THE OFFICIAL OCEAN PEARLS CARDIGAN POST

This post has 68 Replies | 13 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 11, 2010 10:37 PM

Hey, you all are doing great! I love the different yarns and really admire the beautiful fabric you are making!
I finished the back  on schedule last week, even though I had to go back about 15 rows and rework the upper shoulder (see my tip about shaping posted last week!)

But this busy week is not only keeping me from working on the fronts, but it has also kept me from updating you on the back.

Here it is:

Ta da! Back is the same size as my favorite sweater! Like Crochet-in-Bliss, I am working a smaller size because it works with my gauge, but working the dimensions of the larger size--that translates to more rows for the upper back.

Now, if you look at the back there, you will see what looks like a shadow across the bottom portion. In fact, that is the first skein of yarn, the top is the second skein of yarn. Yup. Total rookie error. When working with hand-dyed yarn, you really should alternate skeins every two rows. Otherwise, you're likely to get two big honking swaths of different colors. (sigh)

Here's a closer look at the two different colors:

light on top; dark on the bottom.

So, I have some options here:

1. I can take out the back all the way to row 2, then recrochet it alternating two balls of yarn.

2. I can move fast, so folks don't have time to focus on the color difference.

3. I can grow my hair long enough to cover the top part.

I'm opting for a combination of 2 and 3.

Hope your crocheting is coming along! I'm aiming to get some crochet done on my daughter's blue Ocean Pearls Cardigan while traveling tomorrow.

Talk to you soon!
Marcy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
GeriP wrote
on May 12, 2010 12:37 AM

I am definitely joining late, but I am finally on track.  I found my issue of interweave crochet with the post it sticking out marking the sweater.  I went stash diving and found a pretty iris color of sinfonia that I was able to gauge with an F hook.  E was not large enough.  The F is fine with rows and 1 stich too much.  It will work though as there is a large inch gap in the two larger sizes and this will work for my "in between" size.  I knit also and am down to the toes on some socks for my fiance and postponing my dreaded toe grafting for quiet momemts.  Since I learned crochet first, I always like to have a crochet project, as I can zone and don't have to concentrate.  Susan Bates hooks are great for bobbles, also wanted to mention if anyone has vintage/handmedown bone/wood hooks...many of those were "inline" and work well.  I have a dresser scarf from my nana and it is a study in bobbles and filet done in a cord, so heavy.  I don't know how she managed all those bobbles...this is an adventure!  Thanks for all the good ideas and observations!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 12, 2010 2:50 PM

ooh! Vintage crochet hooks! Best of all!

Glad you're aboard GeriP!

Marcy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 15, 2010 10:22 PM

I got a little help with my daughter's sweater. You can read about it here.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sgaff1020 wrote
on May 16, 2010 7:09 AM

Wow, I missed the start date but I really want to make this sweater with you all.  I just downloaded the pattern and will be using the Paton Grace.  I am on the final leg of making a really cute purse with it and I love it.  I have also been using it in necklines of tee-shirts.

Got to get crocheting!!!  Wink

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on May 16, 2010 5:06 PM

Hi Marcy,

Loved your blog about the airplane help with your daughter's sweater!  I just read it out loud to my husband, who is in the process of making us dinner... don't you just love it when the boundaries of what men and women tradionally do, is blurred and we all just enjoy doing what we are doing...

Anyway, just started the front today - half way through the right side - I planted myself in the garden on a lawnchair (no pun intended) after doing some garden bed cleanup, and enjoyed the sun with crochet hook in hand.  I loved seeing what some of the other crochet alongers (kcpklahn and AnnetteL) have done so far - I hope everybody posts a pic when we are all done, to see the project that unites nations,

Take care until next time :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 28, 2010 9:48 AM

Hmmm, well, according to that schedule that someone set up, I should be well along on the sleeves about now.

I've been in Colorado for a couple of weeks, finishing up the Summer issue and doing the photoshoot for the Fall issue. In my mind, I was happily spending my evening crocheting away on this sweater. And that did happen some.

But here's where I really am:

On the left there is my sweater: I've finished the back and the right front.

About that left front: If I could capture all the times I've crocheted & recrocheted it, I would be done. But alas, it doesn't work that way. My trouble was the yarn colors again. I worked the fronts by alternating skeins (I talked about this issue on May 12 in the forums). The right side worked fine. Since that yarn was nearly used up, I had to break into two new skeins for the left front. And the piece was coming out in strong stripes. So I pulled it back to the second row. Then I recrocheted about half a dozen rows before I discovered that I'd lost an end-row stitch. Because of the bobble pattern, I couldn't just fudge adding a stitch, so back again I went. I've done about 12 rows, and I'm still not happy with the striping that's happening. If I go back again I might weep. So I'm trying to move forward, adding a third skein.

On the right there is my daughter's sweater. I've worked the back and both fronts up to the shaping. Because this sweater is "off-pattern" (that is, it's smaller than the smallest size in the pattern), I will need to do some daughter measurements before I can move on.

I'm hoping to make some progress on the left front on the flight home. Then this weekend, I can dive into the sleeves. It's possible I can finish on schedule.

So that's my story. What's yours?

Marcy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on May 28, 2010 11:20 AM

Hi Marcy,

Yes that schedule..... :)  I am only about 20 rows farther than you - just starting the armhole shaping on the left front (back and right front done) - I should finish that tonight or Saturday, then to the sleeves.  It's really coming along nicely with the Ginger Patons Grace though, so I look forward to posting pics when we are done - and it will be interesting to come up with the closure.  I do like the ribbon tie idea, but I am thinking of  threading some glass or crystal beads along the ribbon, and knotting it around each bead - just a few beads on each piece of ribbon, so that if I have the sweater open with no fastening closed, the ribbons will hang nicely with the weight of the beads, and not be flyaway, if you know what I mean - anyway some experimenting to be done later.

Take care until next time :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 28, 2010 11:43 AM

Hi Crochet_in_Bliss!
Well, that certainly makes me feel better! Maybe we can finish at the same time.

I am intrigued by that ribbon / bead idea. Can't wait to see it!

Marcy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
AnnetteL@5 wrote
on May 29, 2010 8:49 AM

Hi Marcy,  I'm ahead of you....I finished my cardigan 3 days ago, the 26th. I'm blocking the back and fronts, then I'll be blocking the sleeves. I made my sleeves an inch longer, and also the cardigan, just cause I wanted it a little longer. I'm eager to finish and get on to the good part...wearing!  I will post pic's when done. I can't decide on button or tie though?! To me, the hard part, waiting for it to dry so I can sew together and finish. Don't want anyone to feel bad ....it still might take me longer to finish cause I dread seaming!  Annette

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on May 30, 2010 7:59 AM

Hi Marcy and fellow crocheters,

Just starting the sleeves and noticed a discrepancy in the row labelling - wondering if I missed a row - I have worked Row 1 to 5 - instructions started out with Row 1 as (RS), so Row 5 by default will also be called (RS) - so why in the next row, that is labelled "Inc Row", is that called (RS)? - we should be at a WS row at this point, correct?  Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss an extra hidden row in the first 5!  Any insight would be appreciated - I'll go and do some gardening in the meantime... :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on May 30, 2010 2:56 PM

Hi Folks,

I think I have discovered 2 things that need corrections with the sleeve instructions - per my post above, when you get to Row 5 of the sleeve, I believe that there should be an additional Row 6 of straight DC, to follow in the patterm, THEN follow with the Increase row (which will be RS) and in that row you will need to increase a total of 2 stitches - if you follow the pattern and just do the increase row as written, you will only have 1 increase by the end of the row - it just asks for 2 DC in the last stitch - I believe this corrected Increase row instruction should read:

" Inc Row: Ch 3, 2 DC in first stitch, work in pattern to last stitch, 2DC in last stitch, turn" - that way you have worked 2 increases in the row, which is what the stitch count calls for.

To recap, add a Row 6 after the first 5 Rows of the start of the sleeve, which is the straight DC row of the pattern, and in the Increase Row, add an extra increase at the beginning of the row, so you have 2 increases in the row.

Did anyone else encounter this?  Love to hear from the other crocheters....:)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 1, 2010 6:33 PM

Yay, Annette! I wish I had both sleeves done! I'm about a thrird of the way through one.

How will you seam the sweater? I'm thinking about slipstitching mine. So long as you pin the seams thoroughly, it is a very satisfactory way of seaming--cleaner than sewing, I think.

I can't wait to see your finished sweater!

Marcy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 427
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 1, 2010 6:40 PM

Hi C_i_B!

Very puzzling. My thought here is that the (RS) marking is incorrect. This way you would increase on the straight dc row and NOT add a row. That said, I don't think you'd get in trouble adding a row, so long as your final row measurements add up.

About the inc: the first inc is in the first stitch. Usually you skip that first stitch because the ch 3 counts as a stitch. But here, you do ch 3, dc in first st, as pattern indicates. Ch 3 + dc in first st makes 2 dc in a single st. Make sense?

I think the only error here is marking the inc row as (RS).

Marcy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
AnnetteL@5 wrote
on Jun 2, 2010 8:13 AM

Hi Marcy and Crocheter's,  Yes, I'm going to slipstitch mine too. Yes, for this sweater it will be much cleaner than sewing. I must get on with the finishing. It's been blocked, dried and waiting. I think I picked out the perfect button....thinking about a crocheted loop to slip over the button...I can't  decide yet. Annette

Page 3 of 5 (69 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS