Blueprint Crochet

This post has 15 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 12:59 PM

I am an old dog, but I sure can learn new tricks!!!

I have come across a couple of patterns now that use crochet symbols and not written instructions. Disappointed, I passed these pretty patterns by -- no longer! I saw this book in the recent sale and immediately purchased it. I use this book as a workbook, reading through each section and then working the samples. I was an unbeliever up until this morning.

I was working on a new pattern for cotton washcloths that just wasn't working out right. No matter how I read the instructions, they just didn't make sense to me and I couldn't get the crocheting to work. So at lunch today, I sat down and created a "blueprint" of the pattern. Holy Cow! It worked! The pattern makes sense now, the stitches work (at least on paper) and I can see exactly what should be happening in each row!

Thank you, Robyn Chachula, and Interweave for this wonderful book!

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL
http://4evercrochet.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,221
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 11:39 AM

I love creating stitch diagrams or "blueprints" as well. My project notebook and random scrap pieces of paper at home and work are covered with what anyone other than a crocheter would see as a complicated code of "crosses", "T"s and circles. :D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 12:41 PM

I am so new to this! When I first saw a pattern completely done with symbols, I panicked @_@! LOL

But I hate to be unyielding in my crafts / art, so I made the conscious decision to try to learn. I am so glad I did. I consider myself an advanced crocheter and usually depend on a row or two to see the patterns as I work. This will really help me to see the pattern before I pick up a crochet hook. I may not give up my written instructions entirely, but now I can follow both and that's a really good feeling. I wish there were a computer program where I could whip up designs. I'm a computer junkie. Big Smile

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,221
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 1:14 PM

I know. We've been searching for a good, easy program for a while and there really isn't a simple program out there. You can create stitch diagrams using Adobe Illustrator and I've even seen a few created with programs like Paint but, especially until you get the hang of it, they can be pretty time intensive. You basically have to create the symbols and then place them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 1:24 PM

Oh well, I guess it's pen and paper for me for the time being. LOL

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jun 25, 2010 9:28 PM

I got the BLueprint coming. It is new to me to crochet with symbols. There are several new stitches added since I crocheted 30 years ago. I have made several projects from Interweave Crochet.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Jun 30, 2010 9:08 AM

Sorry it's taken so long to respond . . . I've been crocheting off and on for about 40 years and consider myself to be pretty advanced. But symbol crochet scared the daylights out of me. lol

I must say, this book is phenomenal! After just the first chapter, I've been able to read some of my newer patterns which include the symbology. In fact my latest project, The Forest Reflections Shawl from the Summer issue of Interweave Crochet, was a little daunting until I followed the symbol crochet at the end of the pattern to get started, and then the rest made complete sense. Now I wish more patterns included crochet symbols! 

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,221
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jun 30, 2010 12:13 PM

I think more patterns will include stitch diagrams as more crocheters begin using them. I have seen some fantastic examples of entire garments with instructions only in stitch diagrams (some of them very lace and intricate). Stitch diagrams are also great if you are designing in crochet. They allow you to visually represent the pattern as you go or before you begin creating it. It takes some of the scariness out of making up your own designs.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
emonsk wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 10:41 AM

Thank you very much for posting and sharing this great article. It is so interesting. I want to know some other information about this site. So please give me this news quickly. I always will be aware of you.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
lady.fiddler wrote
on Jan 5, 2011 1:24 PM

Greetings,

The International Symbol Crochet patterns are produced everywhere except the USA.  Doesn't that just make you want to scream?  It does me, too.

In the States we used to have a magazine by the name of Magic Crochet.  Almost every pattern was presented in the International Symbol Crochet.  Look on E-bay for old copies. 

Also, I have found International Symbol Crochet patterns on Russian and South American websites, but go there will a fully updated antivirus progam running, and I block 'scripts'.  If you don't know how to do that, then stay within the USA websites.

Here is a link to a Russian (.ru) website which I have caused it to be translated into English through Babelfish.com.  These are doily patterns, and the word doily translates to be "Napkin".  Regardless of the language translation, the symbols are the same around the world.

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=ru_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fpetli.sitecity.ru%2fphtml_0809210542.phtml

Remember, filet crochet is done by symbols and there are free patterns in abundance.  One particular nice soft cover book is titled:  The Filet Crochet Book printed and bound in Hong Kong in 1990 and it was distributed in Canada by Sterling Publishing.  ISBN number 0-8069-5822-7

Another USA and Canadian distributed International Symbol Crochet pattern soft cover book was produced by Coats & Clark in 1992 with a title of: "Anchor - More Pineapple Lace, Fine Lace Crochet" and an article number of "Art. No. 17743" and an ISBN of 0-87040-89-5

Then, there is yet one more soft cover book, "Ondori, Crochet Lace with Complete Diagrams" printed in 1977 with an ISBM of 0-87040-415-6 printed in Japan.,  This book has doilies, table clothes, Bruges crochet (lovely work), table runners, coasters, etc.  All thread crochet.

Do be careful with this next lead of information:  Often times you can obtain photographs of symbol crochet magazine pages, however, proceed with caution before you download an image of the pages because they could bring you a virus along with the image.  With that said, I have found crochet pattern book pages, with symbols, at Picassa.com when I searched for "Crochet Magazines"

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=crochet+magazines&psc=G&filter=1#

Make friends with someone in Brazil, Argentina, Japan, or Belgium (for the Bruges lace) and ask if they will send you magazine subscription information for International Symbol Crochet in their country.  

This is beginning to sound like the Ginzu Knife commercial... but wait, there's MORE!

A new font has been developed of crochet symbols for sale at $3.00.  See if it might work for your symbol development needs.  I bought it and found that I could draw the pattern faster than I could manipulate the font character into position through my graphics software.  Oh, please... someone develop software for symbol crochet!

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/adriprints/stitchin/

Hope this helps.

E. Christina Dabis

lady.fiddler@hotmail.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,221
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jan 20, 2011 1:35 PM

Hi carolibartels. Have you checked out Weaving Today? Their website would be a great place to look for or ask about blueprints. If you aren't already signed up for this community you can sign in using the same username and password you use on Crochet Me. Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
aeon jiminy wrote
on May 14, 2011 4:01 PM

Yes, I'm very excited also. Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jun 17, 2011 8:44 AM

Thanks for sharing the link with us.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Jaimehall79 wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 6:51 AM

I got the BLueprint coming. It is new to me to crochet with symbols. There are several new stitches added since I crocheted 30 years ago. I have made several projects from Interweave Crochet?

Not Ranked
Posts 10
teonaaa3 wrote
on Jul 3, 2012 2:45 AM

Shellie first of all you aren't an old dog :)) we all young ones learn and love crochet from grandmas' :)) By the way I learned it from my grandma, and the second thing I saw all these amazing thing you have done, they are wonderful, I wish one day I'll be able to crochet so, too :)

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS