My favourite crochet books

This post has 25 Replies | 12 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
teonaaa3 wrote
on Jul 3, 2012 2:50 AM

It was My 12th birthday when my aunt gave me an old book about crocheting and from there I was poisoned about it Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Stellaheresa wrote
on Nov 30, 2012 7:11 PM

My daughter crochets and I want her to make me a hoodie, but she isn't sure how to make one my size.\

click here to investigate

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Feb 14, 2013 12:26 PM

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I was looking for books on Amazon and then read you post. Somehow the library slipped my mind. I am just learning and don't want to buy a book unless I know it's good and helpful. I looked in the catalog and they have some great books available. I am going today.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Feb 16, 2013 10:23 AM

Right now, I'm loving Crochet Celebrity Slouchy Beanies For The Family by Lisa Gentry; it was the first crochet book that I actually bought! Another favorite is Not Your Mama's Crochet which I borrowed from the library. It used really simple terms and gave instructions for both wet and steam blocking as well as how to use color. I recommend it for everyone, whether crocheting your first dishcloth or your hundreth sweater. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
LizzieDee wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 4:20 AM

Can anybody suggest a crochet pattern book similar in style/format to The Knitters Handy  Book of Sweater Patterns please?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 89
DonnaP wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 8:56 AM

I'm not familiar with the knitting book, but I love "Everyday Crochet" by Doris Chan. It has pullovers, cardigans, vests, tank tops and coats. Each pattern has variations and includes ways to alter it for personalizing.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
LizzieDee wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 12:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not quite what I'm after.  I'm really looking for more standard shape garments - basic designs in multiple sizes and gauges.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jed12 wrote
on Jul 2, 2013 2:44 PM

Nice site Cathy, thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
KarenRC wrote
on Dec 11, 2014 3:40 PM

Hi Meg!  I have 2 N Hooks.  They are also different and one is Susan Bates and the other is a Boye.  I grabbed the N and then seeing the other larger one I thought for sure it was a P.  The Boye is N-9.00MM and the Susan Bates is US N15/10.00mm.  I believe these are both US hooks.  I was so used to these from years ago this is what I had gotten again.  I still like them and they are cheap.  But why the difference who knows.

Karen

Not Ranked
Posts 4
KarenRC wrote
on Dec 11, 2014 3:45 PM

I want the Crochet Bible.  I work at Joann's so we get a dicount.  But when we got paid and I went to find it it was gone.  There are too many I want.  I want something that gives me the most advanced stitches.  Right now I am crochet an afghan in a modified popcorn stitch and the one I am crochet for my niece is the cable stitch.  The next one I want to do is the crocodile stitch. 

There are so many good books out there and hard to choose from!

Karen

onecraftycathy:

My favorite book is "Basic Crochet Stitches" by Interweave's The Harmony Guides.   I  like making scarves and having them on hand for gift giving and every year I make a ton of newborn to children size hats for our community's annual Christmas gift giving.   This book has 250 crochet stitchs so even though I'm making the same basic pattern with a scarf or hat, each project is unique because I can choose a different stitch pattern from this book.  I am an average crocheter but this book makes me look like a pro! 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
KarenRC wrote
on Dec 11, 2014 3:50 PM

Such a great idea!  Never thought about the library holding a class.  I want to teach crochet at Joann's but right now we already have a crochet teacher. So I will only teach if she can't be there.

By the way if anyone lived in Southern Maryland area we are looking for an instructor in sewing and quilting.  We could also use one for painting like fabric painting and kids painting.  I am the education coordinator there and we are trying to build up the classes again.  They were not very well attended due to no marketing. 

I will mention this to my library.  But when I went to look for crochet books they didn't have many but then again I was looking for ebooks.  I will check out the regular books at the library.

Karen

spinlizzy:

And another thing: I give a monthly class in crochet and knitting at the library. If you library doesn't currently offer one, suggest it! We're always on the lookout for adult programs, and if you tell them that you (and some of your friends) will attend a crochet class, they'll find a teacher, I promise (those "numbers" again!)

And all of this is free, free, free.

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS