Lap blankets for our seniors

This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Iamsocrafty wrote
on Aug 23, 2010 2:53 PM

Lap blankets make great gifts for the elderly! I work at a nursing home and many of the residents are always saying how cold they are when they are up in their chairs-especially with the air conditioning/central air blasting in their rooms and on the units. With fall on the way and the holidays close behind, how about crocheting at least ONE lap blanket and donating to a nursing home?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ingridteboe wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 8:50 AM

I think making lap blankets is a lovely idea. Soon it will be the new year and the Holiday rush will be over. What a good way to keep our hands busy and our thoughts on others. It's also a good way to use up scraps!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
pat p. wrote
on May 22, 2011 7:29 PM

The elders are always so thrilled that someone thought of them I promise you  that your heart will be so warmed you won't need an afghan!  I always make at least one pocket to put on them for their kleenex and such.  It is also a good idea to sew a Khaki or Denim tag to the back to write their name on with a Sharpie. Many facilities also accept smaller projects- slippers hats and such to use as prizes for their Bingo games etc...  Ask the activities  director.  Happy hooking to all!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
LI Roe wrote
on May 23, 2011 11:38 AM

My mom is in the Alzheimers wing of an assisted living facility and one of the hobby groups of the volunteer organization that I belong to donated 30 lapghans to her unit. They were very well received, one lady wanted to pay for hers, we told her it was a gift. Another man was almost hesitant to accept his since he was not used to having people give things to him but he finally did take it and was just delighted that people he didn't know wanted to give them out. His daughter wrote me a beautiful thank you note. The residents that understood more (they have varying degrees of dementia and Alzheimers) picked out their favorite colors and wrapped themselves in them.

It was a beautiful sight to see them with their lapghans. Unfortunately, the residents come and go (either they pass on or are transferred to nursing homes since most assisted living facilities are private pay) so I am now obtaining a list of the new residents who need one and am getting them done. 

LI Roe

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DeniseA@6 wrote
on Jul 29, 2011 6:49 PM

What measurements would you recommend for a good lap blanket? I want to be sure it's long and wide enough to cover a lap and warm it, but not too long (i.e. not to get stuck in wheelchair wheels, etc.).

Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Dec 27, 2012 1:56 PM

I just saw this while looking for another wheelchair-friendly lap blanket.  The pattern I used for my last one is the perfect size, though.  It's a pattern my mother-in-law used to use.  Here are the details:

Lap Robe In Brick Stitch:

Materials:  15 oz. worsted weight yarn, size H hook

ABBREVIATIONS

ch = chain, dc = double crochet, sp = space, sc = single crochet

Ch 120 loosely. (If you have difficulty making starting chs loose enough, use a larger hook for this chain only.)

Row 1:  3dc in 4th ch from hook,*skip 3 ch, 1sc in next ch, ch3, 3dc in same ch.  Repeat from * across, ending 1 sc in last ch.  Ch 3, turn.

Row 2:  3 dc in sc, * in ch-3 sp, work 1 sc, sh3, 3dc.  Repeat from * across, ending with sc in top of ch-3 of previous row.  Ch 3, turn.

Repeat row 2 until 57 rows are completed.  Do not finish off.

BORDER:  Continue to work in pattern on three straight sides, making the 1 sc, ch-3, 3 dc in the same place they were made at the ends of rows on the sides and in the same chs as on the starting ch.  Finish off.  Block lightly, if needed.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS