back & forth" type patterns that would make a pretty blanket, but not be boring. 

Right now, I am working on one in a solid shell stitch pattern and it's not too bad. It's just a matter of mastering the stitch and committing it to memory so I don't have to rely on a pattern. 

I would appreciate any suggestions! 

Thank you! 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
wilbmd1 wrote
on Apr 22, 2010 5:06 PM

A v  stritch makes a nice afghan - chain a multiple of 3  +5 then DC in  5th chain from hook,  then work V stitch ( dc, chain 1 dc) in every 3rd stitch thereafter..  make with a light yarn for summer babies  or a heavier one for fall babies.  Can do stripes of different colors, etc for more visual appeal. 

hope this helps. Melissa Kehl

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Crochet2 wrote
on Apr 24, 2010 7:46 AM

A large granny square makes a nice baby blanket. You just start a normal granny but continue around until it measures around 32-36" square. You can even make "normal" size grannies to border around the big granny. I have made several of these and they work up fast and do not get boring.  2 to 3 solid colors or a pretty variegated yarn work for this style. If you are making one for a boy - a denim variegated looks neat and a pink and white variegated always is pretty for girls. Try bold primary colors or soft earth tones - anything works with granny! Check out any crochet guide to start a granny - Pauline Turner has the best "How to Crochet" guide along with the Harmony guides.

Have Fun!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
crochetmagic wrote
on Jul 20, 2011 7:27 AM

This is a very simple appliqued blanket for beginners. The texture is worked using basic stitches like, sc and triple crochet. If you want to make it for a boy, just use blue and may be a brown border? Take a look at www.crochetdreamz.blogspot,com.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sheanuio wrote
on Sep 21, 2011 4:05 AM

Then anytime it starts to fall apart in one area you can just sew it back onto the heavy cloth on the other side. Good luck!
Pocket Chair

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Juleeque wrote
on Oct 17, 2011 9:39 AM

I made the Granny Stripes blanket by Attic 24 for my newest Grandson. I just loved how it came out and the color changes kept my interest! Here's a photo of mine:

JuleeQue

www.SimplyNotable.com

My daughter and I blog collaboratively at:

Simply Notable
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Dec 7, 2011 5:17 AM

I hate to get rid of it and my son loves it still. I have sewn it as much as I could and it's still falling apart.
Hcg Ultra Lean

Not Ranked
Posts 1
laceycoleman wrote
on Dec 19, 2011 3:29 AM

i have already made two blankets(one for when she is smaller and one for when she is bigger), and a nursing pillow, and the bedding for her bassinette.
Parallels Promo Code

Not Ranked
Posts 1
patsyjones wrote
on Dec 27, 2011 3:08 AM

This is a brilliant idea, I am happy with my simple life and do not really want millions of dollars. (call me crazy) I would just like to see it succeed and be marketed.
Parallels Promo Code

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CleoKany wrote
on Jan 4, 2012 10:13 PM

Repeat these two rows until it is the length of the afghan and weave one one each end. Hope this helps, If i can help you any further let me know.
Ageless Male

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Riellyp wrote
on Feb 22, 2012 2:53 AM

I would like to make a blanket for a baby shower. I do have a sewing machine, but have never made a blanket before.
Alaczen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
on Feb 22, 2012 8:45 AM

Do you have access to a copy of Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker(Library, or friend's copy, or even your own, perhaps?) I found great success with Sonjia set, it's the last pattern in the book, has a matching hat, and because it's a stroller blanket, it's smaller, functional and works up quickly.

I just used a varigated yarn(red heart Bon bon) and some cream for the trim so it's a little more sturdy for outdoor use and all machine washable(it cracks me up that so much of the soft yarns are not supposed to be machine washable, like a new mom has time to hand scrub blankets with spit up on them, hehe) , and the colors and trim make it NOT boring, in my opinion ;) (I'm still wary of holes after helping my friend cut her child loose from an granny style one with slightly bigger holes when her daughter's tiny fist got all twisted up in it)

It was very very basic, just chain to the width and work DCS into it until it gets the height you want.

There was also a buckle hole, so it can be strapped between baby and the straps outside.

My friend was actually induced 2 hours ago, I'm anxiously waiting to hear how she's doing, living 6 hours apart kills me!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cmeola wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 2:36 AM

ange from 2 feet square to about 4 feet square, and any size and shape in between. Personally I think the smaller ones are pointless.
Lift Serum Pro

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS