Why is there knitting in my normally fantastic crochet mag?

This post has 51 Replies | 18 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
SebastianeA wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 1:29 PM

Problem is, the whole issue looks like a bad April Fool's joke. There's knitted pattern with crochet 'embellishments', meaning that the vital part is the knitted one and the embellishment is just something put there to say it's a mixed project. Overall, I don't like anymore the kind of garments the magazine offers, so I think it's also, for me, a matter of taste. Pity tho, because the accessories, like those hats, are quite lovely.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
kcrochet wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 2:05 PM

For those who are saying they will subscribe to another magazine, i would like to ask what magazine that will be?  I find that IC has the most stylish garment designs and by far the best informational articles of any crochet magazine.  If there is something better i would like to know about it!  

Not Ranked
Posts 6
2Tabbies wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 2:38 PM

I agree with kcrochet. I wouldn't abandon ship yet. I really haven't seen any other magazines that are comparable. I understand Inside Crochet is great, but since it's British, it's a bit pricey to get in the US. Hopefully, this issue of IC is just a fluke.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
girlglory wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 2:51 PM

I guess what I am saying is that I wouldn't subscribe to a magazine that features knit (or partially knit) projects.  I can wait, borrow from a library, or if I feel the need, I can purchase an individual issue. But subscribe? No thanks.

As a sidenote--the knit/crochet projects are gorgeous! But it doesn't make me want to pick up 2 sticks.  It makes me annoyed that they didn't focus on all-crocheted garments that look like that (we all know it can be done!)

In other words IC-- don't tell me I should use knitting to get the gorgeous styles.  Show me those styles in 100% crochet--thats what makes people oooh and ahhh! Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
AdrienneV wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 2:52 PM

I think to judge IC on a single issue is a bit harsh.  Don't cancel your subscriptions just yet, guys and gals.  (Btw, you can get Inside Crochet as a digital subscription which is cheaper, if you don't mind not holding the issue in your hot little hands. )

Not Ranked
Posts 10
JanP wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 4:51 PM

It all comes down to this:  the name of the magazine is "Crochet" - not mixed stitches or knit and crochet.  An occasional project is ok, but not several in one issue.  You know that they had to expect some flack about this issue. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
BeKKnits wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 11:26 AM

When I saw there was going to be knitted-and-crocheted items in IC, I was excited.  Of course I'm a knitter (gasp) and crocheter. .

Not Ranked
Posts 3
InStitches52 wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 3:48 PM

I think it is fabulous that you can do both. I wish I could, but  for me this is physically not possible. And even if I could do both my opinion would be the same on this one. The issue here is not about a feud between knitters and crocheters anymore than it is about expanding our stitching horizons. This is about getting value; getting what you paid for which in this case is crochet patterns. Were the reverse in play with a knitting magazine I would feel the same.

Those who purchased a subscription have paid in advance for the patterns in each issue. And it is not unreasonable for those subscribers to expect all the patterns in each issue to be crochet since they subscribed to a crochet magazine. To have the patterns be something other than what they expected is very much like being cheated out of a paid for piece of publishing real estate.

There is nothing wrong in combining knit and crochet; they can and often do compliment one another. It is just that it should have been done in a special issue apart from the subscription of either IC or IK.

I've been down this road before. Years ago I subscribed to Magic Crochet because it was all crochet all the time. Then they started adding knitting and eventually added other crafts. Over time this ruined the magazine for me.

I believe IC made a huge mistake with this and just hope it won't be a new trend.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
2Tabbies wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 4:51 PM

I'm not going to yell at you! I'll just try to explain why I'm not happy with this issue. I agree with InStitches52. I subscribed to a crochet magazine not a crochet and knitting magazine or a general needlework magazine. I have nothing against knitting or combining the two crafts, but I don't happen to knit so a section of this issue, which I've already paid for, is useless to me.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
andrealc2 wrote
on Aug 15, 2010 4:53 PM

Being new to finding IC online,  I was so excited to see the free issue offered with a new subscription, I was just about to complete my online order when I decided to read the feedback section, I am now very concerned and I am having doubts to whether I should send in my order now for the fall edition. I do not knit at all, no, none, zip! so with 30% of the magazine being devoted to mixed or knitted projects and only four magazine a year, it would not be worth the money for me to invest in a product I could not get the most benefits from.

I am on a very limited income and wanted to treat myself to one more good magazine other than my painting magazine this coming year. Nothing against knitting and maybe I might try my hand at it someday but I really wanted to get the most out of the only two subscriptions I will have for the next year or so. So with this in mind I probably will wait and see what happens, if any feedback will be posted? If not I will choose another craft activity magazine, maybe needlpoint?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
HippieNation wrote
on Aug 15, 2010 5:21 PM

I primarily crochet (because that is what my mom taught me when I was a child), but over the years I have taught myself to knit easy projects as well.  I have browsed through many, MANY "craft" magazines over the years, and it's been my experience that many knitting magazines routinely offer some crochet patterns as well.  I personally don't feel that IC meant to alienate anyone by offering some knitting patterns in their  next issue.  No doubt they felt their readers, for the most part, were interested in some patterns combining the beauty of both knit and crochet in garments so dedicated this issue to that.  I've subscribed to many crochet magazines over the years and to me, IC overall has the best patterns hands down.  What can I say?  Any thing fiber related get's me all giddy!  Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on Aug 29, 2010 11:04 AM

For me, it's a truth in advertising issue. I subscribed to a crochet magazine in the reasonable expectation that it would give me crochet patterns. This issue doesn't meet that expectation.

I feel more strongly about this because knitting is physically painful for me due to old RSIs. But even if I simply chose not to knit, I'd be bothered because I signed up for a crochet magazine.

This is exacerbated by the fact that there is a crocheted accessories issue out there that I would want, but that is not included in my subscription.

There may be room out there for a knit-and-crochet magazine. I'm sure Interweave would do a fantastic job with one. Go for it with my blessing, but please don't do this again.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Judy Goyer wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 2:24 PM

Last month I subscribed to Interweave Crochet. This week I got my first issue, with 20 pages of crochet/knit.  I agree with those who wrote that there are many knitting mags out there; few crochet.  I chose to subscribe to IC because I thought it was the best of the crochet mags.

There are as many pages in this issue as in previous issues, but 20 pages are devoted to crochet/knit. I am not happy either.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
sharon.long wrote
on Sep 30, 2010 8:19 AM

I can't tell you the times I ordered a pamphlet that said knit and crochet patterns only to find that 13 of the 15 patterns were knit and two were crochet. I have to get on this band wagon with everyone else.  I went for a stroll in the magazine department of my local ASDA (Walmart in the UK). There was not even ONE crochet magazine.  There were around 10 knitting magazines though. Several even came with wool and knitting needles. There are probably, without having to exaggerate, 10's of thousands of knitting patterns available either to buy or just free on the internet. There are only four crochet magazines that I have been able to find in North America and the UK. Up until this year I have subscribed to all of them.  Then one magazine committed the unforgivable offense of using crochet patterns that anyone can get free off the internet.  When I wrote in to complain the answer I got back was a standardized message saying how they were committed to bringing quality patterns and blah, blah, blah. A real non-answer. So I dropped my subscription.  I was looking through one site and it had quite a few patterns that said crochet and when you got there was a seater with crocheted edging.  It is very frustrating.  And now to find out that my crocheted subscription money is going to be spent on knitting patterns.....I can knit. Very basic rows, like for a scarf.  I don't like to knit. I'm sure that the people who enjoy it get a great deal out of it. I'm sure they are wonderful people. I know several dozen. I am not one of them. With all of the knitting choices that are out there today, can we crocheters, who have been looked down upon for long, can we not have just a couple of magazines that are just crochet? Will there be an equal amount of crochet (1/3 of their patterns) in the Interweave Knit magazine? I just don't understand why. I think I wll head over to the interweave site and ask them. I believe that if you want something to change you have to do something to make it change. I hope that everyone that reads this will do the same whether it is before or after the issue comes out. We need to tell Interweave that this is not what WE, the people who PAY for this magazine want.  We want CROCHET. Not knitting. If we wanted knitting, we certainly would know where to find it (Everywhere!!).  If we flooded Interweave Crochet's mailbox with emails saying we weren't happy with this, you'd see change very quickly.. Well, here goes!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jaydra wrote
on Sep 30, 2010 2:54 PM

I don't understand what the exact problem is. This is a one time thing, for people who do knit and crochet. I don't think that this will become a trend, and it is not a forever thing. They weren't planning on making this a forever thing, so email won't change anything since they weren't planning to keep knitting in anyway. I do realize that you paid for crochet patterns, but if you plan to go to a different magazine, please tell me which one. One Magazine out of hundreds does not make it a bad magazine.

Page 2 of 4 (52 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS